frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should parents be in charge of teaching and talking to their kids about sexuality?

Debate Information

So, this last semester I took a very interesting class about human sexuality, and about a year ago I went to a talk about sexual education in children and how and what to teach according to the age of your child. So what I want to ask is your opinion as to wether its the parent's responsibility to talk about sexuality with their kids or should that be left to schools?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• averyaproaveryapro 150 Pts   -  
    I think that it should be up to the parents to talk to their kids about it. First off, the parents can decide when it's time to have "the talk" because sometimes schools do it way too soon and then the parent gets really awkward and there is some clear tension when the kid starts to talk about it when the parent hasn't told them anything yet. However, I think part of it should be left to schools to teach about. I think to learn about how babies are produced in the womb, and how the reproductive systems work should be left for the schools to teach but the surface level talk about how babies are made and what happens should be left up to the parent to talk to the kid about. 
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    I support (genuinely) taking all children away from parents and making entirely public healthcare and foster care as well as education which will include sex education.

It's unfair that some children get raised much friendlier or smarter than others.
    CuriousGeorge
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    I think parents should educate themselves on how to talk to their children about sexuality, and what information is appropriate according to their age.

Children, since the moment they begin to be aware of themselves, need to be educated on sexuality, but bit by bit. This because at certain ages the begin to become curious about different things, for example when they are 2 or 3 years old they begin to explore their bodies, touching their genitals and stuff like that and we have to teach them that it's not something they should be shamed about but they should know there are places and times for that behavior. Then when they get a little older they begin to be curious about the genitals of the other gender, boys try to lift girls skirts and stuff like that, so then you have to teach them that is not appropriate, etc.

So, as you child is growing and learning and being curious and you need to be there as a parent to mediate between feeding their curiosity and limiting the information they receive only to what they need to know.