frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should suicide become a legal human right ?

Debate Information

Should one be allowed the choice to end what to them is a miserable life or should one be made by society to suffer on ?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• JoesephJoeseph 654 Pts   -  
    @Wowsil

You say .....
    In other words, it's just not your life, others have a viable claim to it also so, in the end, it is time to buck your ideas up and start living as part of society instead of just for your selfish self. 

My reply .... Interesting the way we have different views on this topic it makes for good debate .

I do believe it’s just my life and no one has any claim whatsoever on it , it’s all very well to say buck your ideas up and I get that totally if one is merely going through a bad patch,  a fair amount of humans live lives of unbearable torture through mental illness , physical ailments and various other causes I actually think it’s entirely rational for them to want to end their suffering 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    Suicide almost certainly must be recognized as a legal human right: one's body is their property, and the property rights dictate that they are able to destroy their body if they so desire.

Suicide is one of those things that are bad in themselves and should be criticized, but taking legal action against which leads to much bigger problems still. The principles of freedom and liberty exist for a reason, and restricting them in the name of saving a human life is one of the most common errors in policy-making, leading, as a rule, to the loss of many more human lives.
    Zombieguy1987
  • JoesephJoeseph 654 Pts   -  
    @Wowsil

You say .....but I don't think it is in any way a rational decision for someone to end their life, far from it...it is completely irrational.

My reply ..... But surely one has to take it case by case ? One example,  I know a man of 97 perfectly fit and healthy who told me he has outlived his kids , wives and most his family as he had no grandkids , he says he’s done and seen it all and he wants to die as he’s sick and tired of living what “right “ do I have to interfere in his decision?