frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Negative bias - biological or social?

Debate Information

Negative bias in psychology is a well-known phenomenon according to which people tend to fear the negative outcome more than anticipate the positive outcome, causing avoidance behaviors. It also causes us to focus on the negative aspects of our lives, taking the positive ones for granted.

A very famous type of studies demonstrating this bias are ones in which the participants are offered to roll a dice, where with 50% change they gain X amount of money, and with 50% chance they lose it. While mathematically the expectation gain from this game is 0, participants statistically are much more likely to avoid playing this game than to agree to it.

Here are some more relatable examples from our lives:
  1. When we get a raise at our job, but a lot of our co-workers get a larger raise, we tend to focus on the latter and feel mistreated.
  2. When we have romantic feelings towards someone and want to confess them, we tend to fear the rejection more than hope for the acceptance and, hence, refrain from approaching them.
  3. When we eat great food, we take it from granted, but when we eat terrible food, we experience a lot of negativity.
  4. Major news TV programs almost exclusively deliver bad news, even though objectively the vast majority of events happening virtually anywhere on the planet - even in the hottest conflict spots - are good.
  5. When driving our car - an absolutely amazing product of technology - every day, we do not think much of it. However, should we get into a minor accident just once, we become extremely upset.
There are many different opinions on what causes negative bias. Some believe that it is a purely biological effect, deriving from our basic self-preservation instinct: it makes sense to avoid every dangerous situation, because every time you expose yourself to one, your survival becomes threatened on some level. Others believe that it is purely a product of social conditioning: society as a whole has negative bias, and it cultivates it in children from a very young age. Others still think it is more complicated, and both the society and the biology are responsible for it - and, for that matter, society itself has a negative bias for partially biological reasons.

In my experience, it is possible to overcome negative bias to a large degree by forcing yourself to focus on the positive aspects of every situation and by facing your fears to see that they are exaggerated - however, it does not appear to be possible to get rid of it completely, and flashbacks occur every now and then when you decide to avoid a situation out of fear of objectively minor negative outcome.

What is your take on this? Do you think negative bias has biological or social roots? And can it be overcome?
  1. Live Poll

Is negative bias rooted in biology or social conditioning?

3 votes
    1. Biology
      33.33%
    2. Social conditioning
        0.00%
    3. Both
      33.33%
    4. It is complicated...
      33.33%
  2. Live Poll

Do you think negative bias can be overcome?

3 votes
    1. Yes, it can be overcome completely.
        0.00%
    2. It can be overcome partially.
      100.00%
    3. It cannot be overcome.
        0.00%
    4. It can only get stronger!
        0.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    Psychopathy is sometimes called the cure for the modern era. Psychopaths are somewhat misunderstood in our society, but fundamentally a psychopath is someone who has no conception or has no conscious consideration for the negative. Psychopaths do not worry about the draw backs and instead focus almost entirely on the positives, sometimes to a degree that causes anti-social behavior or inconsiderate impulsive action.

This is relevant because psychopaths do not have a negative bias, they are not irrational, rather they are a little too rational. When they focus on only the positives they become unlike a typical person who would avoid risks due to negative bias, and will instead take any risks they think are in their favor. They will therefore, always play the dice game, work harder to get the raise, approach love interests without fear of rejection, never eat bad food (only mediocre or good), only see the good in the news, and ignore any and all traffic accidents.

My personal pet theory, (one I have little hard evidence for I will admit) is that when people try to eliminate negative bias and "focus on the positives" in an extreme and rather toxic sense, the way many self help gurus will suggest you should live, what they are really suggesting is that you should emulate the psychopath, because they are not so strongly affected by these types of negative thinking.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6049 Pts   -  
    @Happy_Killbot

I see your point, but I think negative/positive bias refers to something different. You are talking about the lack of acknowledgement of the negative, while I implied an emotional detachment from it. That is, when you employ positive bias, you still acknowledge the negatives, dangers and so on, but they no longer define how you feel and what you do. You acknowledge them, take them into consideration and move on, enjoying the positives in the meantime.

Suppose you want to ask your boss for a raise. You obviously want to acknowledge the risks: if you do not and just, say, walk into your boss'es office every day and ask for a raise, then you will likely get fired soon, getting on his/her nerves. However, negative bias not only allows you to acknowledge those risks, but also hits you hard emotionally with them, making it extremely hard for you to actually take action. In this particular case you might be afraid that your boss will disapprove of your request, and even though the actual negative consequences of such a disapproval are very unlikely to be significant, their theoretical possibility still holds you back.
    While if you have a positive bias, then you could think like this: "I want to ask my boss for a raise. I have a good case to make, and my boss is reasonable, so he should take my request seriously. Let's do it!" You do realise that you might get a rejection, but you focus on the possibility of the positive outcome, and it empowers you to take action.

Obviously there is an extreme to this as well, when, for example, you decide to jump off the bridge, thinking, "I will likely die, but there is a possibility that I will survive. It looks like a fun thing to do, so let's do it!" You definitely do not want to be careless, but you do want to be brave and decisive.

Back when I did boxing, my trainer used a very catchy phrase that can be roughly translated to English as follows: "You must be relaxed and collected, not relaxed and sloppy". In boxing, it is very important to keep your body relaxed at most points in time, which gives your movements a lot of flexibility, conserves your energy and makes your punches "snappy" - however, while relaxed, you still must be fully in control of your body. If you relax and just get lazy, then a more focused opponent will take advantage of that.
    It is the same here, I feel: you should not be "obliviously positive" where you only consider positives and make a lot of mistakes, but you should be "informedly positive" where you keep negatives in mind and adjust your actions accordingly, while letting the positives guide you. Negatives define the rules of the road you are driving on, and positives tell you where on this road you should go.
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar Psychopaths are aware of the negatives and pitfalls, they will not work harder than they have to if they want to achieve a goal. It isn't that they are unaware of the risks so much as they just don't care.

A psychopath would not hesitate to ask his boss for a raise, but if he doesn't think that it will work or he sees that he is getting on his boss's nerves he isn't going to try that way, instead he might go out of his way to show that he deserves the raise before asking again. The way a psychopath solves a problem is completely goal oriented. They want X so do Y and Z, who cares about the fallout.

It's hard to explain where I am coming from with this because I am not a psychologist, but every book I have read on this subject seems to indicate something like that, and even seems to indicate that the cure for negative bias is to be born a psychopath.
    MayCaesar
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.