frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Who did more for USA: Hamilton or Jefferson

Debate Information

I started thinking more about this topic after revisiting the Hamilton musical. Both were great men, both were heads of political parties, and both were important in winning the revolutionary war. But who was more crucial, and did more to benefit the country. 
After putting in some thought I would have to side with Jefferson. Of course the declaration of independence was of huge importance. But I think his views were more inline with what the country was about.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6019 Pts   -  
    I read an interesting article recently. It essentially stated that Hamilton is to blame for everything that went wrong in the US law-making after the Independence War.

Basically, at the dawn of the American nation, there were two mainstream schools of thought: Jeffersonian and Hamiltonian. Jefferson saw the government as nothing more but the guarantor of constitutional rights. Hamilton, on the other hand, saw the government as a means to directly fix societal and economical issues. Jefferson advocated for a minimalist, strongly decentralised government; Hamilton advocated for a strong central government.

Hamilton's ideology was easier to follow, hence it won over in the end. Later Lincoln, Wilson and, finally, Roosevelt continued his ideas logically, and finally we got a large monster sucking life out of people and the economy in order to sustain itself.

Historians later compared Hamilton's views to those of the British crown, while Jefferson embodied the ideals of the American independence.
  • republicansrepublicans 8 Pts   -  
    First, let me say, I love the musical Hamilton! I think both Hamilton and Jefferson helped make America great so I can not say which one was the best.
    Rex
  • MattGouldMattGould 52 Pts   -  
    @jackcpacheco neither, I think John Adams had much more of an impact. He is by far the most underrated of the founding fathers and needs more attention for his contributions. 
    "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking...is freedom."-Dwight D. Eisenhower

"It is not strange...to mistake change for progress."-Millard Fillmore

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."-Ayn Rand

"To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable."-Barry Goldwater