frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why religious people AREN'T dumb

Debate Information

Are these religious people idiots, as some say?

Martin Scorsese?
Stephen Spielberg?
Jennifer Lawrence?
Oprah Winfrey?
Stephen Colbert?
Bill Maher (before he turned 40)?
Bill O'Reilly?
Mindy Kaling?
Angelina Jolie?
Mark Wahlberg?
Tina Turner?
Mayim Bialik?
Denzel Washington?
Stephen Baldwin?
Michelle Williams?
Orlando Bloom?
Steven Seagal?
someone234with_all_humility
    No results for this poll

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• JudaismJudaism 180 Pts   -  
    Come on, Wowsil, get up and fight!
    someone234Zombieguy1987
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Judaism said:
    Come on, Wowsil, get up and fight!
    Watch him come and say OMG I'm so smart because I doubt everything. Not realising he fails to doubt atheism as being the truth.
    Zombieguy1987
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Wowsil said:
    If you are trying vainly to add a topic that is the antithesis of mine, you have it horribly wrong 
    No, I don't have it horribly wrong. You have to prove that if you want to claim it and be considered correct.
    Wowsil said:
    have once again, crashed badly, or are you just trolling and stirring up for the sake of it?
    Neither, you're the troll here and you're so full of c**p that it's almost too easy to prove you wrong. If you get aggravated by what I write it's because your trolling is backfiring hard as I react by turning the rude remarks back onto you.

Wowsil said:
    My thread was comparing theists with atheists.
    All the people you listed (assuming they are all theists) 

Who did I list? Enlighten me where my list is.
    Wowsil said:
     would have an IQ, on average, 2 points higher had they been atheists for most of their lives
    LOL! IQ doesn't increase at will based on religious affiliation, xD!!!! You just typed TOTAL NONSENSE here.
    Wowsil said:
     as verified by properly researched findings as per my topic.

If atheists do have higher IQ than theists as an absolute, EVEN THEN, one can't 'choose to become atheist' and more certainly can't increase their IQ as a result of that (it would be the other way around if the theory you posit is true).

with_all_humilityApplesauce
    "Watch him come and say OMG I'm so smart because I doubt everything. Not realizing he fails to doubt atheism as being the truth." someone234, I couldn't have said it better!

As for Wowsil here, how utterly RIDICULOUS! Are you always this or is today just a special occasion? Really, your response was retarded. So Martin Scorsese's just ins't smart enough? What is this, Chinese chess?

IQ doesn't work that way, dumba**. Bill Maher always had/has the same IQ, ALWAYS. For most of his life, he was Catholic, one day, at 40, he became an atheist. Did he suddenly get smarter? Did his IQ just jump sky high? Come on, we know zombies eat brains, so you're safe.

And it's also insulating to those great minds. I have a friend who's a filmmaker, he believes in G-d. Is he suddnelt "dumb"? Is he not "good enough"? 

So let's say my IQ was 40. Okay, let's just say, I don't know what it is, I never had it tested. Would I be an atheist if it j u s t    w a s   41? Just a point higher? 

Chris Nolan's iq is 148, Tarantino's 160. Spielberg and Scorsese CAN'T be far off, they might even eclipses the former, for all we know. At least you're smarter than Joeseph here, he was even MORE of an . You know what he said? "Judaism, you're just dumb, they clearly aren't." Good job, mazel tov! He just made himself sound like a fool, as well as fell into my trap. Y'see, it was a trap. Yes, we Jews are clever! I'm stigmatizing myself, since your an anti-Semite who'll just buy what he's told, so why not? Anyway, I tricked your foolish little . 

How so? Well, at least you were subtle. At least you have more brains. I dunno, but if I had to say, you're at least 2 more points higher than Joeseph, but 2 points isn't far. 

See, you both fell for it, in your own way, and tried to get out of it. You both stupidly declared that "all religious people are dimwits." Great! Now what about blah, blah, blah? 

. . . Haha. . . now one turns around and says I'm just not as smart, and another - you - say that "had they just been a bit smarter. . . had their moms breastfeed them. . . ." It won't work buddy.

Stop the game playing. People of faith can be just as smart. I bet Richard Dawkins and Francis Collins got roughly the same iq score, don't play games here. You look when you do, I mean, you already look all the time, but you look even stupider now; more than ever. So stop. We all know you're an , but you don't have to shout it out to everyone.
    someone234
    someone234, so true. This , who calls himself baby Wowsil here, who can't tell the difference between an aggadic text of the Talmud and one of halacha, who doesn't know that the Baalei Tosafot is commentary, that Mishneh Torah was written by Rambam, and for its purpose; he literally wouldn't know whether or not to make a panim chadashos at a Sheva Brachos celebration look like a korban olah! Better yet, he'd spray barbecue sauce all over it! And this moron here, expects us to just DROP our faith because. . . and this is the best part. . . because he thinks we should?

What HOGWASH 101!

Bill Mahre SUDDENLY woke up one day and realized his IQ potential was far greater than he ever imagined. He was always religious, and he always knew he had a good IQ, but one day, he had a secular revelation. "Ah-ha! I can grow my brain, literally. I can increase my IQ score - something no one has ever done before, or will - by 40 more points if I JUST drop religion. Who cares if I go to hell, I want to be smart!"

That's what this fool, Wowsil, believes in. Yes, he's a fu***** RETARD. And by the way, we Jews don't say anyone goes to hell just because they don't believe in G-d, I'll be hearing that next from that big dummy. He IS A TROLL.
    with_all_humilitysomeone234
  • Agility_DudeAgility_Dude 62 Pts   -  
    Well, this has been interesting to read. I have a few things to say to add to this debate. I lean more towards @Wowsil more than you guys @Someone234 and @Judaism, but don't agree on everything. I would actually be curious in seeing the study you referenced Wowsil for atheists having on average 2 iq points higher than theists. But even if that's true, I don't think that it is that much different. 2 IQ points means very little in the grand scheme of things. I have an IQ of 132, and a Muslim friend with an IQ of 138, and we go back and forth on religious debates, always concluding that it's impossible to know something. (Usually I push some topic like hell is immoral and then I am winning and then he figures out a response and then we conclude that we can never know). It's actually quite funny.

But the main thing that I want to say is that I don't really think that religious people are necessarily dumb. I just think that they're ignorant. When you have a strongly reinforced education at a young age about religion or even anything, you are most likely going to believe in that thing even when you are at your critical thinking age. I was actually raised as a catholic myself, and I guessed I was not educated very strongly, because by the time that I was 8, I was questioning some of the things I was taught. I remember the first skeptical question I asked: "If god is so loving, then why does he send so many people to hell?" However, that is not to say that atheists are any different. You can be raised strongly atheist and be ignorant too. It's just that religious parenting reinforces theism much stronger than atheist parenting reinforces atheism.

Just a few things to throw into the debate. And also, let's try to keep out the ad hominem attacks here, or we'll never reach any conclusion that we can all agree with.
    Zombieguy1987
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    Oh wow, it's been a long time.

Religious people aren't dumb, just misinformed.
    Zombieguy1987
    i fart cows
  • @BaconToes

It's been a while since I've seen any post from you...Good to see ya again!
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    @BaconToes

It's been a while since I've seen any post from you...Good to see ya again!
    Thanks, was taking a break from debating
    with_all_humility
    i fart cows
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    I do not think religious people are any less intelligent than non-religious people. Well, on average, they might be more ignorant and maybe less logical-thinking - but not less intelligent.

However, your argument is flawed. Very smart and intelligent people can sometimes have the most ridiculous beliefs, especially in the fields they are not experts on. Kasparov, arguably the best chess player of all times, a major expert on economics and politics, and incredible businessman and organizer - follows one of the alternative history theories, that basically takes the mainstream historical sciences as a global conspiracy, and that contradicts all dating methods existing nowadays. It does not take much research to see that this theory is wrong, yet he, a person with incredible cognitive abilities, still follows it. Why? Who knows. There is usually a good reason for having any bias against facts hidden deep inside one's psychological profile, so I will leave it to experts on psychology to answer this question.

The bottom line is, smart people can believe in not-so-smart things sometimes. Your list proves nothing but the fact that some very intelligent people followed religion. It does not support religion being the choice of the intelligent in any way, however. 
    Agility_Dude

Don't take this with offense, but had you grown up Jewish, things would have been very different. This is because we don't believe G-d is sending everyone to hell who isn't Jewish. That's hogwash. He - the Ein Sof - has no right to do that. Unlike Christianity or Islam, we don't believe non-believers are going to hell. 
    @BaconToes 

Oh no, bacon!
    @Judaism I believe that when you have a belief like this so tightly would into your being you might become quite dogmatic when people disagree with you. I believe that you should be open to any opposition especially in this case because if god is real then we are incentivized to do good to get into heaven, and if god is not real, it means that we can put hours devoted to worshipping god to better use.
  • AlexOlandAlexOland 313 Pts   -  
     I do not have any information on the subject but I am pretty sure this is a fallacy. You can not prove that religious people in general are smart by showing some examples. Let me put it this way, black people in general have lower IQ points. Can I prove this to be false by showing succesful black people? No. This will still not change the average.
    Agility_Dude
    Agility_Dude, and what if G-d does exist?
    AlexOland they found Blacks in Africa was an IQ of 170. The hogwash that the Black race are dumb is just pure myth.
    @Judaism You are committing the same fallacy mate. Just because there are smart black people, does not mean that black people in general are smart. Studies clearly show a difference between the IQ's of the races.
    AlexOland, yes, there are dumb Blacks as they're dumb Whites, Jews, etc., even though I myself am Jewish. But to say that MOST of the Black race is dumb is wrong. It's not true.
    @Judaism, the emotion is still there. The dogmatism still might exist. And about the racial IQ example it is true. Let me show you:

Image result for iq by race

That ranks the average iq of people in a country. Here's one by race:

Image result for iq by race

Both of these prove @AlexOland 's point.
    @Judaism It is true. You should have done a quick search before automatically disregarding what I say.
    http://aristocratsofthesoul.com/average-iq-by-race-and-ethnicity/
    https://iq-research.info/en/average-iq-by-country
    https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/first/j/jencks-gap.html?mcubz=3

Black people earn less, score lower on tests and their average IQ is lower. This is a fact.

@AlexOlandAgility_Dude, while IQ exists, it was originally meant to degrade the Black race.
    @Judaism Any proof on that? Because as I see it, IQ tests are a very good way of determining the intelligence of a person. You should take a non-verbal IQ test and see what it involves. It only consists of reaching conclusions through processing the information given to you. That is what intelligence is. The ability to process information.
    @Judaism it probably was. I agree. That doesn't mean that what is being said here isn't true. The next question we have to ask is how to we go about knowing this without creating a white supremacist society? I believe that we should point to Martin Luther King Jr.'s belief that we should judge people as individuals rather than by race. Therefore, we can still know these facts without having a racist society.
    Agility_Dude with you I agree with, we must be careful.
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    It appears some people misunderstand what some people say about religious people and their fairy tales.

Religious people are dumb, but very. VERY misinformed and will just run with it
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    Judaism said:
    Are these religious people idiots, as some say?

Martin Scorsese?
    Stephen Spielberg?
    Jennifer Lawrence?
    Oprah Winfrey?
    Stephen Colbert?
    Bill Maher (before he turned 40)?
    Bill O'Reilly?
    Mindy Kaling?
    Angelina Jolie?
    Mark Wahlberg?
    Tina Turner?
    Mayim Bialik?