frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

what do i see?

Debate Information

do you believe that subliminal programing is effective and do you think it should be allowed in a visual format such as television, movies, and magazines?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• This is actually a well-known myth amongst many psychologists. It's known as a pop psychology myth. Basically, there's absolutely no evidence that subliminal messaging works.

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I think it IS effective … for some. People are susceptible to SOME THINGS, some more than others. Some need very little to have an idea implanted in their heads, some take a lot of convincing. I think it's the same with subliminals. Those that are quick to say "That's a good idea" are more apt to "soak it up" than someone who usually says …..hmmmmm.
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    so are you saying that the sub-conscious mind simply does not pick up on the subliminal message, or it doesn't cause any effect?
    @ZeusAres42
  • maxx said:
    so are you saying that the sub-conscious mind simply does not pick up on the subliminal message, or it doesn't cause any effect?
    @ZeusAres42

@maxx I am saying there is no evidence to support that subliminal messaging works or is effective. This is also something that has been studied many times to see if people were affected and the tests have thus yielded no positive results. There is also no reason why it shouldn't be allowed in visual format but I wouldn't want them to get their hopes up. I mean let's face it; some advertizers have a hard enough time to sell their product let alone trying to use subliminal messaging.

• maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    is not subliminal messages simply another form of hypnosis? @ZeusAres42
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    There is no evidence that subliminal programming (at least of the kind attempted so far) makes absolutely any difference in the affected individual's thought patterns.

In Soviet Union they were very interested (for obvious reasons) in the possibility to alter people's thought patters though electromagnetic or sound waves and invested a lot in the research of this, but did not get to anything practically useful.
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    true, however, even in the lack of real evidence, it is quite possible it can work in certain situations if the product goes hand-in-hand with what the consumer is doing in the first place.  a case in point; back in the late 70s, movie theatres combined the soft buttery smelly of hot freshly made popcorn through the vents of the theatre along with the flashing of popcorn being made on the screen at a subconscious level and the theatres claimed it did boost their sales. just the smell alone? perhaps. however, a good hypnotist can easily make a subject thirsty by suggesting  they will be so once they see a certain image.@MayCaesar
  • maxx said:
    true, however, even in the lack of real evidence, it is quite possible it can work in certain situations if the product goes hand-in-hand with what the consumer is doing in the first place.  a case in point; back in the late 70s, movie theatres combined the soft buttery smelly of hot freshly made popcorn through the vents of the theatre along with the flashing of popcorn being made on the screen at a subconscious level and the theatres claimed it did boost their sales. just the smell alone? perhaps. however, a good hypnotist can easily make a subject thirsty by suggesting  they will be so once they see a certain image.@MayCaesar

I was recently reading a book on more than 50 great pop psychology myths. And if I am not mistaken I think the study you are talking about here might be to do with a fabricated hoax that was actually even admitted by the hoaxster himself finally. However, even after his confession people still continued to believe in this stuff.@maxx

• VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    It's difficult to reconcile "There's no evidence to suggest that subliminal messaging makes a difference" with "Almost all countries with a broadcast agency have laws that specifically prohibit the use of subliminal messaging.  The U.S. doesn't have a law for it but instead allows the FCC to regulate such things and the FCC will revoke the license of any company that uses subliminal messages in their broadcasting.

Again...difficult to see how it's hogwash when every country with broadcasting capability has a specific law that prohibits it and the FCC in the U.S. will strip broadcasting licenses if you try it.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2668 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    Vaulk said:
    It's difficult to reconcile "There's no evidence to suggest that subliminal messaging makes a difference" with "Almost all countries with a broadcast agency have laws that specifically prohibit the use of subliminal messaging.  The U.S. doesn't have a law for it but instead allows the FCC to regulate such things and the FCC will revoke the license of any company that uses subliminal messages in their broadcasting.

Again...difficult to see how it's hogwash when every country with broadcasting capability has a specific law that prohibits it and the FCC in the U.S. will strip broadcasting licenses if you try it.

That, funnily enough, was also in the book I was reading. By the way, I highly recommend reading https://www.amazon.com/Great-Myths-Popular-Psychology-Misconceptions/dp/1405131128

But they also managed to explain how this was irrelevant to the lack of evidence. I haven't actually read it all yet, but there is a wealth of information in it.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk

There are plenty of laws and rules based on superstitions, rather than rigorous scientific conclusions. Virtually all law enforcement agencies in the world, for example, use lie detectors in various circumstances, which are based on pseudo-scientific theories on how human brain works.

Governments are not populated by the most knowledgeable people, and constantly introduce useless and/or harmful laws.