frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Does Reincarnation exist?

Debate Information

Reincarnation states that after a person dies, they can come back to life. Though this seems unlikely, I would like someone to convince me there is a hope for this to be a thing. So what do you guys think? Is there reincarnation, and if there is, would you want to take this?
ChangeMyViewMax_Air29northsouthkorea
  1. Live Poll

Does reincarnation exist?

10 votes
    1. Yes
      40.00%
    2. No
      60.00%
  2. Live Poll

If reincarnation does exist, what do you want to come back as?

10 votes
    1. Human
      70.00%
    2. Animal
      20.00%
    3. Nothing
      10.00%
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Argument

• ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @PowerPikachu21, let's give it one more shot.  If you elect for a random animal, valuing experiencing diversity then you are saying that animals have it as good humans.  You may also get reincorporate as a random creature or bug in a forest.  Life span, entertainment option, and etc are much worse in most cases for animals than humans.  There are predators that will like violently eat you, rape, hurt you.  There are no doctors, and in some cases fear of starvation.  Not much entertainment.  No hospitals.
    If you elect to be a wild animal then why don't you just move to the jungle now and live there for a while in a tribe somewhere..see how you like that.
    northsouthkorea1Hacker0
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @PowerPikachu21, you really beat me to it with posting that debate as per my other comment! Great!

I will take part 2 of your challenge - I will argue that if reincarnation exists you will be better off as a human vs animal.
     I will use something you can relate to..would you wan to be pikachu with more features or less features
    northsouthkorea
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • PowerPikachu21PowerPikachu21 213 Pts   -  
    @ale5 Yeah, after posting that comment, I went straight to this. But your analogy kind of seems to fail. If I wanted to be a Pikachu, I'd choose an actual Pikachu instead of one with 2 tails or no tail, as that's more natural. If the Pikachu has pink cheeks or has no ears, it isn't really a Pikachu: Just someone's OC.

But translating your analogy to real life. Aren't all animals different from humans? Spiders have 8 legs, snakes have no legs. Tigers have sharp teeth and cows have flat teeth. Birds fly, and fish swim. My opinion of being reincarnated is to experience all these styles; to see what it's like. To enjoy Earth to its fullest. Unless there's a huge advantage that humans have over animals (aside from technology, obviously), I think I'll be fine with my view.
    @ale5 It's foolish to think animals are as good as surviving as humans. Though I agree that it's terrifying out there, animals aren't helpless. Though I rarely hear of animals raping, getting attacked is a high chance, but some animals can defend themselves, some can flee easily, some don't have to worry too much because of camouflage. I do see where your fear is coming from, but unless the reincarnation process forces me into a defenseless animal, I assume I'll be fine. Though I'm 15 years old, and as this life, I'm going to just enjoy what humans have, and then see what it's like out there in another life. (I'll probably put your argument as "Persuaded", though. Definitely threw reality into me.)
    ChangeMyView
  • ChangeMyViewChangeMyView 61 Pts   -  
    @PowerPikachu21, wow, enjoy being human.  Much better than other options, good luck!  lol
    PowerPikachu21
    @ChangeMyView What are you meaning by that comment? Do you like humans? Would you rather be an animal? While I agree humanity is a lot of the time, it's nothing to suicide over. I'm 15 years old. [One huge advantage humans have is video games.]
  • ChangeMyViewChangeMyView 61 Pts   -  
    @PowerPikachu21, sorry about misunderstanding. I meant that you made the right choice being Human vs some random animal.
    I still want to reincarnate as an animal. Sure, it's a harder life, but like I said: Enjoy Earth to its fullest. Even if it means hiding from eagles.
    Max_Air29
  • RodinonRodinon 67 Pts   -  
    @ale5

ale5 said:
    @PowerPikachu21, let's give it one more shot.  If you elect for a random animal, valuing experiencing diversity then you are saying that animals have it as good humans.  You may also get reincorporate as a random creature or bug in a forest.  Life span, entertainment option, and etc are much worse in most cases for animals than humans.  There are predators that will like violently eat you, rape, hurt you.  There are no doctors, and in some cases fear of starvation.  Not much entertainment.  No hospitals.
    If you elect to be a wild animal then why don't you just move to the jungle now and live there for a while in a tribe somewhere..see how you like that.
    This actually sounds like the lives of most humans throughout history...
    PowerPikachu21
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    The question was. "Does reincarnation exist"
    Well!
    Does reincarnation exist is fundamentally, a grammatically incorrect statement.
    Therefore the answer to the question is emphatically no.
    I think the proposition should have been, does reincarnation occur.
    Nonetheless. From the outset the debate seems to have descended into a completely different discussion.
    That I to say. Is it better to be reincarnated as a different species of animal rather than the human species.

Does reincarnation occur?
    As a realist I would have to say no.
    This decision is primarily based on the nonsensical nature of the concept.
    But to add weight to my argument, I would suggest that the recurrent acts of conception necessary to facilitate reincarnation, are so utterly random.
    Therefore negating any possibility of the selection process, that reincarnation implies.

northsouthkorea
  • northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    @Fredsnephew, I agree with your argument.
  • JudaismJudaism 180 Pts   -  
    @PowerPikachu21

I love your response! It's priceless!!!
  • JudaismJudaism 180 Pts   -  
    According to Judaism, yes, reincarnation is a thing. Whether you can be an animal or not. . . well. . . many a rabbi has debated that before. We're just not sure. It certainly wouldn't help you correct past sins.
  • Reincarnation has no scientific proof but if you see in almost all the religious books, it has found it's place. It is true in fact that soul exists beyond the physical realm and is immortal. Therefore it is indeed possible and likely probable that reincarnation is true. Take the example of the founder of Ferrari and Mesut Ozil you can check that on google. I am not sayin that's incarnation but it's not normal either.
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    "It is true in fact that the soul exists beyond the physical realm and is immortal" @AbhigyanShanker ;

Wow. That's one heck of a definitive statement!

What unequivocal proof do you have to back up this assertion?.

I would suggest that this assertion was made in blind faith.

As for religious books; at best these should be regarded as pseudo-theory, founded chiefly on assumption and wishful thinking.

So. Mesut Ozil resembles the young Enzo Ferrari. What's extraordinary about that?

Having a doppelganger is not an uncommon occurrence. 

Ozil and Ferrari are well known characters and are therefore constantly in the public eye. This does not make their similarity any more special.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    There are two types of reincarnation possible.
    1. Reincarnation leaving memories from the past incarnations.
    2. Reincarnation erasing all memories from the past incarnations.
    The former could be scientifically verified or reasonably proven wrong; the latter has more philosophical meaning than the physical one. The former contradicts what we know about living organisms and basic physics; the latter can be either right or wrong, but with no observable consequences either way.

Personally, I like (I do not believe, but I like) the idea where in between different incarnations we teleport to some abstract space, where we are given a choice on the next incarnation. In that space, you remember all of your past incarnations. So you can think, "Okay, let us see... I have been a president of the US, a citizen of North Korea, a dolphin from 40 million years ago, a microbe from 2 billion years ago, and a weird spider-like thing from the Andromeda galaxy. Let us spice things up: I want to be that artificial intelligence in the Phoenix Cluster!" Then your consciousness teleports into that AI's hardware, you assume its memories and live its experiences (forgetting everything else about your past), until it dies. 

It is a crazy model, but it would make for an interesting sci-fi story!