frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

In this Debate

Why isn’t Vladimir Putin French?

Debate Information

This might be a weird question but nationality seems to be getting a lot of confusion these days.

Vladimir Putin was born in Leningrad in 1952, Soviet Union. He studied law at Leningrad State University and his parents were Russians. Why would a person born of Russian parents, culturally Russian and in many regards against French interests and values be a French National?

This question has been bothering me. I see many people that have the same attributes as “Vladimir Putin” that are claiming to be French. Are these people really French? Why do they have French passports? They hardly speak any French during their daily lives. Even if they live in France they manage to live outside of French culture. I’m not even convinced they like France nor the culturally French people. This might be because it’s a too obvious reminder of all the reasons why they aren’t French.

A French person uses the French language, has a culture prevenient of France. A French person stands by France and wants the best for France. I French person gets hurt when France gets hurt, a French person hurts when French people hurt. A French person is not a document. It is a person with a specific “French” culture.

This is a problem that most European countries are facing today. We are failing to recognize ourselves. We are failing to protect our societies from selfish people who have no interest besides their own. But the interest of a Nigerian or a Pakistani person is not the interest of a French person. We are not distinguishing our interest from people who mean us nothing good. And in many cases, they mean terror.

1. Live Poll

Vladimir Putin is French.

5 votes
    1. Vladimir Putin should be French if he wishes.
      20.00%
    2. Vladimir Putin is not French
      80.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
67%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6043 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    Defining one's nationality based on their allegiance is strange, at least. There are plenty of people who were born and and have lived for a long time in France, loathing it intently and wanting to move somewhere else, which they ultimately did - are those people not French in your eyes? I was born in Soviet Union and spent the majority of my life in Russia, yet I never liked the country and its culture and bailed out of there as soon as I reasonably could; I live in the US and love this country, but I do not have the US citizenship. People still generally call me Russian, and I do not mind it, even though this is not how I would describe myself.

This just illustrates one of the multiple problems with the concept of nationality. You get all kinds of situations in which nationality becomes hard to determine. Is a person whose parents are from Korea, but who was born and lived their whole life in Japan, Korean or Japanese? What about a person who has lived their whole life in Taiwan, but always supported the mainland Chinese government and studied its culture - are they Chinese or Taiwanese? For that matter, there are people both in China and Taiwan who believe that all of them are Chinese, and there is no such thing as "Taiwanese" - which is the case? How about people from Scotland: are they Scottish, English or British - or more than one of these? People both from Northern Ireland and Ireland are Irish, but should they not be considered different nationalities, considering that these territories belong to different nations?

Nationality is certainly a social construct, ill-defined at that.
    AntolinyPlaffelvohfen