frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should Women Be Required to Register for the Draft?

Debate Information

Why shouldn’t they?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BrandyKnightBrandyKnight 62 Pts   -  
    @TruthSearcher ; If we are to believe transgender activists, then the answer is a resounding yes. 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    I do not believe anyone should be forced to register for the draft; being drafted into military against one's will is a gross violation of the most basic human rights. I can somewhat understand draft existing in countries like Taiwan, South Korea or Israel, where having a military-trained population is vital in order to deter the vicious enemies nearby - but it makes no sense for draft to exist on peaceful territories like Switzerland or the mainland US.

That said, if men have to register for it and that is to remain unchanged, then, for the sake of equality, women should as well. Perhaps they can be drafted to be nurses, cooks, etc., in case they do not have the strength to perform regular military duties - same goes for men who are below the expected physical standards. Obviously an exception can be made for pregnant women and women raising small kids.
    Blastcat
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    No, and it shouldn't be required for men either.

A draft is a massive imposition on people's rights and if it's that imperative to recruit more the government should deal with it by raising the salary and other bonuses for enlistment to get more recruits. If that doesn't work then enough people don't agree with the basis of the war to sustain it, so the war doesn't seem worth fighting.
    Blastcat
  • @ampersand what country are you from?
  • Really? Thought for sure that this would generate more discussion.
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Sure, I have no problem with a 2 year mandatory service for every able young adult with no discrimination based on sex.  These draftees should not be deployed in theaters of war outside the US without consent but be used at home for community service and disaster relief efforts. There are many good reason for something like this... 
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Sure, I have no problem with a 2 year mandatory service for every able young adult with no discrimination based on sex.  These draftees should not be deployed in theaters of war outside the US without consent but be used at home for community service and disaster relief efforts. There are many good reason for something like this... 
    The only issue with your proposal is that the Military service is in the War-Fighting business...there is no community service or disaster relief assignments for the overwhelmingly vast majority of the U.S. Military.  The National Guard is what you might be referring to but the Guard makes up a tiny fraction of a fraction of the total U.S. Military Service Members.  

I personally think mandatory conscription of two years is generous and would serve most of our youth well, the issue is trying to reconcile the "War fighting business" with "You don't have to deploy to war if you don't want to".  The two don't mix and there's a reason why deployment is compulsory.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

@Vaulk

And why don't the two mix?
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen

The War fighting business doesn't mix with the ideology that "You can decide whether or not you want to fight for your country" don't mix for the same reason the Firefighting business doesn't mix with the ideology of "You don't have to fight that fire if you don't want to".

The two are diametrically opposed.  Imagine a Doctor who periodically throughout his rounds decides that he doesn't really like treating certain patients who appear to be dying or close to death.  His career would be short lived to say the least.

Imagine a Police Officer who decides at regular intervals that "I don't really want to respond to that call, it sounds dangerous".  He wouldn't be a Cop for long.

The same applies to the Military, they are War Fighters.  Their business is to train continuously for War and, when called upon, to wage War against our enemies.  Allowing them to simply decide "Nah, sounds dangerous, I'll stay here and volunteer at the YMCA" would not only serve against our total combat strength but would destroy Morale within each unit to the point that...well..."If he doesn't have to go risk his life, why should I"?
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

@Vaulk

I'm asking because it does work in some countries... Why assume there's a need to draft into regular forces? Mandatory service in the national guards would be just as good imo...
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen ;

The National Guard has several responsibilities and while one of them is indeed the response to natural disaster and other crisis' within the confines of the United States' borders...they are also on call to deploy alongside the Active Duty Military in times of need.  This is what happened in the Iraq/Afghanistan Wars, the National Guard was called to aide the Active Duty Military because the number of Service Members on Active Duty was insufficient to fight the War.  Setting aside the politics of why and whether or not it was the right thing to do, this was a case of the National Guard being utilized correctly and so in this case...the National Guard also wouldn't work for the ideology of "You don't have to fight if you don't want to".
    Plaffelvohfen

• A draft only enacted in a time of war when bodies are needed should not discriminate based on sex or race.
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln