frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Thank God For Atheism

Debate Information

So, God lets us get cancer.

Then it takes atheists with their science to cure it.
We_are_accountablePlaffelvohfen

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• @Normal_1

Aamzing how you give God all the credit for Cancer and other bad things, but no credit for all the wonderful things in life.

Do you have any idea how bigoted and ludicrous your debate is? You are a typical insecure judgmental Progressive who spends his life demonizing people for their beliefs. How shallow and arrogant a person you must be.
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRI
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5971 Pts   -  
    By the same logic, God gives us atheists who cure cancer as well. It goes both ways.

I do want to make the same notion as @Vaulk did a while ago: this is not the kind of post initiating a serious debate. You should put in a bit more effort than that; a two-line joke is not going to cut it.
    Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfenZeusAres42
  • Normal_1Normal_1 54 Pts   -  
    "Aamzing how you give God all the credit for Cancer and other bad things, but no credit for all the wonderful things in life.
    Do you have any idea how bigoted and ludicrous your debate is? You are a typical insecure judgmental Progressive who spends his life demonizing people for their beliefs. How shallow and arrogant a person you must be."

Now that you have gotten your unwarranted personal attack off your chest and tried to derail the topic, how about actually addressing and making a reasoned response to the topic.

It's a  serious topic and I don't think it deserves that kind of gutter talk.
    @We_are_accountable
    We_are_accountableAlofRI
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @Normal_1 I agree with MayCaesar on this, this is a meme I would drop as a joke after I had won the debate several times over to prevent myself from losing faith in humanity that someone could disregard logic that bad.

Technically, it isn't even true. While scientists are more likely to be atheists or agnostics when compared to the general public, it is not absolute. I am no expert on the history of the beliefs of he scientists who developed cancer treatments, but I would not believe that all of them were atheists.

On top of this, god doesn't need to exist for cancer to exist, and the existence of god doesn't guarantee cancer should exist. Suppose god has a very good but very specific reason to give people cancer, for example there are studies that show that the more spiritually healthy someone is, the more likely they are to survive cancer.
    https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/coping/day-to-day/faith-and-spirituality/spirituality-pdq#_12
    Now it might be that healthier people are more likely to be spiritual, and what qualifies as spiritual is independent of belief in god, having more to do with how trusting you are that good things will happen to you, (example: "God will get me through this") and how not angry at god you are (example: "I hate you god, how could you do this to me?")

MayCaesarPlaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • FYI, if God exists then he is an Atheist. Something that tends to drive some Theists crazy but this is the only logical inference about God's beliefs or lack thereof if he exists.
    Plaffelvohfen

• Normal_1Normal_1 54 Pts   -  
    "Aamzing how you give God all the credit for Cancer and other bad things, but no credit for all the wonderful things in life.
    Do you have any idea how bigoted and ludicrous your debate is? You are a typical insecure judgmental Progressive who spends his life demonizing people for their beliefs. How shallow and arrogant a person you must be."

Wrong:
    I did not give God all of the credit for cancer and made no mention whatsoever of all other things.

My post is highlighting the commonly held complaint that theists tend to shun conventional medicine in favour of faith healing. I am also alluding to the suspicion that the reason theists do this is their deep suspicion of any scientific procedures since they are aware that scientific discoveries have all bu overturned their beliefs.

If you wish to make crude personal attacks then I suggest you take them somewhere else.
    If you disagree with a view then I suggest that intelligent debate may be a better option.
    @We_are_accountable
    We_are_accountablePlaffelvohfen
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    Atheist logic: “So, God lets us get cancer. Then it takes atheists with their science to cure it. Thank God for atheism.”

Christian response…

Only a demon in Hell would be thankful for atheism. The greatest physicians, scientists, were Christians and the Greatest Physician is Jesus Christ. Even if the atheist was responsible for curing cancer, the cure is limited/finite, for the body will die in sin; therefore, the only TRUE cure is the cure for death from sin which is ONLY available by believing in your heart, confessing with your mouth that Jesus Christ is God who died to pay the sin-debt of mankind so that we could receive His perfection over our lives and find righteousness (a right standing) with God the Father and healing for our terminal condition of death in sin and death in Hell i.e. eternal life. Oh, how foolish is the atheist, how mindless and shortsighted is the one who only sees what is before his face...that which is passing away with every successive second. Naturalism is an untenable psychosis.

Thank God for Jesus Christ, NOT a godless atheist!

Happy_Killbot