frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

People want to be their own gods. Is that good or evil?

Debate Information

People want to be their own gods. Is that good or evil?

The real Original Sin, then and today, to most Christians, is based on this quote.

“For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil" (Gen. 3:5).

Jesus seems to have wanted this to happen, as that would make us his brethren.

Here is the real way to salvation that Jesus taught and that Gnostic Christians have embraced.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Allan Watts explain those quotes in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbesfXXw&feature=player_embedded

If Jesus wants us to know of good and evil, as a prerequisite to being born again as his brethren, it goes well with Jesus’ prediction as quoted above.

That may be why Christians sing that Adam’s sin was a happy fault and necessary to god’s plan.

I am not a literal reader of this myth, but this seems to make sense. It follows then that it makes sense for Adam to ignore Yahweh’s command not to gain an education.

Thoughts?

Regards

DL

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• SebastWeav18SebastWeav18 2 Pts   -  
    First of all, I am not Christian so I may not know 100% of what you are saying. However, I think being your own god can mean different things depending on context. Some people may see themself as the one and only God, is more powerful than anyone and are able to do anything they want. This, obviously is unhealthy and not right. Then, some may think that they are a god who can follow rules of their own. This too is not healthy. However, for those who see themself as a god they can look up to, as someone who is the best version of them possible. This is healthy, it sets an example of them, for them, by them. They are literally seeing the best version of themself and strive to be it. So I believe that thinking you are your own god can mean many things depending on context.
  • GnosticChristianGnosticChristian 285 Pts   -  
    SebastWeav18 said:
    1. Some people may see themself as the one and only God, is more powerful than anyone and are able to do anything they want. This, obviously is unhealthy and not right. 

2.Then, some may think that they are a god who can follow rules of their own. This too is not healthy. 

3. However, for those who see themself as a god they can look up to, as someone who is the best version of them possible. This is healthy, it sets an example of them, for them, by them. 

4. They are literally seeing the best version of themself and strive to be it. 
    Nice that you are not a Christian. Their god is rather satanic.

1. One would have a hard time doing all they want if some of what they want goes beyond the natural. If all they want is natural and does not harm anyone, I do not see where it would be unhealthy or wrong. If it involves harm to others, then we are on the same page.

2. We are to compete to be the fittest. The fittest would set the rules. No? Why would that not be healthy if the conditions above of goodness are met?

3. Bang on. That is what Gnostic Christians are to do but without thinking that the seeking of the best rules and laws to live by ever stops. If we just settle for what we know today, then we might reject something better because of our egos. We strive to raise the bar of excellence perpetually. I read you doing the same from your post. Pardon the assumption.

4. I agree. 
    The archetypal esoteric and mystical Gnostic Christian Jesus in the bible Jesus wants us to train ourselves to use him as our mantra to go inside off ourselves to find our best and emulate his ways. That 8is how I read this quote.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

That would have been great if Rome had not made the Jesus most see in the scriptures as less moral than he should be. 

What do you think of that Jesus' no divorce policy and his substitutional punishment policy?

Regards
    DL

• onethinhandle56onethinhandle56 19 Pts   -   edited March 2020

People wanting to be gods so what about goddesses too? Yeah with great power comes great responsibility. And power can corrupt. Being humble is what they could be instead. 
    God's and goddesses. True.

Humble is an overrated trait.

It is usually for those who lack the conviction of and rightness of their words.

Regards
    DL 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6051 Pts   -  
    I do not really know what it means to be a god. I would certainly not want to have everything handed over to me on a silver plate; one of the most fascinating aspects of life for me is overcoming challenges and growing as a result. If all challenges are gone, then there is little growth left to be made; I would not be able to survive such a predicament and would definitely find a way to self-sabotage, creating new challenges.

I think the importance and, moreover, the attractiveness of overcoming challenges is something a lot of people do not appreciate. So many people say things like, "I wish I had a billion dollars, so I did not have to work any more and could just relax and party all day long" - to me this seems like the worst fate imaginable, and I would rather be in prison where I would have to overcome countless limitations and still make something out of myself, than be partying all day with no purpose.

From this perspective, I would say that people wanting to be their own gods is a bad thing. Of course, it is still preferable to bowing to some other god; people should be in charge of their lives and not delegate everything to some alleged higher authority. But it still misses the mark.
    GnosticChristian
    MayCaesar said:
    I do not really know what it means to be a god. I would certainly not want to have everything handed over to me on a silver plate; one of the most fascinating aspects of life for me is overcoming challenges and growing as a result. If all challenges are gone, then there is little growth left to be made; I would not be able to survive such a predicament and would definitely find a way to self-sabotage, creating new challenges.

I think the importance and, moreover, the attractiveness of overcoming challenges is something a lot of people do not appreciate. So many people say things like, "I wish I had a billion dollars, so I did not have to work any more and could just relax and party all day long" - to me this seems like the worst fate imaginable, and I would rather be in prison where I would have to overcome countless limitations and still make something out of myself, than be partying all day with no purpose.

From this perspective, I would say that people wanting to be their own gods is a bad thing. Of course, it is still preferable to bowing to some other god; people should be in charge of their lives and not delegate everything to some alleged higher authority. But it still misses the mark.
    You do know what a god is, once you take the supernatural garbage that most associate with the word "god" out of the definition.

It looks like you did not miss the mark of life's lessons.

Being a god is just being the best possible human being. God should be defined as the life force within all of us.

Regards
    DL 

• RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    People wanting to be their own god finds its origin in the Genesis with the deception of Eve by Satan and that same desire today emanates from the same culprit, Satan. Atheism, humanism, secularism, naturalism, religions, sects, cults, are all examples of man becoming his own god and living, dying, in futility. Unless a man or woman humbles them self and acknowledges Jesus Christ as God who died to pay their sin-debt, they will not see life in God's Kingdom subsequent to the death of their body in time but they will die in sin and ultimately die the "second death" in Hell in Eternity (John 8:24). Without Jesus Christ as God to mediate your sin, there is no hope!

GnosticChristian
    RickeyD said:
    People wanting to be their own god finds its origin in the Genesis with the deception of Eve by Satan and that same desire today emanates from the same culprit, Satan.
    I see two truthful statements in your quote. Which one do you see as the lie or deception, given that Yahweh confirms it all in Gen 3.

If Satan is so toxic to us, why did Yahweh first put her in Eden where she could access Eve, and why did Yahweh gift her to us, with even more power to deceive the whole world, instead of sending her straight to hell?

Would you put such a creature beside your child? I hope not as that would make you as vile of a parent as Yahweh.

RickeyD said:
     Atheism, humanism, secularism, naturalism, religions, sects, cults, are all examples of man becoming his own god and living, dying, in futility.
    What futility do you see when statistics show clearly that the less religion a nation has to suffer, the more peacefull and law abiding they are. Note how the U.S., that is a Christian nation, is warmongering and has the worst jail and abortion rates of the free world.

You might want to check the facts before trying your lies on others. By mistake of course.

As to Jesus, stop trying to make him as much of a moral monster as his genocidal Father.

The Jesus I know is quite good. The Jesus you know is not at all moral but is not the prick you would make him out to be by you wanting him to break his own laws.

It takes quite an  inflated ego to think a god would actually die for you, after condemning you unjustly in the first place.

You have swallowed a lie and don’t care how evil you make Jesus to keep your feel good get out of hell free card.

It is a lie, first and foremost because, like it or not, having another innocent person suffer or die for the wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral. To abdicate your personal responsibility for your actions or use a scapegoat is immoral.

You also have to ignore what Jesus, as a Jewish Rabbi, would have taught his people.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Deuteronomy 24:16 (ESV) "Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

Psa 49;7  None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

There is no way that you would teach your children to use a scapegoat to escape their just punishments and here you are doing just that.

Jesus is just a smidge less immoral than his demiurge genocidal father, and here you are trying to put him as low in moral fibre as Yahweh.

Regards

DL

• RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    You're ignorant of Truth. A Nation without God is a Nation of chaos and unrest and self-destruction. When I say God, I mean Jesus Christ. The only Nations that hold it together void faith in Christ are those homogeneous, tight knit, Nations that think alike, eat alike, live alike and shy away from multiculturalism. You lack knowledge in reality because you serve Satan in your lust and futility.