frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Beware The Fallacy Fallacy, and Other Deceptions in Argumentation

Debate Information

This topic is going to be about argumentation itself. And it will explore what I have learned from studies as well from my own experience engaging in debates and observing debates among other people.

This is just going to be a quick one and I will do more in-depth discussions about this in the future as more time permits.

Anyway, some of the things to look out for include:
  • The fallacy Fallacy
  • The Strawman Fallacy
  • Pretending to be an expert and/or talking as if you are one
  • The Bias Bias
  • The issues of Ad-hominem
  • The misunderstandings of reductio ad absurdum
The fallacy Fallacy (Argumentum Ad logicam) I find it to be a rather common one on debate sites. This is the tendency to conclude that someone's argument must be wrong because it appears to have a fallacy in it. I've noticed one of the most common conflations here is regarding authorities on the subject. It appears that several people will immediately almost always conclude that an argument is bad because the person mentioned an authority figure. What they and others need to realize is that they need to is that there is a big difference between deferring to authority versus appealing to authority.

The Strawman fallacy is very common and has been used by a lot of people who appear to be educated and intelligent. Look a bit more closely and you the truth will set you free. This is basically trying to refute an argument by counter-argument against one that was never presented in the first place. So before you cheer a counter-argument do look at the previous argument and seriously consider if that counter-argument is valid in that context of the time.

Pretending to be an expert and/or talking as if you are one is also something to be aware of. I've come across people here who have said they are scientists and then said ludicrous things such as "There is no evidence of climate change." Just because someone says they are a Scientist online does not make it true or if they are they're definitley not a good one for saying such and false things.

The Bias Bias is about frequently seeing biases in multiple other people when none exists.

The issue of Ad-hominem which you may come across is that some people will strawman your call out of an ad-hominem as victim mentality state. Ad-hominems are not name-calling or victimizing people. An ad-hominem like any other fallacy is an error in reasoning. This is to do with concluding that an argument must be bad because of some personal characteristic or personal circumstances of the other party.

The misunderstandings of reductio ad absurdum consist of trying to reduce every argument you come across to the absurd which ironically is in itself an absurd thing to attempt. Another problem here is that people a number of people who try to do this end up making an appeal to extremes fallacy; a common misuse and misunderstanding of reductio ad absurdum. Some tips to consider here are that reductio ad absurdum can work if there is an obvious flaw in the the argument in the first place, and it usually works with statements such as "Always," "100 percent," "Never," etc.

That's it for now.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

This Debate has been closed.

DebateIsland.com

| The Best Online Debate Experience!
© 2023 DebateIsland.com, all rights reserved. DebateIsland.com | The Best Online Debate Experience! Debate topics you care about in a friendly and fun way. Come try us out now. We are totally free!

Contact us

customerservice@debateisland.com
Terms of Service

Get In Touch