frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should birth control be free or affordable?

Debate Information

I say affordable.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Packs of condoms are plenty affordable. Even clinics will offere them for free
    Applesauce
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    @AmericanFurryBoy if the argument is you don't want tax money spent on other people's birth control, then I don't understand it. It's significantly cheaper to the tax payer to prevent a birth via free contraception vs paying for hospital bills, social services, whether they be education spending, healthcare, food stamps, or even adoption agency costs. 

Even if you believe none of those things should be publicly funded, it's less likely that sending gets taken away from those than it is that free contraception is offered. Wouldn't it be better to save some money via free contraception while you fight to defund those other programs?

It's the same argument I take with feminists around the draft. They don't want women to be eligible for the draft because they don't want there to be a draft at all, but until the draft is eliminated it's more in line with their interests to have women and men be eligible.
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @AmericanFurryBoy Condoms can fail.
  • @YeshuaBought
    If you use them correctly which is pretty easy then they shouldn’t fail. Don’t heat them or cool them, don’t poke holes in them and don’t use them past their expiration date.
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    Cheap or not, some poor people would have to take food out of the mouths of existing children (or themselves) to buy contraception. A poor woman would find it difficult to "shut her husband off" because they couldn't afford to "take a chance". 
    It's MUCH cheaper (and more humane), to supply contraception than to produce another mouth to feed and another body to keep alive and well. It's also much cheaper (and more humane), to allow an unwanted and unaffordable fetus to be aborted than to bring a live baby into a world of poverty, illness and slow death!
    I'm not for frivolous abortion but we MUST be practical! Roe v Wade may sometimes be abused, nearly every law IS! I still believe it does more good than bad, as most laws do. The same, and even MORE so, Planned Parenthood is a necessity for the poor!
    Applesauce
  • funpersonfunperson 66 Pts   -  
    Should be affordable but I would only pay for it if the sole alternative is abortion
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    Birth control IS free.  Abstinence costs nothing.
    Applesauce
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    I don't see the pregnancy rate among the homeless as a huge issue since they are truly poor.  Welfare generally pays for it, even the expensive IUD and implanon.  There doesn't seem to be an issue here to fix.  How much does a month of birth control pills cost?  Doesn't planned parenthood provide birth control?  Please provide real reasons rather than excuses as to why people generally can't get birth control but can afford tobacco and automobiles etc.
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals