frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Are healthcare and contraception basic human rights?

Debate Information

I put this in the philosophy section, because I believe rights do exist, and are philosophical in nature. I assume the burden of proof because I take the affirmative position. I believe healthcare is a right because I am now a right to lifer from womb to tomb. I believe I have the right to live. Human people have the right to live from implantation to the time they die. Just ask if you need clarification. I believe contraception is a right because what I do before implantation is my business. I choose to have a one time procedure of having my tube removed which saves money over my life time, more than other methods, and is the most effective contraception available today. I support Medicare For All for these reasons. Medicare For All saves lives, money, and improves the quality of life for the living. I have preexisting medical conditions, and am mentally, and visually disabled, so I can't qualify for private insurance, can only work part time, and just can't afford to pay for healthcare. Don't I have the right to live? Before you say no, please tell me why. It is messed up to say someone does have the right to live. Conservatives are prolife until someone is born, then they don't care. What would Jesus do?
  1. Live Poll

Are healthcare and contraception basic human rights?

3 votes
    1. I'm prolife.
      66.67%
    2. No.
      33.33%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -   edited September 2018
    I will just make an analogy to illustrate a flaw in this reasoning. We have this right called "freedom of movement", meaning that (aside from the property belonging to a private owner or to a governmental organization) we have the right to travel to any point within our country, and nobody has the right to prevent us from it.

Now, suppose I want to travel to the point exactly 4 miles above where I am right now. According to the international law, that point belongs to the US air space, hence I have the right to be there. Does it mean I have the right to be relocated there, meaning I can, say, request a free plane from the government in order to get there? The answer is obviously not.

As I said in another debate on this topic, a right for something does not imply being guaranteed that something, it simply means not being prevented from achieving that something. Nobody can prevent me from getting up 4 miles from this point by my own means, but at the same time nobody has the duty to get me there by any means necessary upon my request.

---

You have the right to purchase healthcare services from any healthcare provider. You do not have the right to request funding of those services from the government, however. For the cases of disabled people, or those who cannot afford the most basic services, the government generally interferes - however, it does so not based on the rights of those people, but based on the "collective good" reasoning, that, in fact, violates other people's property rights, since the funding of your purchased services is taken from them without their consent.

There are good arguments both for and against universal healthcare. The rights-based argument is not one of them, in my opinion, as there is a difference between a "right for something" and a "guarantee of something".
    Zombieguy1987
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar This is my body. I have the right to live.
    Zombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

I never said you did not. I merely said that your right to live does not imply that other people are obliged to financially support you in order to guarantee that. A "right" relates to the freedom of opportunity; universal healthcare, on the other end, attributes to the guarantee of the outcome, which is a different beast entirely.
    Zombieguy1987
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar Yes you did. You think people who can't afford healthcare should die without it. My right to live does not depend on my ability to pay for healthcare. I hope you don't claim to be Christian and/or prolife.
    Zombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar

What people "should" do is completely unrelated to the subject of rights. You are confusing multiple issues that are fundamentally separate from each other.

I do not think that people who cannot afford healthcare should die without it. What I think, however, does not magically redefine what a "right" is. A "right" is not about whether a person dies or not, it is about whether they are allowed to try to do something about it or not.
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    No one should get any healthcate. Let nature run its course.
  • JoesephJoeseph 651 Pts   -   edited September 2018
    They are already recognised as such but our resources and funding for such are different  from country to country ,   The right to health is internationally recognised as a fundamental human right. In 1946, the WHO stated in its constitution that “the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health is one of the fundamental rights of every human being without distinction of race, religion, political belief, economic or social condition.” This right was also included in the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in the 1966 International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.

The UK is a signatory to the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR). This means the UK is bound, in international law, to protect the right to health. (See below for how health is also protected through domestic human rights legislation.)

Under the ICESCR, the right to health is subject to ‘progressive realisation’, which means the UK must take steps towards achieving this right to the maximum of its available resources, but recognising that realisation can be hampered by a limited resources and may only be achievable over a period of time.

The (progressively realisable) right to health under the ICESCR can be compared with the rights contained in the European Convention on Human Rights which are immediately realisable, such as the right to be free from torture and inhuman and degrading treatment.

The right to contraception is also internationally recognised but again is hampered by many different factors including funding  
  • JoesephJoeseph 651 Pts   -  
    @WordsMatter

Interesting, so let someone die if they can’t afford to pay ? What about starving children should they die if their parents  cannot afford or have access too food ?