frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Mitt Romney voted guilty on Article 1, did he break away from the partisan think-tank?

Debate Information

Mitt Romney is now the only senator in U.S history to vote against their party in an impeachment trial. This was a shock to many people, as everybody expected the Republicans and Democrats to vote exclusively by their own party per usual. Was Mitt Romney showcasing his individual thought away from the political divide?

Romney stated: “Corrupting an election to keep one’s self in office is perhaps the most abusive and destructive violation of one’s oath of office that I can imagine”

Doesn't this sound like something a Democrat would say? Trump and many other Republicans thought so, and Romney expected the "abuse" to follow his vote. Trump referred to him as a "democrat secret asset" and mocked his decision as Romney expected. Many Utah Republicans now want Mitt Romney to be recalled from office and denounced him all because of this vote.

Did Romney truly think Trump was guilty, as he stated? Did Romney want his individual voice to be heard, away from the partisan vote?
We_are_accountable
why so serious?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• We_are_accountableWe_are_accountable 1147 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    You must be ignorant of Romney's and Trump's past. Romney has always hated Trump for differences from past elections. This was purely a get even vote from Romney. Anyone who listened to the Transcript understood that this entire impeachment process has been a Partisan Democrat witch hunt. It did not even come close to the type of thing that should remove a duly elected President from office, especially on an election year.

The GOP could have tried to impeach Obama for the IRS scandal, the Fast and furious scandal, the Benghazi scandal, Hillary's private sever scandal, etc. etc. but had the simple common sense not to put our nation through such a thing. @smoothie
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    @We_are_accountable They did have a negative history, good point. So you believe he was just trying to "get back" at Trump with this vote?
    why so serious?
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Romney showed integrity, one can disagree with his policies (I still do) but no one can say he has no integrity without being disingenuous...  He's light years away from the likes of Lindsey Graham, Rand Paul and others who said Trump was unfit for office, a crazy lunatic and all sorts of other quite accurate descriptives before he was elected... 
    We_are_accountableCYDdharta
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6051 Pts   -  
    It is a very strange expectation to have that people will always vote the way the majority of their party votes. Political parties consist of large numbers of individuals with large spectra of opinions, and it is reasonable to expect, more often than not, some votes of dissent. I find it more surprising that not a single Democratic senator voted against the impeachment, despite multiple promises to do so to make a stance against the clearly partisan motion.

There is a reason many Founding Fathers were against political parties: they were afraid of just this, that the parties would eventually consume their members and become large authoritarian powers, skewing democratic consensus. In my opinion, there should be no parties as valid legal entities whatsoever, and every individual should run as independent, so people could vote for individuals, not groups of individuals, and elected individuals, in turn, could vote as elected individuals, not groups of individuals.
    smoothiePlaffelvohfenHappy_KillbotBlastcat
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    Mitt Romney is the only senator who has the integrity and moral character to do what he thinks is right, and not bow to partisan antics.

I don't agree with a lot of his policies, but there is a respectable man.
    PlaffelvohfenDeeWe_are_accountableCYDdhartasmoothie
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • LOL, do you have any idea how many times Democrats and those on the Left insulted Romney for being a part of what they called a Mormon cult when he ran for President against Obama?

Now since he was the lone RINO who voted for just the one article of impeachment against Trump, Democrats all respect and love him.

Do you understand politics and what hypocritical phonies they are?@Happy_Killbot
    Plaffelvohfensmoothie
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    Romney hates our President for the 2016-election and the debates where Romney lost so "bigly." Romney is a mindless Democrat in sheep's clothing..a traitor and an embarrassment.
    Blastcat
    Romney hates our President for the 2016-election and the debates where Romney lost so "bigly." Romney is a  Democrat in sheep's clothing..a traitor and an embarrassment.
    Blastcat
    I had something to say about Romney but the Censorship restricting this debate forum would not permit me to post my comment.

Blastcat
    @We_are_accountable
    Being a Mormon has a lot to do with what I disagree with him on.

I'm not a Democrat.
    smoothiePlaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

• smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD So you automatically turned against Mitt Romney because he went against Trump?

I thought he shared extremely similar views to your own. I guess this shows the effect of partisan collective thought and repressed individualism as I expected in the major political parties.
    why so serious?
    @smoothie

Rickey will tell you that he cares about god and Jesus more than anything else, but I think that deep down he is fully aware that it's all just comforting lies. So he is perfectly fine going against those that better align with his own beliefs if it means putting his true lord and savior on a pedestal, Donald Trump.
    smoothiePlaffelvohfen