frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is BOJO doing well as president?

Debate Information

Position: Against
I believe not. Hoping for an interesting debate.
Debate away!
  1. Live Poll

Is BOJO a good PM?

5 votes
    1. no
      60.00%
    2. yes
      40.00%
“The best revenge is not to be like your enemy.” – Marcus Aurelius

Debra AI Prediction

Tie
Predicted
50%
Likely
50%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

0% (0 Points)

Against:

0% (0 Points)

Votes: 1

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Opponent: xlJ_dolphin_473

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 7 Days

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    I think that Boris Johnson is doing well as Prime Minister. Having removed the disastrous Sajid Javid from the position of Chancellor, the country's budget is now doing well. He has been faced with many crises since his time as Prime Minister began. He actually managed to #GetBrexitDone, despite many failed attempts by previous PMs. Also, Boris Johnson is Prime Minister, not President. Get your facts straight.
    JGXdebatePROJosh_Drake
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    JGXdebatePROJGXdebatePRO 408 Pts   -  
    I believe Boris Johnson has made some terrible decisions when it comes to Brexit and the handling of the coronavirus pandemic. He has also harboured some questionable views about women. In 1996, while a journalist for the Telegraph, Johnson went to the Labour conference and wrote a piece reviewing the quality of "the hot totty" who were present.

"The unanimous opinion is that what has been called the 'Tottymeter' reading is higher than at any Labour Party conference in living memory," he wrote.

He added that: "Time and again the 'Tottymeter' has gone off as a young woman delegate mounts the rostrum."

In an attempt to explain the trend of women shifting their allegiances to the Labour party, Johnson suggests that it is either due to the party's "planned erosion of male liberty — such as ending the right to drink in public places," or because of "Labour's most bizarre promise, that women will be more promiscuous if Mr Blair comes to power."

However, he concluded that the real reason women are turning to Labour is because of their natural "fickleness."

He has also made some interesting remarks about Papa new guinea...

an example given was Johnson’s use of the word “piccaninnies”, a racist term used to describe black children, in a column he wrote for The Daily Telegraph.

And in another article in The Daily Telegraph about the Congo, Johnson wrote: "No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down in his big white British taxpayer-funded bird."He has also made a snarky remark about muslim women. He compared them to "letterboxes"

In conclusion,
    If Boris Johnson does nothing more, his name in history is already inscribed as the man who lied so hard he nearly broke the constitution. He certainly broke the law, as definitively interpreted by the supreme court a few months ago. Any leader with respect for the responsibilities that come with high office, and capable of shame, would immediately resign. Nothing in Johnson’s record suggests he is such a person. He clambered to Downing Street over the wreckage of his own former beliefs, ruined friendships and betrayed relationships. He has never recognised the imperative of truth, so takes no instruction from it now.
    I do hope you believe in my plight and stand up to our racist, sexist xenophobic who is now our prime minister.
  • Round 2 | Position: Against

Sorry, but i couldn't resist.
    First of all, there are so many things wrong with Brexit, but that is a discussion for another day. Next, yes, he has been faced with many crises, but did he deal with them well? I believe not. Especially the coronavirus.
    Did you know Britain is the third most infected area in Britain due to his lack of action? he has caused mass panic on the streets, with people rushing to the stores and stockpiling as much as they can carry. An effective PM would control the situation in a calm manner, Such as Mark Rutte in Holland.
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    Your previous argument contained many fallacies, but you later edited it to remove them. Thanks a lot (not). I will rebut them anyway.

Your argument is plainly invalid, as all you have done is quoted some examples of Boris Johnson being racist or sexist. The debate title is not 

Is BOJO sexist/racist?

As you will see if you read it carefully, the debate title is:

Is BOJO doing well as president?

I'm afraid I do not see the connection between sexism and aptness as a Prime Minister. Some of these comments are only sexist if interpreted in that way. And about the Muslim women, he was making a comment that was indeed racist, but his news article made a point: that burcas should not be banned. 
    Boris Johnson is an excellent motivational speaker, is charismatic and appeals to people's patriotism. He has been handling the coronavirus pandemic very well, if you ask me, and has made largely sensible and positive decisions regarding to this matter. With regard to breaking the law in relation to Brexit, the MPs were causing huge delays and making it extremely difficult for him to get Brexit through, and it was the only sensible decision to prorogue Parliament. 

Boris Johnson never intended to become Prime Minister under these unusual conditions. Despite this, he is doing an excellent job as he manages to remain his humorous and charismatic demeanour, and is doing a great job as our Prime Minister.

Moving on to rebut your later edited argument, I am unsurprised that Britain is the third most infected area in Britain. He has brought everyone together in this time of crisis, He has done a great job.
    Josh_Drake
  • Round 3 | Position: Against
    Firstly, to rebut your points, I doubt that "bringing everyone together" is the correct step in a pandemic. Second of all, I believe being sexist/racist is actually a detrimental trait of a PM as he will not represent the country equally. Third, if he didn't intend to become PM, then he wouldn't have tried to get the role. Next, yes he is charismatic, but only if you qualify a xenophobic rant as charismatic.
  • Round 3 | Position: For
    xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    @JGXdebatePRO
    The reason everyone has stockpiled is because Boris Johnson gave the facts. He gave the facts, and people responded accordingly. I believe that it is better to give the truth than it is to hide the truth from people so that they do not panic, like what has gone on in China. You say that if he didn't intend to become PM, he wouldn't have tried to get the role. He did intend to become PM, but he did not intend to have to deal with a EU disaster and a pandemic. I do not understand why bringing everyone together would be a bad step to take in a pandemic, please explain via private message. And despite what you think of Boris Johnson's views, you cannot deny that he is an excellent speaker and a charismatic individual. Please consider that he will seem worse than he would have done had he not been faced with two disasters during his time as PM. And even if he is not an ideal prime minister, he is a vast improvement on Theresa May, who completely failed to get Brexit done. Thank you.
    Josh_Drake