frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

I lean forward, not left or right. Change my mind.

Debate Information

Can you change my mind? I am a centrist.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AiniAini 35 Pts   -  
    Ah, as a centrist in politics that should mean that your politics and views are somewhere in the middle of what is considered either "left" or "right."

Yet you claim you lean "forward," I take it this means that you are looking forward in to the future in your views as to what should be done in regarding politics and whatnot. However this is also the case with many people having an either "leftist" or "rightist" view.

And thus when U nitially claim that you are looking forward:

I lean forward, not left or right. Change my mind.

- that statement is false when presented in such a way that it appears exclusive to a "centrist" ideal since also many people from the left or right are "looking" forward. Atleast from their own perspective, but such is the case with u also.

Is it a little informal if i leave a smile face, i would like to do so at this time?
    : )
    PlaffelvohfenPHazeZeusAres42Haydn_E_Sheldon
    I'm a non-native speaker and if my text seems weird it's because i come from a different background, among other things.
  • PHazePHaze 12 Pts   -  
    Who needs to change your mind?  Centrist thought is an open-minded approach that both the left and the right are forced toward when both sides are heard and come to some accord.  I suspect that you do lean one way or another, though, but fancy yourself more moderate than most...and that "lean" may not even be all the way either left or right.  Perhaps you are Pro-life but don't have an objection to same-sex marriage.  Maybe you're a gun owner that is mortified by the thought of mandatory buybacks...

All of it is fine, provided that centrist philosophy is still respected and has some place in the discussion.  Compromise, after all, is not a bad word! 
    ZeusAres42
  • billbatardbillbatard 133 Pts   -  
    are we talking about sex or politics here?
    The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    Terms "left", "right" and "center" assume that there is some sort of a singular axis describing all major political ideologies. But there is none; there are as many axes as there are issues.

I am neither left nor right nor center nor up nor down. I want people to be free and wealthy, and the way to get there is to invest heavily in technological and scientific progress. And that means that the resources must be in the hands of private individuals who can generate new ideas and try new business models, not in the hands of bureaucrats who are too busy filling out ledgers to think about the big picture.

Instead of picking political camps, it makes more sense to pick a destination and go there on the road of your choosing. Do not squeeze your views into a one-dimensional box and, instead, appreciate the richness of the entire spectrum, take the best parts of it and dismiss the worst ones. But it is only possible to do so if you know what values you really stand for. And if you truly, genuinely stand for something that comes from deep within you, then chances are you will not fit anywhere on the mainstream political spectrum.
  • So in other words you're a Centrist that looks forward to future? Either that or you're equivocating being optimistic with being a Centrist. With that being said, I think being a Centrist is a very good position to take. And when I say Centrist I do not mean Centralist by the way.

• smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -   edited November 2019
    good because then you would have scoliosis
    why so serious?
  • So basically you prefer to play it safe full stop.
    The only time I lean forward is when I need to see something clearer.
    Left, Center, Right .........it only matters in the heat of the moment, the rest is just background noise.

Have a nice day cheers
    From Haydn.E.Sheldon
  • Interesting that you would lean forward instead of left or right. Maybe to look forward would be better to do instead of lean, that way you can see where and how you will fall.
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln