frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Existence Of God Cannot Be Disproven

Debate Information

What does this mean to theists?

And what does it mean to atheists?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• You cannot prove or disprove a hypothesis that you cannot test. The idea of God is an unfalsifiable idea.
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    Existence of God cannot be disproven.
    Existence of God cannot be proven.

As an atheist it means absolutely nothing to me. It's a moot point.
     Things like the Universe exist, it CAN (but doesn't NEED to), be proved. That it was created BY a "god" cannot be proved, it cannot be ""proven" that it wasn't, but, THIS time, it doesn't HAVE to be, it's THERE. I've SEEN IT! A tiny bit of it anyway. To THIS atheist that means it exists. I don't know where it came from but it IS there! If it means something else to a theist …. prove it …... and while you're about it, there's this "god" thingy. If it's there, I haven't seen it. If you proved it, it WOULD ACTUALLY mean something to this atheist. Til then ...……… o:)
    ZeusAres42PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987
  • Normal_1Normal_1 54 Pts   -  
    You cannot prove or disprove a hypothesis that you cannot test. The idea of God is an unfalsifiable idea.@ZeusAres42
    But we could also, by the same token that the idea of green pigs with wings is an unfalsifiable idea or that any absurd notion cannot be disproved.

We would live in a world of utter chaos if we were to act on the notion that anything is possible.

However, in the case of God, so what if God is not provable? Does the non provability of God give any weight at all to the theist's argument?
    No it doesn't, especially in light of the fact that there is not one shred of evidence to support the absurd notion of there being a God.

In any case, theists have a lot to answer for and the onus should be on them to explain their absurd insistence of there being a God.

In the absence of any evidence for a claim, such a claim should be dismissed without evidence.

ZeusAres42PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987
  • Normal_1 said:
    You cannot prove or disprove a hypothesis that you cannot test. The idea of God is an unfalsifiable idea.@ZeusAres42
    But we could also, by the same token that the idea of green pigs with wings is an unfalsifiable idea or that any absurd notion cannot be disproved.

We would live in a world of utter chaos if we were to act on the notion that anything is possible.

I never said that or implied that we should act on the notion that anything is possible. Just because I said that the notion of God is an unfalsifiable one does not mean that I also think we should act on the notion that anything is possible.
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987

• Normal_1Normal_1 54 Pts   -  
     That it was created BY a "god" cannot be proved, it cannot be ""proven" that it wasn't, but, THIS time, it doesn't HAVE to be@AlofRI
    I think that in order to make an assertion as to the existence of anything, you should have proof.
    We can well understand that theists thought they had unquestionable proof as to Gods existence however since we have indeed questioned the validity of their "proof" their is absolutely nothing at all for theists to base their absurd belief. 
    Theists should therefore go back to accepting the default position....there is no God.
    AlofRIPlaffelvohfen
  • Normal_1 said:

The existence of god can be proven. The problem is many may not like or want to agree to what evidence proves.

AlofRIPlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    John_C_87 said:
    Normal_1 said:

The existence of god can be proven. The problem is many may not like or want to agree to what evidence proves.

I've been here over 80 years, I have seen NO proof or even enough circumstantial evidence, beyond hearsay, to make me even question "His" existence in a positive way. The only "proof" ever offered is an ancient "library of short stories" that was pieced together from the "interpretations" of ancient languages.

If the world was destroyed now and remnants of human beings began to re-inhabit the Earth, thousands of years from now, and they found a stash of comic books, could Superman become our "god"?? Batman and Wonder Woman his "disciples"?? You bet your mule he could! :smirk:
    Plaffelvohfen
  • maxxmaxx 1134 Pts   -  
    except by pointing at the bible; you can not even prove that jesus was real, let alone God@ZeusAres42
    ZeusAres42Plaffelvohfen
  • John_C_87 said:
    Normal_1 said:

Dare I ask how?