frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Will Theresa May step aside?

Debate Information

joecavalryrandal
  1. Live Poll

Will Theresa May step aside?

5 votes
    1. Yes
      20.00%
    2. No
      80.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    She will likely step down or be pushed. Bad mistakes...
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    I guess anything is possible, but I think that saying she will get ousted is merely a similar speculation like saying Trump will get impeached 
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    Agree with @islander507 . She seems to be a pretty strong person and one mistake won't deter her too much.
    islander507
  • AlwaysCorrectAlwaysCorrect 279 Pts   -   edited June 2017
    She will, but not soon.

UK parliamentary politics is very different from US elections.

Twice in the last 10 years the UK PM has stood down without being defeated in an election, Blair and Cameron). A PM losing support and looking weak could very easily stand down and would even be expected to by many. The UK relies on legislative power far more than the US as the UK has a terribly weak executive (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) so the PM governs by majority consensus. At the moment May is trying to scrape that together with coalition talks with the DUP but even if she succeeds it's a slim lifeline to hold onto and she'll be very weak.

The reason I say not soon though is twofold.

Firstly, there are no major Conservatives ready to step in and take her place. Boris Johnson is viewed as a very divisive figure, especially after Brexit (he supported some arguments which were generally accepted afterwards as lies). Amber Rudd, the Home Secretary, actually did very badly in the recent elections and as a party you always want you PM in a safe seat. Other than that, who do they have? Gove? Hunt? I can't see it.

The other issue is Brexit. Although pandering to people who wanted to leave the EU, the Conservatives are linked to business and UK businesses widely support staying in the EU which is why despite allowing the referendum, Cameron and most Conservative MPs were Remainers. Regardless of what you think the final outcome of Brexit will be, it will involve a large economic and legislative readjustment which will have various winners and losers and the Conservatives run the two of angering a lot of the electorate and their own base when it kicks in. Far better for an ambitious MP to let May get tarred and feathered with the problems of Brexit and then mount a leadership challenge in 2019 or 2020.

joecavalry
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    I don't believe so.

She now plays a huge role in he British government even bargaining to create a new government for the U.K. I don't believe that she will step aside mainly due to this and the latest elections.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • AlwaysCorrectAlwaysCorrect 279 Pts   -  
    I don't believe so.

She now plays a huge role in he British government even bargaining to create a new government for the U.K. I don't believe that she will step aside mainly due to this and the latest elections.
    The latest elections are viewed as a failure on May's part. She was already PM and didn't need to call them; elections in the UK are every 5 years but can be called early. In this case one wasn't needed until 2020, but she called one anyway because the polls at the time indicated she would come away with an increased majority.

The tables turned during the campaign and she ended up weakening herself and her party on a failed gamble.

That she is negotiating to put together a majority is not a sign of strength, she had a majority a month ago and the norm is for the PM to be able to form a government without need for a coalition. She is having to bargain to hold onto power. I mean if you think despite this she will hold onto power then that's one thing, but I can't see any argument for presenting this as a positive for May.
    randal
  • randalrandal 67 Pts   -  
    No, she has developed plans for brexit and will be showing them off soon.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I just had to revive this thread, since there's a new development.  May will be out before Merkel, who also said she would be stepping aside;

Allies of Theresa May expect her to announce her resignation as prime minister by the end of the week after losing the support of senior members of her Cabinet.

Multiple reports suggest May will announce her departure on Friday, after polls close in the European elections.

"If she doesn't announce a firm date in the near future she risks the humiliation of the 1922 telling her they are changing the rules and being booted out in a vote of no confidence in a rather undignified way," one friend of the prime minister told Business Insider.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-expected-to-resign-after-losing-support-of-cabinet-2019-5