frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should We Eliminate All Forms Of Currency And Adopt A Resource-Based Economy?

Debate Information

In a resource-based economy, we don't use money as we do now. Everything is free and everybody helps everybody else to get what they need. We make sure there is enough of everything for everyone.

The primary focus is on sustainability and the equitable distribution of resources to meet the needs of everyone. It operates on the premise that the Earth's resources are too valuable to be controlled or monopolized by corporations, individuals, or governments. Hence, resources are managed collectively for the benefit of everyone on the planet, which ensures that everyone has equal access to basic necessities, such as food, water, shelter, healthcare, and education.

The resource-based economy proposes that technology must be prioritized to maximize the efficient utilization of resources. Thus, automation and intelligent systems can streamline the production and distribution of resources.

The economy is developed such that there is no monetary system in place to represent the resources exchanged; instead, efficiency and effectiveness of the exchange are measured by the outcome of the exchange. The degree of the success of the economy is measured by the sustainability within the environment, and by ensuring a higher quality of life for everyone.

In a resource-based economy, exchanges would be based on access versus ownership. Access would be granted to ensure everyone has access to the resources they need while reducing waste and duplication of efforts. 

Here are some examples of exchanges in a resource-based economy:

1. Sharing Energy: Instead of buying electricity from energy companies, the energy would be generated and shared among communities.

2. Public Transportation: Instead of individuals owning private cars, efficient public transportation would be available, and transportation resources would be collectively owned and distributed.

3. Community Gardens: Instead of visiting grocery stores, where food is packaged, transported, and sold, communities can have local gardens or commercial gardening hubs where members can grow and support each other.

4. The Sharing of 3D Printing Equipment: In a resource-based economy, 3D printing equipment would be shared instead of individuals owning it themselves. A community could share printers and have access to more resources rather than having each person buying their material and printer.

5. Health Care: Access to free, public health care would be accessible to everyone, which ensures that everyone has access to essential medical care and benefits.

Overall, exchanges would be based on collaboration and helping one another succeed, rather than individual benefits. The focus would be more on sustainability and the preservation of resources for everyone, and not on the accumulation of wealth for a select few.

A resource-based economy shares some similarities with the concept of communism, but it is not the same thing. Both systems advocate for a shared and equal distribution of resources, but how they achieve that goal and how the economy is structured differ

In a communist system, the government or the state owns and controls all resources and means of production. The goal is to eliminate the hierarchical system of classes and achieve a classless society. In practice, however, communism has often led to the concentration of power in the hands of a few and the suppression of individual freedoms.

A resource-based economy, on the other hand, does not advocate for a centralized government control of resources but would rather have a sustainable management system for resources that will meet the needs of everyone. It emphasizes technological solutions to maximize the efficient use and management of resources. It also promotes individual liberty by emphasizing equal access rather than control. 

A resource-based economy maintains the principle that resources are meant to benefit everyone, instead of benefiting just a small number of individuals, by using technology to manage resources efficiently and equitably distribute them. In contrast, communism places ownership and control of resources in the hands of the state rather than the people, which can lead to a lack of incentive for individuals to work hard and innovate.

While it has yet to be implemented, supporters of the resource-based economy argue that it would lead to more sustainable, equitable, and efficient use of resources while reducing waste, inequality, and poverty. However, critics argue that the feasibility of implementing such a model and its potential to address the problems of corruption and bureaucracy, which are inherent to the current monetary system, is unclear

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BarnardotBarnardot 521 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold Well I’m sure that in a prefect world that sort of thing wood work and every body wood sit a round the fire every night and sing kumbuyare but that’s not how it is. Because the real truth is that that is why we have money because it is a dog eat dog world and no body trusts any body else . Because if you look at ancient times people did have resaurce based economies and they were all ways killing each other because they spent all there time arguing about who owns what and who did what and in the end they just had to realize that this is not a dream world so what they did was use salt for money. Then they re fined the system and started making money and that has been the best way of having an economy. 
    So the only people now who have resources based economies are lazy hippies with dread locks and yids who run kabutzes and many of them have dread locks too. But look at how far they get? Like no where that’s where because who wants to do business with people who only want to trade things in there own way because in the end there are many different communities and we have to have a common thing and that’s called money and the only people who don’t like that are people who never will make a lot of money because there lazy and dum and just want to free load off others who work hard.
  • jackjack 447 Pts   -  

While it has yet to be implemented, supporters of the resource-based economy argue that it would lead to more sustainable, equitable, and efficient use of resources while reducing waste, inequality, and poverty.
    Hello Jules:

It's a wonderful idea - people taking care of other people...   Interestingly, I read about it first from a fellow named Nomenclature.. He LOVES the idea.  My argument with him is the same one I present here.  Where does the money come from??   If working hard doesn't garner me more than the fellow who doesn't work at all, I'm gonna STOP working so hard.  I'm NOT greedy..  But, I DO have an interest in the welfare of my family.  Your argument does not convince me that the range of services my family needs will be available..

excon

Nomenclature
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 811 Pts   -  
    @jack
    Actually, I am not for a resource-based economy if it requires only public transportation and community gardens.
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1121 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold

First reasorced based economy just means most the economy is based on natural resources.

Additionally getting rid of currency doesnt mean everything is free is just means you have to barter with goods and services.
    That is essentially where currency steps in.  Just an easier way to make trades without needing the physical resources all the time.
  • NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    @jack
    My argument with him is the same one I present here.  Where does the money come from?? 

Your "argument" doesn't even make any sense, dopey. The resources came before money, not after money.

"Say Jack, we have all this money just lying around. How about we invent some resources to spend it on?"

"Yes that's a fantastic idea. Aren't we smart?"

• @JulesKorngold
    I don't see why exactly, currency is just a median in transactions used by individuals.
    By having a currency, a market can more easily be established with currency as it allows for consistent prices. Let's say a TV today costs 500$, without currency, you could trade that TV for 10 chickens or 76 bars of Dutch chocolate. As the exchange rate per chicken for chocolate bars is 1 to 7.6. Such a system as seen in the analogy would be overly complicated for consumers and investors to easily understand and thus would result in a far slower and less optimal economic system. Along with the fact that such a system is far more easily able to be prone to exploitation.
    For such reasons, eliminating currency is not the most feasible option we can take here.
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    if everything were free, there would be no incentive to work and produce; and if we had to work to produce to get free resources, then such resources would not be free.@JulesKorngold
    Nomenclaturejack
  • NomenclatureNomenclature 1245 Pts   -  
    @maxx
    if everything were free, there would be no incentive to work and produce

I'm so tired of meeting imbeciles who have been brainwashed by this fantasy. Are you seriously telling me that I'm going to willingly starve rather than grow my own food? There's no incentive for me to build a well rather than travel 6 miles to collect water every day? There's no incentive to build transport so I can travel to the places I need to go?

Everything there's a use for there's an incentive to produce. 

Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Nomenclature

It's always a wonder to  me the depths of Maxxs imbecility just when you think he cannot say anything stupider he out does himself
    Nomenclature
  • John_C_87John_C_87 Emerald Premium Member 864 Pts   -   edited April 2023
    @MineSubCraftStarved
    For such reasons, eliminating currency is not the most feasible option we can take here.

Currency and Registered Federal Note are not the same thing a registered note has in writing on the Note itself, it is payable on all debt. The person holding the note has a signed document issued from the Federal Reserve. How many other forms of paper currency have in writing on the receipt the holder has the fact in writing and does not promise the note bearer they hold is registered for all debt? How many? None? MinedSubCraftStarved there is a rather large negligence when the Regulation of the Federal Reserve Note by Congress, Federal Reserve, and Executive office does not point out legal inconsistencies with global currencies and the Federal Reserve Note.

• KekeeKekee 23 Pts   -  
    Resources would eventually end. Currency is eternal unlike natural resources which are finite