frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Are God's Laws done away with? Persuade me.

Debate Information

All Christians believe the Laws of God are done away with. But when you actually read the Bible it says otherwise. 

So Christians and/or those of other religions that might have the same beliefs as Christians do, show me your proof to persuade me into believing the Laws of God are done away with. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Just something to note. The first law is to not put any god before/above the Christian god.

It's an extremely bully-prone misconception to think this doesn't allow you to consider other God's equal to god. It's not semantic abuse to be a Pagan, it's simply correct interpretation.
  • RoyaltyRoyalty 25 Pts   -  
    Just something to note. The first law is to not put any god before/above the Christian god.

It's an extremely bully-prone misconception to think this doesn't allow you to consider other God's equal to god. It's not semantic abuse to be a Pagan, it's simply correct interpretation.
    The Christian god is idolatry. The Christian god is not the God of the bible. "I am the LORD your God and ye shall not serve no other gods before me." is clear as day. You shall not serve no other gods before me. Meaning the Israelites cannot serve the Christian god, the Muslim god, the Buddhist god, and such and such. So if you are trying to say that the 1st commandment is misinterpreted and we can serve other gods, Pagan gods, you are misinterpreting the scriptures. 

This in no way persuades me to believe that the Law of God is done away with. 
    Royalty said:

The Christian god is idolatry. The Christian god is not the God of the bible. "I am the LORD your God and ye shall not serve no other gods before me." is clear as day. You shall not serve no other gods before me. Meaning the Israelites cannot serve the Christian god, the Muslim god, the Buddhist god, and such and such. So if you are trying to say that the 1st commandment is misinterpreted and we can serve other gods, Pagan gods, you are misinterpreting the scriptures. 

How am I misinterpreting it?
    Royalty said:

How am I misinterpreting it?
    Because you are saying that we can worship other gods aside from God when the scrip clearly says "ye shall serve no other gods..." Thats clear as day. How do you get you can serve other gods out of "ye shall serve NO OTHER gods..."?
  • brontoraptorbrontoraptor 123 Pts   -  
    @Royalty

The Ceremonial Laws are done away with. We were told by Jesus to follow his example. His example? He didn't stone the adultering woman or practice eye for an eye.
    @Royalty

The Ceremonial Laws are done away with. We were told by Jesus to follow his example. His example? He didn't stone the adultering woman or practice eye for an eye.
    The only law that was done away with was the law of animal sacrifice. Under Christ we have repentance and mercy because under Moses, there were certain laws that you would get immediate death for, such as, adultery, fornication, homosexuality, bestiality, murder, etc. Under Christ we have mercy, grace and repentance. Which means that if the Israelites were to commit adultery while they are married, they can repent of that sin, as opposed to being put to death. So the death of Christ was to abolish the law of animal sacrifice that's it. The ceremonial, civil, marital, and moral laws are still in effect. 
    poco
    @Royalty

You can say that, but as I pointed out, Christ disobeyed the ceremonial laws himself.
    @Royalty

You can say that, but as I pointed out, Christ disobeyed the ceremonial laws himself.
    You didn't point out where Christ disobeyed the High Holy Days. You pointed out the law of sacrifice. If Christ disobeyed the commandments of God that would mean that Christ was a sinner, but Christ never sinned. Christ taught the Law to the Apostles. 

Check this out. When Paul, who was a Disciple of Christ, went out to teach the Israelites & those Israelites scattered abroad, there was rumor going around that Paul was teaching to forsake the Law of Moses. But guess what he did to prove that rumor wrong? He kept the Law and made a sacrifice to show the Israelites that he, Christ & the rest of the Disciples were in no way against law and animal sacrifice. 

Acts 21:20-26

20And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law:

21And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.

22What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come.

23Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them;

24Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.

25As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written andconcluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

26Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

Christ & the Disciples were not against the Law of Moses, but when it came to salvation, they are because animal sacrifice can not save the Israelites. Not only that, the temple where they made sacrifices was destroyed by the Romans so all they'll have left is their faith. 

So you didn't prove anything with what you pointed out because what you pointed out had nothing to do with Christ saying the ceremonials laws are done away with. The 1 verse you pointed out goes into the law of animal sacrifice. 

• TheeKnowingTheeKnowing 31 Pts   -  
    @Royalty
    Have you noticed how these pagan Christians can’t back up their pagan doctrine? Lmao. Christianity is garbage. You should do a debate on this subject matter.
    @Royalty
    Have you noticed how these pagan Christians can’t back up their pagan doctrine? Lmao. Christianity is garbage. You should do a debate on this subject matter.
    THATS RIGHT! All praises to TMH and I might do a debate but I don't think anyone is going to debate me
  • pocopoco 93 Pts   -  
    @RoyaltyIf you're referring to the 613 or so OT laws, then they have not been done away with, altho Jesus/God kinda pooled them all together in His 2 main commandments, of loving God & one's neighbor.  He told us all the other commandments are answered with those 2, & therefore we are not burdened by their demands any longer.

Jesus came to fulfill those commandments, & thru His death on the cross we are no longer bound by the law (the OT laws) but now are under grace.  Jesus fulfilled this upon His death as the NT tells us.
    A couple of verses among many that explains that we are no longer under the OT laws:

Christians are not under the law. (Romans 6:14)

Christians have been delivered from the law. (Romans 7:1-6)

• pocopoco 93 Pts   -  
    @RoyaltyI hve noticed from your other comments that you do not recognize the NT as the change from Old Covenant to New.  Your arguments are based on the assumption that all people in the NT, including Jesus, violate God's law in some manner.  Very typical from those that do not give credence for this change, & ignore the New Covenant, just haven't read, or paid attention, or understood plain English when reading the bible. 

You seem to quote verses, but I have to wonder if those are just from looking them up to promote your own narrative, or if you've ever read the bible.  Using verses to tell a diff story is taking them out of context.  Another typical tactic that shows just how you lack real biblical knowledge ..... take a verse here & there ..... & attach it to a meaning never intended.  I just gotta laugh.

If you are going to use an absolute literal word for word interpretation, then no wonder you do not know what the bible is about.  Did you by any chance give book reports when you were in school?  I bet if your instructor asked for  report on "Animal Farm" by Orwell, using your method of literal interpretation, your report would have stated that the story was about disgruntled animals that didn't like their owner/farmer.  Of course, you'd be given a failing grade on that report.  Same thing about the bible.  One must realize it must be studied to understand the message past the literal words.  Jesus even told parables so as people would research His message, rather than giving them a 1 ... 2... 3... step by literal step instruction manual. 

I also have to wonder how you say the Christian God is idolatry?  I see nothing you have written to back that up.

Also, that Jesus broke ceremonial laws.  You assume that Jesus was under the law, which is incorrect.  Jesus wasn't under the law, so how could He break it?  Jesus came change many things, & changing being under the OT laws, to being under grace is one of them.
    poco said:
    @RoyaltyI hve noticed from your other comments that you do not recognize the NT as the change from Old Covenant to New.  Your arguments are based on the assumption that all people in the NT, including Jesus, violate God's law in some manner.  Very typical from those that do not give credence for this change, & ignore the New Covenant, just haven't read, or paid attention, or understood plain English when reading the bible. 

You seem to quote verses, but I have to wonder if those are just from looking them up to promote your own narrative, or if you've ever read the bible.  Using verses to tell a diff story is taking them out of context.  Another typical tactic that shows just how you lack real biblical knowledge ..... take a verse here & there ..... & attach it to a meaning never intended.  I just gotta laugh.

If you are going to use an absolute literal word for word interpretation, then no wonder you do not know what the bible is about.  Did you by any chance give book reports when you were in school?  I bet if your instructor asked for  report on "Animal Farm" by Orwell, using your method of literal interpretation, your report would have stated that the story was about disgruntled animals that didn't like their owner/farmer.  Of course, you'd be given a failing grade on that report.  Same thing about the bible.  One must realize it must be studied to understand the message past the literal words.  Jesus even told parables so as people would research His message, rather than giving them a 1 ... 2... 3... step by literal step instruction manual. 

I also have to wonder how you say the Christian God is idolatry?  I see nothing you have written to back that up.

Also, that Jesus broke ceremonial laws.  You assume that Jesus was under the law, which is incorrect.  Jesus wasn't under the law, so how could He break it?  Jesus came change many things, & changing being under the OT laws, to being under grace is one of them.
    I'll ask you one question that will basically throw your entire interpretation of the biblical Laws, right out of the window.

What is sin?
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @someone234

Have you debated about Religion with some who might possibly be anti religious via the internet before? 

• It’s all made up. They made it up. 
    The priveledged clergy spawned pedophiles and because they were priveledged by their own organization they were in a perfect position to cover it up and lie to millions of rather dull and uninspired people. But who can be inspired in a society where your life is in peril gathering food and shelter.  It’s more of a protection from inbreeders than anything.  
    @TTKDB Is there something you are leading on to with that question? So I seem inexperienced or something?
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @someone234:

"Is there something you are leading on to with that question? So I seem inexperienced or something?"

Not at all, my point is that if one ventures to the internet to get a neutral or both sides of the conversation in regards to the subject of religion, you might come across invisible walls that have been in place apparently since the mid to late 1990's.

I've yet to see a debate website past and present where a neutral or both sides of the story in regards to religion is apparently sparse at best? 

Aside from the internet, youve got organizations that through the assistance of lawyers taking religious symbols on this or that property, and taking a monument to court, that has been around since WWII, and expessing that the monument be charged to look less like a cross, and look more astetically pleasing to those that disagree with the look of the  monument? 

@TTKDB I think 'sparse' means the opposite of what you think it means.
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @someone234:

"I think 'sparse' means the opposite of what you think it means."

From the Google Dictionary;

sparse
    /spärs/
    adjective
    1. thinly dispersed or scattered.
      "areas of sparse population"

Are you possibly anti religious? 

@TTKDB Sparse means what I thought it meant. I don't understand your point at all.
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @someone234

"Sparse means what I thought it meant. I don't understand your point"

With your tone, you sound very similar to Joeseph.

Joeseph is that you; "someone234?"
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    It would appear that if religious people voluntarily bother themselves with God's law's, then I guess that the rest of the non religious individuals who aren't religious, don't have a thing to fret over when it comes to God's law's then, it would seem?

The above point of view, seems to be very self persausive to me?