frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Eugenics: For or Against?

Debate Information

I am a supporter of eugenics. This process may be necessary in order to stay as the dominant species on our changing planet. However, I recognise that there is quite a heated debate to be had, as many people do not support eugenics, so I would be interested to debate with these people.
  1. Live Poll

Do you support eugenics?

3 votes
    1. Yes
      33.33%
    2. No
      66.67%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Neither really, because I'm anti-natalist... To me, the very act of intentional procreation is immoral so whether it's selective or not is irrelevant from my perspective. 
    We_are_accountable
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    Eugenics is a dated idea which is becoming increasingly less relevant. The advent of modern genetic tools and technologies make it so that any and all advantages that could be derived, and in fact could have ever been derived, are worthless. Remember, eugenics takes many generations to work effectively. Genetic engineering can take place in a single generation. If the idea for eugenics had been devised and put into practice several hundreds of years ago, we may only just be at the point where we would be seeing benefits today.

Eugenics is much to slow to guarantee our survival, only by directly editing the human genome can we guarantee rapid adaptation. While eugenics in principal would work, I don't think that the end goal could ever be determined in time to save the world from some climatic disaster or natural cataclysm.
    PlaffelvohfenWe_are_accountable
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    Yes, selective breeding of humans seems to be pretty irrelevant, given the state of genetic engineering and its development rate these days.

Nor would it be important even if it was relevant from the individual perspective. I live here and now and will not be able to reap the benefits of selective breeding, so it does not matter to me. Let people caring about things like "legacy" and "dynasty" worry about it; as far as my individual perception goes, I will kick legs one day (pretty soon by the historical standards) and none of this will be affecting me. Live today, not tomorrow, and certainly not 200 years into the future!
    Plaffelvohfen