frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Sexism in America

Debate Information

is the wage gap a myth? are women treated equally in the workplace? lots of stuff to discuss. Personally I feel like claims of America being "patriarchal" are over exaggerated.
billpassedmanetai
  1. Live Poll

Sexism is still very prevalent in America

12 votes
    1. true
      41.67%
    2. not true
      58.33%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    Sexism is not as popular now a days. Presidents Trump is doing a good job keeping that down. Although, there are many claims against him regarding these kind of issues.
    agsrWhyTrumpSaltyDog
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    @billpassed Why do you think Trump is keeping sexism away? Many people believe the opposite; just curious
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    Sexism is still very real in US, although there is lots of progress and publicity for equal pay. Many large corporations have proactive programs that attract women to leadership, technology, and other fields traditionally dominated by men.  There are also lawsuits that seek damages in some cases.
    so I think it is real, but the gap is closing.

What I wonder though, do we have reverse sexism sometimes.  How many guys work in HR department for example?  
    Sometimes we also see that women in leadership hire most women within their organizations, and no one is saying anything.  
    The fact is women are generally better than men in some things and worse in others.
    There are many exceptions though.  For example, Technology is traditionally known for guys, but there are so many women who are great at coding.  
     We should be hiring people best for specific roles, not being forced to hire specific gender or diversity just to be politically correct.  
    agsr
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @billpassed, I am not advocating that Trump is sexist, but I cannot support position that he is keeping it away. At best he is Neutral, but many would say even that's a stretch.
    Live Long and Prosper
    @agsr Agreed.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @billpassed, I respectfully disagree with your point that Trump is not a sexist.  I see that he is not respectful of women. Remember "grab by ...." incident 
    manetai
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • manetaimanetai 29 Pts   -  
    I disagree @whytrump . Trump is trying to prevent sexism.
    How so? @manetai
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    So let's get down to the bone on this one.  Firstly, the words "Sexist" and "Sexism" have been misused lately in our society in the same way "Racist" and "Racism" have been misused.  And I'm not talking about a slight misunderstanding or someone using the terms loosely...I'm talking about huge leaps between meanings and blatant misuse of the terms.

Sexist: Characterized by or showing prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sexist

So in order for something or someone to be deemed "Sexist", the person or thing must be characterized by:
    A. Showing prejudice against women on the basis of sex
    B. Stereotyping Women on the basis of sex
    C. Discriminating against Women on the basis of sex

So let's clear something up and get some solid perspective on this.  Saying "Grab her by the P%$$@" IS NOT a sexist comment.  It's definitely inappropriate, crude, rude, senseless, lewd, bad manners, and a slew of other negative adjectives that I'll save you the time of reading but the point here is that while the statement and context were all of these things...it was NOT a sexist statement.  There was no prejudice, there was no stereotype made during the statement nor was one implied and the statement could not have caused discrimination since the statement was not made to a Woman nor was it intended to be communicated to anyone but the intended recipient.

What we're "Really" talking about here is a movement that's been sweeping our nation called "Misdirection".  This is where someone attempts to deceive another person by suggesting in some way, shape or form that something is not what it appears to be and instead is something else.  The people in the U.S. that are smart enough to see through this have a intellectual obligation to not only refuse to participate in this, but to call it out for what it truly is and that is a"Lie".

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/prejudice
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/discrimination

northsouthkorea
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• islander507islander507 194 Pts   -   edited May 2017
    @Vaulk, wow, that is such a great argument.  I really didn't think about it that way before, I agree with you.
    northsouthkorea
  • northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    I believe that sexism is very real in American and around the world. This is a major issue which needs to be solved. 
    Also, founder is great. Got some info from him. Asked him about a feature like pro/ and against. This could be for a debate or all comments. Owner is very nice.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    From my observations, a noticeable level of sexism is nearly absent in the urban environment - but can be present and even prevalent in more rural areas. Minor sexism exists everywhere, of course, but not to the extent where it prevents one of the genders from successfully competing with peers.

It is the same as racism, xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia... In the urban setting, the extensive communications between people of different leanings, different backgrounds, different physical properties, led to a high level of mutual understanding and, therefore, less discrimination. Rural communities, on the other hand, tend to be somewhat isolated from the rest of the world; they boil in their own pot dominated by traditions and conservatism. 

A notion that "A woman's place is in the kitchen", or "Black people are thugs", or "Homosexuals are mentally ill" is nearly gone, say, from San Francisco. But these notions can be very common in some faraway rural community in Mississippi.