frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Was the Arbery shooting Racist?

Debate Information

The Arbery shooting has been all over the news as of late and again stoking racial tension.  Maybe i dont have all the information, but i would like to know why racism is being pushed.  It seems like every incident where a white person shoots a black person everyone immediately jumps to racism.

From what i now this is the story.  Someone not currently living in the area was building property. A police officer there informed the owner that his neighbor Mcmichael (a retired police officer)  could be contacted if there were any concerns.  From what i know the owner never contacted the mcmichaels, but they saw a man on tape that looked like arbery going into the construction site several times.  The final time they thought he may have taken something or thought he was suspicious so they tried to inact a citizens arrest (which they have no authority unless they physically witness the crime). Anyways they tracked him down brandishing weapons and told him to stop (i agree brandishing weapons and following him wasnt the best choice).  Arbery for some reason, probably out of fear or looking to defend himself from what he thought was a threat, attacked the young mcmichael and over the struggle with the shotgun got shot and killed.

Im wondering where the racism comes into play?  Maybe someone can inform me.  Because racial prejudice seems to be claimed on the mcmichaels and the justice system there for taking too long to prosecute. The latter may have more proof, but part of the delay was because several prosecutors had to leave because they claimed they were biased from knowing the attackers.  I just dont think tensions are ever going to heal if racism is assumed for every incident involving a white and black american.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments