frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should children have homework on the weekends?

Debate Information

Most schools you go to might give you homework on the weekends. Some kids think this isn't fair. Others believe it is great practice to study and not play video games all day. What do you guys think?
joecavalry
  1. Live Poll

Should kids get homework on weekends?

9 votes
    1. Of course. Education is a luxury and a lot of people don't have it.
      55.56%
    2. Nah man. I think playing games all day is fine.
      44.44%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Yes, homework is education and should be given on weekends.
    George_HorseMasterofPunErfisflat
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    Generally it works like this: kids get some homework every day, from Monday to Friday. When they actually do this homework, however, is up to them. And it so happens that many of them keep postponing it to the last moment, forced in the end to do it over the weekend. But they do not have to do that: if they can organize themselves well enough, then they should be able to finish all the homework on business days and have Saturdays and Sundays all for themselves. In such case, I do not see why they should not play video games all day.

I think the school should emulate adult life as much as possible. What do adults usually do? We work from Monday to Friday, and spend the weekend relaxing. School students should be able to replicate this schedule, and they usually can, they simply choose not to.
    George_HorseCheesusFarleyAgility_Dude
  • Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    I've never been a fan of homework, and I think teachers shouldn't give children too much homework. Sometimes it has to be done in the weekends, but that isn't too much of a problem. I'd rather do homework on the weekend than at 8 PM on Thursday.
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    It would be nice, but for those who misbehave , they are the ones to have homework on the weekends while the good natured pupils spend quality freetime relaxing and observing life around them, not sitting staring at a screen for hours at a time. 
    MasterofPun
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • CheesusFarleyCheesusFarley 27 Pts   -  
    Fourteen-year-old here, I think no homework should be given on the weekends because having homework only five days a week teaches children that procrastinating is a bad thing. They put their homework off, then they don't have much leisure on the weekend. Additionally, homework needs to be changed. Homework needs to teach new lessons instead of practice for something the entire class did prosperously for 3 hours in one week.
  • MasterofPunMasterofPun 34 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    I think that schools should be free to give school on the weekends - and be free to choose not to do so. Parents can choose what they think is best for their kids off their own wisdom, which is greater than mine. However, it would be practically post boosting if I did not weigh in on the matter.

Free time is one of the most important parts of a developing as a child in my opinion. I think that organized activities are good, but a child needs time to make their own fun by themselves and with friends. If homework on the weekend gets rid of unscheduled free time - then no way - it's too detrimental. But I think well-meaning parents deprive their children of developing their own sense of fun and freedom by filling their children's schedules full of non-stop activity. Rest is important. Whether that's on a weekend, 1 or 2, or a weekday, human being were designed to be able to rest occasionally.