frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Salvation simulation?

Debate Information

What if you found out that everything in the bible was absolutely true, but there's a catch? What if you found out that we are living in a simulated reality that was programmed by a Christian zealot? What if you found out that God (the programmer) was actually a 40 year old balding fat guy who lives in his mom's basement? He still could grant you salvation exactly how it is written in the bible, albeit a simulated salvation. Since you've never known anything except this simulated reality, would the prospect of heaven being nothing more than a simulation shake the foundation of your faith?

I will concede right off the bat that I cannot prove that God is indeed a programer, or that we are in a simulation and I'm not all to interested in tackling that subject here. What I'm asking is:

1. If you are a Christian, would finding out that your salvation is just a simulated reality programmed by a God who would probably be considered a loser in his reality, would that shake the foundation of your faith, or just strengthen your reserve?

2. If you are an atheist and you found out that everything in the bible is in fact true, but a simulated reality, would you repent and become a disciplined Christian, or would you wallow in a nihilistic crack binge?

The premise of the simulation hypothesis is simple. It theorizes that if we live in a society that can "conceive" of a society that is capable of creating a simulated reality that is so realistic we could not tell the difference, then it would be daft of us not to assume we are already in a simulated reality. We ourselves do not need to have the capability to create a hyper-realistic simulation, we only need to be able to conceive of a society that can. We do indeed live in a society that does that, and we are quickly becoming a society that not only can conceive of it, but can do it ourselves.   

Simulation hypothesis is not  a fringe proposal based on pseudo-science. Dr. James Gates is a highly respected theoretical physicist who believes the universe is made of one's and zeros. His research focuses on what the smallest thing is that makes up our universe. He tried to find a thing so small that if it were any smaller it couldn't be considered a thing. When Neil Degrasse Tyson pointed out that his work suggests that the universe is made of computer code, Dr. Gates said that not only is it computer code, it is a specific kind of computer code that was created in 1946 and is still in wide use today. Dr. Gates says that his theory now brings the possibility of a God who created everything in our universe.      
  1. Live Poll

Would a simulated heaven make you lose your faith?

1 vote
    1. Yes, especially if the programmer looked like comic book guy.
        0.00%
    2. No, as long as it seems real, I'm cool with it.
      100.00%
  2. Live Poll

Would a simulated universe based on scripture make you faithful?

1 vote
    1. No, if it's not the real deal, then I'm still not convinced.
        0.00%
    2. Yes, fake or not, I don't want to see a simulated hell.
      100.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments