frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Does the Bible support abortion when it involves cheating?

Debate Information

Be reminded:"when it involves cheating"
New International Version

If she has made herself impure and been unfaithful to her husband, this will be the result: When she is made to drink the water that brings a curse and causes bitter suffering, it will enter her, her abdomen will swell and her womb will miscarry, and she will become a curse.

http://biblehub.com/numbers/5-27.htm

http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/bible-verses-about-abortion/

Now then, these 'good'  bible verses in the 2nd link don't really directly go against abortion. Psalms 139:13-16 talks about someone praising the lord because thankfully his/her mom didn't cheat so she got to live and mold themself well enough to believe they were "wonderfully made". Jeremiah 1:5, Are we really going to use this as proof that all zygotes or babies matter to God? God is speaking to a prophet, the prophet Jeremiah, not your child or your baby so don't go lie to your child God made him/her 'prophet of nations'. Isaiah 49:15, 'she HAS borne' end of story, the baby is already born. How does this concern abortion? Psalm 22:10 yeh because You have been my God since I appeared in my mother's womb You can just take me with Your omnipotence. Do I have to say something with Genesis 1:27 talking about how God made us in his image and likeness? If I make a Sim character who looks like me, I don't think the kill option would go away or be censored and blocked. So if God made a human appear in a womb, he can take that away even if it's so divine and 'made in his likeness'.

http://www.priestsforlife.org/articles/4376-the-bibles-teaching-against-abortion

This one has even more shallow verses that without a hundred mile bridge of logic, these verses won't be able to connect to abortion
raspjirfVaulk

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• raspjirfraspjirf 13 Pts   -  
    No, I don't believe so. Although, it seems to generally oppose divorce for any matter or some matters that could be specific or at least more specific.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited June 2017
    The issue here, and I'm sure anyone else who's looked at this has picked up on it, is that this is missing context.  The context of this passage of the Old Testament is a "Test of Adultery".  In the Old Testament, punishment for crimes against God were very serious in nature.  Adultery and infidelity being heavily chastised the "Priests" at the time has a test that could be administered to a Woman who was with Child whom her Husband believed not to be his own.  Keep in mind that compared to the scriptural supernatural occurrences throughout the Bible (Particularly in the Old Testament), the idea of a drinking water that would kill your unborn child only if you conceived it through adultery isn't very far fetched. 

So in essence, the idea here is that there was a process created to address the issue of a Husband believing his wife to be pregnant with another Man's child.  During the process, the Husband brings the Wife to a Priest who will stand the Wife in the temple and instruct her to address God himself, to confess her sin if she has any.  If she addresses God and claims to be without Sin then the Priest explains to her in full that if she is lying, the process of drinking the water will not only kill her unborn Child...but it will curse her body forever.  So in essence, any destruction of the child is not only at the hands of the Woman who must agree to the test but would also be the result of dishonesty to God himself.  Now this is pure speculation but I suppose at some point there was a Woman who thought she could roll the dice on the chance that the Child might be her Husband's even though she committed Adultery...and she most likely paid for it along with her Child.  The Bible is full of stories about these kinds of things, entire families being ruined for the decisions of a Father or a Mother...while they're not pretty...they're far from fables.  The World still very much works that way today, just not on a supernatural level.

You'd have to read Numbers 5:11 thru 5:26 to understand the full context.  But it was a good question.

ImbsterSuperSith89
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk made the best point here.  It's all relying on the context.  Basically every verse that people find issues with has context attached to it.  Why don't people get this though?  It's like they expect the Bible to have been written the day before instead of thousands of years ago.