frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Germany wasn't the reason World War 1 started

Debate Information

Whenever I watch a documentary about World War 1, I always facepalm when the narrator says the German Empire was the reason WW1 began. This leads people being misled from who actually started WW1, which was Serbia, who sent people to assassinate the leader of Austria-Hungary  
Oppolzer
  1. Live Poll

Was Germany to blame for World War 1?

7 votes
    1. Yes
        0.00%
    2. No
      100.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    Good ol ArchDuke Franz Ferdinand rip
    Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_World_War_I

Some excerpts in regards to WWI:

"Causes of World War I

For the article on the war itself, see World War I.
    European diplomatic alignments shortly before the war. Note: Germany and the Ottoman Empire only formed an alliance shortly following the outbreak of the war.
    Map of the world with the participants in World War I in 1917. Allies are in green, the Central Powers in orange and neutral countries in grey.

The causes of World War I remain controversial. World War I began in the Balkans in late July 1914 and ended in November 1918, leaving 17 million dead and 20 million wounded.

Scholars looking at the long-term seek to explain why two rival sets of powers – Germany and Austria-Hungary on the one hand, and Russia, France, and Great Britain on the other – had come into conflict by 1914. They look at such factors as political, territorial and economic conflicts, militarism, a complex web of alliances and alignments, imperialism, the growth of nationalism, and the power vacuum created by the decline of the Ottoman Empire. Other important long-term or structural factors that are often studied include unresolved territorial disputes, the perceived breakdown of the balance of power in Europe,[1][2] convoluted and fragmented governance, the arms races of the previous decades, and military planning.[3] "

• funpersonfunperson 66 Pts   -  
    I think it was Austria-Hungary that really started it. They used Franz Ferdinand's assassination as a reason to wage war against Serbia. It was one of the two either way. Too bad the allies didn't understand; and that's how we got WWII
    Zombieguy1987
  • OppolzerOppolzer 191 Pts   -  
    There were already issues present in Europe at the time, but the more immediate cause of World War I was the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary, along with his wife, Sophie. After this, Austria-Hungary received reassurance from Germany of its support. Then, the Austro-Hungarian Empire declared war on Serbia. It’s a misleading and deceptive statement that Germany was the cause of World War I.

Before the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, there were already issues transpiring in Europe. Peace in Europe was very fragile, in which anything could set off a conflict. Some pre-existing problems corresponded with militarism, alliances, imperialism, and nationalism (also known as M.A.I.N).

Nationalism in Europe: The nationalism in Europe played a significant aspect in the road to World War I. At the time, each country was resolute of its culture. Therefore, Bosnia wanted to break away from Austria-Hungary. 

Imperialism in Europe: The elevation of Imperialism increased dramatically, which was another big factor. This lead to countries fighting for foreign colonies.

Militarism in Europe: The exponential increase in Militarism made countries ready for battle.

Alliances in Europe: At the time, many European countries began to establish alliances. Before World War I, the two major European alliances were: the Triple Entente (Russia, Great Britain, and France) and the Triple Alliance (Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Italy).

The confusion that Germany was the reason World War I commenced associates with Germany’s declare for war against Russia and France. To attack France, Germany has to pass through Belgium. Therefore, they issued an ultimatum demanding the need to pass through Belgian territory, which enraged the British. The British declared war on Germany the next day. Documentaries confuse this occurrence as the cause of World War I.
    Zombieguy1987