frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Bible quotes should be banned on debate island, persuade me otherwise.

Debate Information

I believe it transcends into circular logic if it is to be allowed. Would like to know you're opinions.
Debate away!
  1. Live Poll

Should bible quotes be allowed on debate island?

8 votes
    1. I'm a holy roller, so ye
      37.50%
    2. no way its so annoying
      62.50%
“The best revenge is not to be like your enemy.” – Marcus Aurelius

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• lj123lj123 157 Pts   -  
    The bible is a long complicated religious book that you can read if you choose to. If lets say you are a religious Jew and don't want to read the bible because what it says is against your beliefs but you need to read a bible quote in order to rebut an argument which goes against your beliefs you can do two things: You can read a quote that goes against everything you stand for and be upset by it, or you can not read the quote and be upset because you were winning in the debate but because of your views you are now loosing by an 11% margin because you don't want to go against everything that you stand for. People should not be judged by the debate island system as bad debaters if they do not want to go against what they stand for because that is just wrong!
    Whatever it is, if you don't agree with me then your wrong.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    @JGXdebatePRO

What's a "holy roller?"

And where is the evidence to any supposed "frenzied excitement or trances," going on in any debate island forum, via any Religious fervor?

"Ho·ly Roll·er
    noun
    INFORMAL•DEROGATORY
    1. a member of an evangelical Christian group which expresses religious fervor by frenzied excitement or trances."

And what is circular logic?
    JGXdebatePRO
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    No , leave them on they’re good for a laugh , B S in print always amuses me 
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

What's good for a laugh?

"No, leave them on they’re good for a laugh, B S in print always amuses me."

And do you have any evidence to support the "print" that you're lamenting over?

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    No. If THEY were banned one side would have nothing to debate with. If you don't have facts, you need, at least, the thoughts or theories of a belief that there are, somewhere, some "alternate facts" to debate with. Religion isn't the only discussion where one side is short on facts.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

***** What's good for a laugh?

You really are slow aren’t you?....Bible verses 

****And do you have any evidence to support the "print" that you're lamenting over?

Yeah , it’s all there in the book of called the Bible give it a read sometime 
    PlaffelvohfenJGXdebatePROScienceRules
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    Putting theists in their place is one of my favorite past times. It isn't just Christians, it's Muslims and anyone else with superstitions and supernatural beliefs too. If they don't at least think that they have something useful to say or think they are being censored then they are just going to complain about that.
    JGXdebatePRO
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

What parts of the Bible, are you referencing?

Please share links to those specific page's, that you maybe have some anxiety over?

"Yeah , it’s all there in the book of called the Bible give it a read sometime."

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    @TKDB

**** What parts of the Bible, are you referencing?

The whole lot 

*****Please share links to those specific page's, that you maybe have some anxiety over?

Aniexty ? I’ve no ”anxiety” over the book of ......You don’t need links start on page one and read through it’s all  

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    Just because some quotes can be used to form a circular reasoning does not mean there is something inherently wrong with those quotes. Anything can be used to form circular reasoning in a proper context.

And even if there was something wrong with those quotes inherently, why censor them? The more quotes and ideas we can discuss and explore, the better.

I would go even further and say that the most disturbing ideas are the ones deserving the biggest amount of attention, as they are the ones that tell us something about ourselves we are not aware of. We are all humans, and knowing the biggest deviations from the norm present allows us to ask such questions as, "What is present in my mind that can make me or others like me think/behave this way?"

If you are only interested in debating conventional and comfortable quotes and ideas, then you are going to be stuck in an echo-chamber and never expand your horizons.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

So the Bible is garbage to you, right?

Is it interfering with how you are living your lifestyle as we speak?

Is the Bible able to harass you personally as we speak?

I'm not a doctor, but I've seen anxiety before, and my guess is that you've maybe developed a voluntary anxiety over a harmless book?

That's an inanimate object, that harmlessly rests on various bookshelves various around the Globe, and the odd thing is, the only apparent protesters, that exists in regards to that inanimate and harmless object, appears to be some of the Anti Religious crowd? 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780124176454500778

"10 - Religion and anxiety: Which anxiety? Which religion?"

Publisher Summary

"This chapter explores the religion and anxiety."

"There is an argument that religion can be as much a source of anxiety as it is a balm or that religion first creates and then relieves anxiety."

"The chapter explores the direction of influence may very well depend on which anxiety one has in mind, as well as which religion."

"Generalized anxiety disorder is characterized by at least 6 months of persistent and excessive anxiety and worry. Anxiety can be defined as a state of dread anticipation in which the object of the dread is vaguely defined."

"It includes tenseness, restlessness, increased heart rate, and sweating, all of which indicate preparedness for fight or flight."

"Treatment modalities capitalizing on religiosity may well make good sense for people who are high in religiosity."

"While it may be true that being religious may be the cause of anxiety, it seemingly is equally true that religion provides peace of mind for a great number of people."

"It is evident that religiosity is a potent intervention for those who are religious, and that it shapes and buffers the anxieties as one faces what often is a hostile world."

The above information may shed some light on Anxiety in regards to Religion.

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  

The topic asked as below .....

Bible quotes should be banned on debate island, persuade me otherwise.

My reply was .... No , leave them on they’re good for a laugh , B S in print always amuses me

Please get your minder to explain to you what my words mean 
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

What has any Bible quotation, that has ever been shared by any Religious individual, ever done to any non Religious individual, should be banned for what reason?

Bible quotations are harmless, aren't they?

A really in-depth question:
    Are some fearful, that a harmless Bible, is somehow being used to somehow indoctrinate individuals, by sharing a Bible quotation from the Bible?

And if there's no proof, that none of the Bible quotations shared on this website, hasn't been used to indoctrinate anyone, then why the hypothetical push to maybe ban Bible quotations, that haven't done anything wrong to anyone?

"Bible quotes should be banned on debate island, persuade me otherwise."
  • I believe it transcends into circular logic if it is to be allowed. Would like to know you're opinions.
    Debate away!
    I cannot agree to banning books. We should be able to explain why using the Bible as an authority is flawed rather than forbidding its use.
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

***** "Bible quotes should be banned on debate island, persuade me otherwise."

Well you need to take that up with the person who proposed it don’t you?
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @JGXdebatePRO

What has any Bible quotation, that has ever been shared by any Religious individual, ever done to any non Religious individual, should be banned for what reason?

Bible quotations are harmless, aren't they?

A really in-depth question:
    Are some fearful, that a harmless Bible, is somehow being used to somehow indoctrinate individuals, by sharing a Bible quotation from the Bible?

And if there's no proof, that none of the Bible quotations shared on this website, hasn't been used to indoctrinate anyone, then why the hypothetical push to maybe ban Bible quotations, that haven't done anything wrong to anyone?

"Bible quotes should be banned on debate island, persuade me otherwise."
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @SkepticalOne

Universally speaking, meaning both the Freedom of Religion seeking individuals, and the non Religious, Religious protesting  individuals globally, why do you view the Bible as flawed, if the Bible and it's quotations have zero influence over your non Religious lifestyle?

Can you share any quotation from the flawed Bible, that is, and has been personally affected your lifestyle at all?
  • TKDB said:
    @SkepticalOne

Universally speaking, meaning both the Freedom of Religion seeking individuals, and the non Religious, Religious protesting  individuals globally, why do you view the Bible as flawed, if the Bible and it's quotations have zero influence over your non Religious lifestyle?

Can you share any quotation from the flawed Bible, that is, and has been personally affected your lifestyle at all?
    I encourage you to re-read what I actually wrote. I said the Bible should not be censored from Debate Island.
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • rosendsrosends 131 Pts   -  
    @JGXdebatePRO - your statement was "

Bible quotes should be banned on debate island"

clearly, you can't mean this as an absolute because

1. A debate specifically about what the bible says, which is surely one thing which can be debated, requires bible quotes

and

2. a bible quote cited to support any other argument, providing a precedent for word usage, cultural history or something else would certainly be as useful as any piece of literature or random quote from an historical personage

I believe your concern is regarding using bible quotes to establish (or claim) historical truths/events or a position predicated on religious belief which you don't share. In those cases, I think it is more useful to agree to disagree as there is no common ground for discussion.
    AbigailEBwayxlJ_dolphin_473