frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Brexit - Good idea or bad idea?

Debate Information

Do you think that Brexit in the UK is a good idea or a bad idea and why? I honestly don't know and I think anyone that says do know for sure about what will happen long term is either ill-informed or lying to themselves as well as others. What I think we all can say for sure though is that we have uncertainty and that David Cameron did a pretty good job at dividing a nation.

On the one hand, you have people that say that remaining part of the EU was an economically good idea as it was working at least when David Cameron was in power; on the other, some people argue their concerns about the way the EU is heading. Based on this I think this is a bit like a catch 22 with both options having good advantages and disadvantages, and what each vote is ultimately a gamble. 

What do you think?
  1. Live Poll

Is Brexit a good idea?

3 votes
    1. Yes
      66.67%
    2. No
      33.33%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    The original designers of EU had the right idea in mind: to create a shared economical and immigration space between a group of nations with similar political and economical values, cultures and social systems. The error, in my opinion, was in the decision to create a central international government within the EU. The original idea behind the EU was decentralisation of economy and politics, but that decision led to the opposite result.

That government then started enacting policies forced on all members, without the regard to the individual systems and national preferences. Furthermore, many of the newer members, such as Greece, Hungary or Poland, did not really share a lot of the values the other EU members did, and had extremely corrupt economical and political systems themselves. The Greek government, for example, used the EU donations aimed at helping it support crucial economical reforms to enrich the ruling elite and to suppress the free market by extremely tight regulations and property nationalisation - leading to a series of severe economical crises, and draining the coffers of all other members trying to help the failing economy. Hungary and Poland, on the other hand, are enjoying the assistance they receive from the EU and the investments from other EU members due to the cheap labor - but are not interested in returning the favor and opening their territory up to the arrivals from the rest of the Schengen zone.

A good idea was followed by extremely poor implementation. Similarly to the UN, the organisation evolved into standing for the values opposite to its original goals. And since the EU does not seem to be going to deviate from its current course any time soon, leaving it is naturally a reasonable choice.

I used to support EU due to its alleged dedication to the ideas of globalisation. But after some research, I found that really it was not about globalisation and, rather, about internationalism - a very different beast, appropriated from Leninism. Globalisation is about erasing borders between states; internationalism is about incorporating all states into one mega-state. Globalisation is inevitable and healthy; internationalism, on the other hand, is a death of freedom.
    Zombieguy1987
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    I live in the Republic of Ireland and no one knows what way it’s going to go , I was in conversation with one of the negotiators on the whole process who was called in to advise and he said he didn’t honestly know. People probably wonder how I met this guy I’m an artist and hang my paintings at an open air gallery every Sunday and this is where I met him.

One thing I can guarantee is that if a hard border goes back in that divides North and South all hell is going to break loose the whole peace process that took so long to put in place will come down like a house of cards , this was badly thought out and will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Nearly every person from Britain I’ve met over here ( we get them visiting in their droves most weeks ) has told me they don’t want it , I’ve only met one couple who were for it and I meet a lot weekly.