frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Christianity should not be taught as truth in schools.

Debate Information

Welcome to this debate.
Firstly, I would like to say that @RickeyD has requested that this be a formalish debate, but this is a debate between @RickeyD and I exclusively, and please do not interrupt.
Secondly, I would like to clarify that I think children should be taught about all the major world religions in school, but not that any one of them is true.

Here are my initial reasons for believing that Christianity should not be taught as the truth in schools.
First of all, just because one religion is the most popular does not mean it is true. Collectively, all other religions (Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc) have more followers than Christianity... by more than double. This shows that Christianity, although the most popular religion, is nothing close to a majority, and thus no argument can be made in favour of Christianity by saying that it is the most popular.
Secondly, children need to understand that there are many different world-views, and that it is OK to believe in any one of them. Children need to be given freedom of choice in what to believe in, and they should not be coerced from childhood into thinking that Christianity is the only correct - or acceptable - way of thinking about the world.
Finally, not all teachers believe in Christianity: many teachers are Islamic, Buddhist, Jewish, atheist, agnostic, etc. Teachers should not be forced to teach something which goes against their beliefs.
@RickeyD should rebut my arguments in his first speech, and make some arguments of his own. The debate can progress from here.
Look forward to debating,
Thanks, @xlJ_dolphin_473
We_are_accountablePlaffelvohfenHappy_Killbot
  1. Live Poll

Should Christianity be taught as truth in schools?

6 votes
    1. Yes
      16.67%
    2. No
      66.67%
    3. Only in some schools
      16.67%
    4. I don't know
        0.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Tie
Predicted