frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should The United States let in refugees?

Debate Information

I think there should be a quota for certain countries.
joecavalrypassedbill
What did you think?
  1. Live Poll

Yes or no?

18 votes
    1. Yes
      83.33%
    2. No
      16.67%
DebateIsland.com Founder/Administrator | Contact Me Via Private Messaging (aarong), Contact Support At customerservice@debateisland.com | Happy Debating! 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Yes for the good of the refugees.
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    Nope said:
    Yes for the good of the refugees.
    I believe that the US should let in refugees, but not feel like they are forced to by some mandatory laws. It might make sense to let in refugees during a wartime situation in larger amounts to grow the population and fill in wartime jobs. However, it might make sence not to let in refugees if their ethical / moral background does not fit the interests of the US. That is not to say that religious refugees can't enter based on religion, because ethics and morality are different than religion. I am saying that a person who comes from a poor family, loves the ideals of the US, and needs a job should be let in, but not a convicted terrorist from Al-Queda with no repentence intent on harming US citizens. These are basic examples, but they hopefully show how while there might be many fantastic people out there to be accomodated by the US government, the government should not feel like it has to take in every single one, except say in a wartime situation.
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    I believe that the US should allow refugees from some countries. 
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • passedbillpassedbill 80 Pts   -  
    Yes, refugees should be allowed. They may be leaving their country for a reason/s.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Yes. They are after all the root cause of trouble in the Middle East.
  • brontoraptorbrontoraptor 123 Pts   -  
    @aarong

Who is it exactly that should have a quota? China, Japan, Russia, and even much of the Middle East aren't taking anyone. Saudi Arabia has hajtents for 3 million people and took no one. When is Islam responsible for Islam? It's not our fault that they continue to fight each other and be in the middle of almost every squirmish they can muster. If we can't afford to help our own people, we can't afford millions of refugees.
  • SpeakTruthSpeakTruth 9 Pts   -  
    "Good" refugees, sure.  By good I mean legal that have gone through a fair vetting process. 
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    There's an alarming amount of people for letting in refugees. Maybe these people are liberal, the same people who were upset when president Trump announced his plan for the travel ban. Now let us look at this case: Europe: 

Now I will show this:

Many "refugees" have orchestrated attacks in the name of "Islam" or for "ISIS". 

Now a video from the Alex Jones Channel showing the crisis from September 2016 

Even more disturbing content to be presented

If these videos do not alarm or disturb you, you have serious mental issues. refugees cannot be trusted, unless you think they are friendly, please spend a period of 10 years with the countries with the highest populations.

In my posting of the links, some "1" numbers kept showing up.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • averyaproaveryapro 150 Pts   -  
    I think that the US should let in refugees but if someone has a poor background and can't be trusted I don't think that the United States should be forced to let them in. Also, I think it can do to a certain degree like for countries that have a bad background or might be threatening our country's well-being should have more background checks or more investigations done before the United States lets them in. However, if someone has no criminal background, a solid background check, and doesn't seem suspicious then I think that it should be the United States's duty to welcome refugees into our country that might be struggling wherever else they live. 
  • with_all_humilitywith_all_humility 222 Pts   -  
    The US was established by immigrants, however, it should be done legally and the border should be secured. We should also be having migrants who would contribute to the furthering of the US ideals and society. 
    anonymousdebater
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    Quotas are the best option if every country is required to do it under law 

The European model we are beginning to regret , it’s  caused a lot of societal problems , one of the main ones being it’s drives salaries down in almost every sector as employers exploit  the immigrants for cheap labour , this causes aminosity across the board and is only one of many problems this whole question raises 
  • with_all_humilitywith_all_humility 222 Pts   -  
    It is not a good idea to provide a haven for refugees within another country.  Refugees should be provided safety, there is no reason that military resources should not be used to provide safe zones within any given countries region.  The only time our military could not provide safe zones is if we were to loose superiority over the battle zone.  I don't foresee that happening anytime for the next 30+ years.  Only county we need to be worried about is China in the future.  

I believe refugees brought into a different culture (these are people be displaced by not of they're choosing) is an inevitable clash between cultures.  Culture clashes are happening all over Europe now.  While it appears to be the "right" thing to do, in the end it breeds contempt and ill feelings amongst both refugees and native inhabitants. 

Immigration is totally different, immigration is usually people wanting to leave their native land and seek a chance for perceived chance at a better life. My heart goes out to those in war torn countries, I've been there and it's nothing I would wish upon anyone. However, most of those I interacted with did not really desire to leave their homes and way of life.  With that said, I've only interacted with a few. Those who aided and assisted the US had to be relocated, for fear of retaliation against the individuals. Allowing refugees to relocate to the US would not be a good thing.  
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited April 2018
    The United States was not established by immigrants.  In order to be an immigrant one must move to a foreign Country to live permanently.  The United States was NOT a country when "Colonists" established themselves in North America...in fact there was NO Country in North America when Colonists moved there.  

One cannot immigrate to a Continent that has no Country...they would instead be a Colonist or Settler.  Likewise, foreigners to the United States today cannot be Colonists or Settlers as the U.S. has already been established as a Country.

Summary: The U.S. was NOT established by immigrants.  Immigrants today have nothing in common with the Colonists that established the United States.  Comparisons made between the two are erroneous and a Faulty Comparison.

"If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

Vaulk said:
    The United States was not established by immigrants.  In order to be an immigrant one must move to a foreign Country to live permanently.  The United States was NOT a country when "Colonists" established themselves in North America...in fact there was NO Country in North America when Colonists moved there.  

One cannot immigrate to a Continent that has no Country...they would instead be a Colonist or Settler.  Likewise, foreigners to the United States today cannot be Colonists or Settlers as the U.S. has already been established as a Country.

Summary: The U.S. was NOT established by immigrants.  Immigrants today have nothing in common with the Colonists that established the United States.  Comparisons made between the two are erroneous and a Faulty Comparison.

My lord you are the whitest of the white of the dumb conservatives indeed.

They pillaged, they not just raped but mentally tortured the native americans to the bitter end of their demise.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited April 2018
    Vaulk said:

My lord you are the whitest of the white of the dumb conservatives indeed.

They pillaged, they not just raped but mentally tortured the native americans to the bitter end of their demise.
    Throwing insults towards the person making the Argument is generally frowned upon and discounted as legitimate argument.  If you cannot argue with legitimacy and adhere to the debating method then I would suggest you not debate here.  I know of some excellent reddit comment sections, youtube comment sections and facebook comment sections that might fit your style of arguing better.  Either way, thanks for the argument and I'll take that small victory and head home.  

Also, I've never contested that the original colonists committed atrocities against the native Americans...that however, is irrelevant in determining whether they were Immigrants or Colonists.  I'm not sure who you're arguing against here...but I'm not him and I didn't make that argument.

"If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

@Vaulk I am on my way to win second tournament, already won first. I debate to god tier level thank you bye.

I know what is to debate and what is to rape, torture and abuse a people and say that you didn't immigrate there. Disgusting.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -