frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Tangible vs Intangible: The Atheist’s Problem

Debate Information

Atheists typically say that it is impossible to disprove the existence of something. They then apply this reasoning to God and say that it is impossible to disprove God's existence. I disagree. I am a Christian, so I do believe that there is a God. I only write this as a challenge to the atheists who believe that it is impossible to disprove God's existence. There are two different views--tangible views and intangible views. Tangible views can be disproven using logical reasoning alone, intangible views cannot. 

Christianity is a tangible view because it has a lot of "substance" to it. Christianity claims to reflect reality, if you can show that to be false, then the God of Christianity is not real. The God of Christianity is said to be all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-good. If you can show that to be a contradiction, then the God of Christianity is not real. The point being, there is plenty of materials or substance to Christianity that by simply using logic, it could be disproven--if false. 

On the other hand, the belief in flying pigs is an intangible view because it does not have a lot of "substance" to it. It also has no claim of logic to it in which it can even be possible to disprove it using logic. While it can be logically concluded that flying pigs likely do not exist, it cannot be known with the simple use of logic. One would have to search every nook and cranny of the universe to prove without-a-doubt that flying pigs do not exist. 

The point being, Christianity does have a certain claim of logic to it, and therefore--using logic--it has the potential of being disproven--simply by noting contradictions in its claim of logic. So, the challenge is for you to note possible contradictions in Christianity. I also want to extend this invitation to Christians to note possible contradictions in atheism. Atheism is a worldview that has to answer how there is anything without God. So, is the belief that there is no God coherent with reality? Is it possible?

Here is an article I wrote on this if you want a more in-depth idea of what I am talking about: Tangible vs Intangible: The Atheist’s Problem

PlaffelvohfenDeeTreeManAlofRI

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments