frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is homework necessary?

Debate Information

Position: For
I say yes because it is an incredibly useful tool in education. I would like a fair, balanced and rational debate.

Debra AI Prediction

Against
Predicted To Win
56%
Likely
44%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

0% (0 Points)

Against:

0% (0 Points)

Votes: 0

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Moderate Voting

Opponent: RS_master

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 24 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 7 Days

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: Against
    RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    I say yes because it is an incredibly useful tool in education. I would like a fair, balanced and rational debate.
    I disagree. I would prefer longer school but no homework. Homework at home is tiring. Coming from home is ment to be relaxing and homework increases stress levels
  • Round 1 | Position: For
    xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    RS_master said:
    I disagree. I would prefer longer school but no homework. Homework at home is tiring. Coming from home is ment to be relaxing and homework increases stress levels
    @RS_master
    I believe that homework teaches pupils that their minds should stay active at home, and although it can sometimes increase stress levels, it could make work less stressful as pupils can revise in a relaxing environment. When pupils come to their GCSEs and A-levels, they will have to revise at home a lot, and if they have never done so before, it may be very stressful or difficult for them. Homework also gives pupils the freedom to complete tasks as they wish, and learn in a way that suits them best. Do you have any evidence for the fact that homework increases stress levels?
  • Round 2 | Position: Against
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    Yes, there is a time to relax and a time to work. The same is true at home: homework teaches pupils to manage their time effectively. @RS_master
    And about the stress levels, pupils are less likely to be overwhelmed by work as an adult if they have been doing non-guided projects outside of school.
    Homework also helps pupils to become more independent, as they do not have a teacher guiding them while they do homework.
  • Round 3 | Position: Against
    @xlJ_dolphin_473 There should be a balance between them. The balance is 8/9 hours of school/work and 5 hours of relaxation/play. Some schools give too much homework. Whats the point of increasing a pupils stress just to prepare them for adulthood when piece and relaxation is the best way to tackle stress? Homework is bad for your health and piece for at least 25% of the day will benefit your stress and anger significantly.
  • Round 3 | Position: For
    RS_master said:
    You have not rebutted my stress point.
    About your stress point, if students are getting stress from homework they need to get help from an adult. Homework normally is only 20-30 minutes and does not cause much stress. You may say that older students have more homework and this may cause them stress, but it will also help their time management skills and work ethic.
    RS_master said:
    Some schools give too much homework. 
    That is true, but that does not mean that all homework is bad. That proves nothing, except that some schools give too much homework.
    RS_master said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473 The balance is 8/9 hours of school/work and 5 hours of relaxation/play. 
    The school day in UK is 7 hours, meaning that 1-2 hours of homework is required to fill in that balance. Also, where does this 'balance' come from? Is it a reliable source?RS_master said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473
     Homework is bad for your health
    When you are doing homework, you are sitting down and you are not being active, but kids would be sitting down anyway for a period of time, and if there was longer school they would be sitting down for even longer.
    I believe that students may just waste their after school time playing video games if they do not have homework. Homework teaches children that learning does not begin and end at the school gates. Homework helps children to keep their minds active. For all these reasons, I conclude that homework is beneficial and necessary for a full and varied education.
    Thank you.