frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Does Race Equal culture?

Debate Information

I came up with the idea of this topic when debating a fellow user here on progressive policy.  This post is not to argue weather he or I was right or wrong on progressive policy but he stated that the reason Europe is able to enact and maintain progressive policy is because they are cultural homogeneous.
Europe being culturally the same is false due to their being high amounts of cultural diversity within this region. So I assumed that by culturally homogenous, he meant white.
So that struck an idea in my head: does being the same race automatically equal having the same or similar culture? Personally I say no and here's why:
As I stated before, Europe is very ethnically/culturally diverse. The whole continent is descendent from thousands of small tribes and kingdoms who wared, traded, pillaged, loved and hated each other over thousands of years. The UK, despite being 1 nation is made up off 4 sub groups, Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland, and England which are extremely culturally different from each other. In fact, you can drive 20 miles in any direction in England and be in an entirely different cultural landscape with it's on unique dialect, accent, food, traditions and building style. Normandy, paris and Naples despite being all in one nation (France) each have their own distinct cultures that are entirety different from each other. About 150ish years ago, Germany was only but a collection of differing tribes who losely banded together to form a nation. The Islamic southern portion of Spain that was colonized by the African Moors is entirely different from the Madrid area and the northern coast. In Italy the cultural arena can change in mere matter of a few dozen miles. And this does not only go for Europe. Nigeria,has over 100 different languages belonging to dozens of differing sub groups. The incas, mayas and Aztecs, despite all being in the same general area are vastly unqiue from each other. The picture someone who has basic history knowledge, constructed in his head of the Aztecs is an extremely different picture from that of the Incas. The US south is culturally unique from the north, in fact if we were to go in depth and pick out 3 famous southern cities, New Orleans, Louisville and Atlanta, each of them has it's own distinct image that can't be confused with the other. So does culture strictly relate to race? In my mind, it doesn't. Culture simply means where one grew up. I, a black man in Georgia am culturally more alike to white female Georgian than I am to a black man in Nigeria. An often rebuttal of this is that even though cultures that share the race are different, they are still more alike than that of a different race. For example, someone who opposes my view may say that even though the Nordic nations are culturally distinct from the Irish, they still have more in common than Nordic nations do with say, the Japanese because they aren't of the same race. To that I say it depends. If you have a man who is of the Asian race but grew up and lives in Norway, I would make the argument that that asian man has more culturally in common with a white Norwegian man, than a white Norwegian has in common with a white irish man. Why? Because that asian and white guy both grew up in the same place, meaning they share more of a culture than a man who has never stepped foot in Norway, regardless of race. I will argue that Nordic and Irish culture is more similar to that of Nordic and Japanese culture, but not because of the race but because the two are geographically closer together. For example Somalia has mainly sub Saharan black people, but culturally is more alike to Yemen than it is to Nigeria. Despite Nigeria and Somalia both having the same race of people, Somalia still has culturally more in common with Yemen because it is geographically closer. And even then saying that Norway and Ireland are more alike than Norway and Japan is like saying that a raccoon has more in common with a T-rex than it does with an iphone. Technically, it does but a raccoon is still drastically different from a t-rex. Despite somalia being culturally more alike to the Yemen than to Nigeria, the nation is still has it's own unique culture of it's own.
Of course natural land and sea barriers can prevent cultures from intermingling.
Hence is why I also feel that the argument that white, Black, asian etc. Supremacist use for an ethnostate is flawed because even if you get all of the same race of people into one ethnostate you will still have massive infighting within those groups. White people have been killing, bombing, implementing biological warfare, nuking, implementing famine against and pillaging each other for centuries now even when they technically had their own ethnostate so where is the evidence to say that they will be all lovey duvy with each other now? This goes for black and other racial supremacist too. All in all, culture isn't about race but rather where groups of people grew up together as you can have different races of people be more culturally similar to each other than each race has to a racially homogenous place, due to them growing up in the same place. For instance as I mentioned, Southern US black people being more culturally similar to white southerners than they are to african black people.
Of course you also have the whole premise of race, which is a whole other topic that can go on for hours.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments