frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Science is wonderful.

Debate Information

Life is change via science.
agsrBaconToes

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    I agree that science is driving change in our lives.  Given how science (if you include technology as part of science) has transformed our life expectancy and quality of life.  The pace of change will exponentially accelerate over this century with robotics, biotech, cognitive computing.  Our lives between now and next 50 years will be contrasted as Amish community vs us today.
    andy
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    It really depends on your definition of science. If by science, you mean:
    a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses; 
    I'm with you.

If by science you mean: We come from monkeys, who came from stars a few Brazilian years ago because we say so, I'd have to politely disagree.
    andyagsrEvidenceBaconToes
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • andyandy 11 Pts   -  
    Thanks for comment @Erfisflat
    Erfisflat
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    There is a theory, however, that science is the Great Filter that prevents every potential civilization from ever expanding beyond its home system. Specifically, every civilization, through pursuing science and technology, eventually creates the technology that becomes its undoing - being it a very powerful weapon able to inflict irreparable damage in case of a military conflict, artificial intelligence that exterminates the organic species and then self-destructs, environmental collapse deeming the planet uninhabitable, a synthetic rapidly spreading virus, nanotechnological apocalypse ("grey goo"), genetic experiments going wrong or one or more other hypothetical scenarios.

I prefer to be optimistic and see science as the driver of human progress - but our children's children's children's [800 times] children might not be so appreciative of it.  :)
    BaconToesZombieguy1987
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    Science is truly a beautiful  and educational subject. It was my favorite subject in school, I always loved to learn about our world in a logical explanation rather than a fairytale book explain how the world and creatures came into existence. 
    Nathaniel_BBaconToesZombieguy1987
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    Science is truly a beautiful  and educational subject. It was my favorite subject in school, I always loved to learn about our world in a logical explanation rather than a fairytale book explain how the world and creatures came into existence. 
    Logical explanation... Right. Everything from nothing is not logical.
    Nathaniel_BcheesycheeseZombieguy1987

Wayne Dyer
  • Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat said:
    Where did god come from then?
    ErfisflatZombieguy1987
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
    Erfisflat said:

I'm not arguing for eternal God, though the explanation given by @evidence is more plausible than the idea that the theory of gravity creating everything from nothing.

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:

I'm not arguing for eternal God, though the explanation given by @evidence is more plausible than the idea that the theory of gravity creating everything from nothing.
    You did not answer my question. Where did god come from?
    Zombieguy1987
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

Bob Barr
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:

It's not a question that has an answer, it's like me asking you where the big banging nothing that exploded into nothing to create everything came from. Maybe God always was and has been.
    EvidenceNathaniel_BZombieguy1987

Wayne Dyer
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:

@Nathaniel_B Hello my friend!

Infinite/God Is, or as God told His servant and prophet Moses: "I Am".
    Infinite is also Eternal, .. without beginning nor end, so understanding these two simple definitions, asking "Where did God come from" is a fallacy.
    andy said:
    Life is change via science.

Hello @andy .. are you a BB-Evolutionist who believes he lives on a spinning globe? If so, then "science" has absolutely no meaning, because in Evolution, your environment and the food you eat is what drives your brain to "think" that you do science. In it "science simply happens", chemical illusions and delusions upon the brain.

If you are a creationist who understands and believes in Infinite and Eternal God, then life should be joy and bliss by science, as @Erfisflat explained above, "observing the world around us" and giving God the glory for His awesome Creation. But once science started to "change" who we are, and what "we/me/I" can do, it became a nightmare.

Too late, .. 

Related image

"Hey Ariel, you want to sleep over tonight, it'll be a lot of fun!"

Image result for pic of teens on cell phones not talking to each other

Without God, science and technology is a nightmare:

Look at this, "Many things can happen in a dangerous world!"

Just how much does it take to kill a human? Or to scare one? Well, just take out a BB-gun and wave it around people and watch them duck. Yep, from a little BB-gun.

Erfisflat
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:

It's not a question that has an answer, it's like me asking you where the big banging nothing that exploded into nothing to create everything came from. Maybe God always was and has been.
    @Erfisflat Actually if you think about it, that's the only thing possible, for God to have always existed, .. right? If God was finite, then He would of have to have had a creator. So the only way this universe, our Earth and everything in it is possible is if it was created by an uncreated Creator, .. right?
    And the Bible tells us who that Is. God who is; Infinite Wisdom, .. which is none other than the conscious - Infinite/Mind "I Am".
    Erfisflat
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat said:
    George_Horse said:
    i fart cows
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:

Not going to ask you again. You claim "Everything from nothing is nonsense" my question is again, if everything coming from nothing is viewed by you to be "nonsense", where did god come from.?

Bob Barr
    BaconToes said:
    Erfisflat said:
    George_Horse said:
    Otherwise? I don't see anything there. Oh, you were making a joke! I get it! Hahahaha

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:

Not going to ask you again. You claim "Everything from nothing is nonsense" my question is again, if everything coming from nothing is viewed by you to be "nonsense", where did god come from.?
    Maybe you missed my reply. What if God always was??
    EvidenceNathaniel_B

Wayne Dyer
    BaconToes said:
    Erfisflat said:
    George_Horse said:
    @BaconToes ;
    I asked physicscentral.com - "what is 'nothing'?" or "Define nothing", and no answer!? Oh, and I'm not about to buy a book to find out that they don't know.
    If something can come out of nothing, then 'nothing' is a medium. What medium is 'nothing' made out of? And how would you know it was coming out of 'nothing' and not 'out of thin air'? Are Physicists observing nothing in nothing? Or is it in air, or water, or a vacuum, because none of these are 'nothing' since even a vacuum has light and other radiations going through it.

@Erfisflat - wouldn't it be reasonable for Physicists to understand what 'nothing' is first before they start making up stories of all the things that can come out of nothing? I mean my older brother used to scare me because I swear he "popped out of nothing"!
    Erfisflat
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:

I see you like to be dodgy. God always was what? You make NO sense whatsoever. 

Bob Barr
  • cheesycheesecheesycheese 79 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:

I see you like to be dodgy. God always was what? You make NO sense whatsoever. 
    god has always existed