frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

There are many things in life that require an ID. Why are Democrats against it when voting?

Debate Information

Have you noticed how seldom the Democrat Party worries about people having to present their Id's when it comes to Income taxes, buying homes, buying guns, going to school, getting jobs, getting our driver's license, getting a hunting license, investing, getting insurance, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

BUT, when it comes to electing the President of our nation, Democrats scream NO ID NEEDED! Ask yourself why! Why is it that for something as important as electing our President, Democrats all of a sudden get angry if we are required to present our ID. As with all things, they call it racist to ask for an ID.
LOL, these people need to get some new material. It's embarrassing.

There can be but a couple reasons for the Left's opposition to showing an ID when voting, and you know what they are. The life blood of Democrat elections revolves around pandering to certain identities. Whether it be minorities, illegal immigrants, those living on Government assistance, etc., the Democrat Party will do anything to assure their votes even if they are not citizens. If a person is required to present his ID, it would also be very difficult for him to vote more than once.

All Americans should applaud laws that help keep our elections secure and honest.

PlaffelvohfenxlJ_dolphin_473

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    It is time you guys finally modified your election system from this 18th century paper stuff. Voting should be as easy as logging into your DMV account and clicking a couple of buttons. Filling out papers and dropping them in urns in the year 2020, really? Come on now.

Look at what Estonia does, where over a third of the population now vote electronically. They insert their ID card into a reader and cast a vote within several minutes. That is it.

As long as you have 18th century bureaucratic systems, you will have 18th century bureaucratic problems. I personally do not see any problem with needing an ID for voting, considering that you vote for the same government that has issued you an ID - but that should not even be a question. You should be able to vote by pressing a button on your phone, and your vote should be displayed on an electronic database, where you can quickly spot a problem in case it exists and report it.
    PlaffelvohfensmoothieAlofRIBlastcat
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    In principle it is a good thing, but I wonder, in the US is voting a constitutional right or a privilege?
    ZeusAres42
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • In principle it is a good thing, but I wonder, in the US is voting a constitutional right or a privilege?

@Plaffelvohfen I don't know about you but I sometimes find their voting system somewhat confusing. Also, at the moment I can't see why people even bother to vote anyway since it seems their vote doesn't matter at the end of the day. As it will be down to the electoral college that decides in the end.
    PlaffelvohfenCYDdharta

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  

@Plaffelvohfen I don't know about you but I sometimes find their voting system somewhat confusing. Also, at the moment I can't see why people even bother to vote anyway since it seems their vote doesn't matter at the end of the day. As it will be down to the electoral college that decides in the end.

The electoral college votes based on the popular vote of each state.
    ZeusAres42Blastcat
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

First, your vote is very unlikely to make any difference in any system. In fact, in the US it actually has a higher chance of doing so, as the voting occurs on a regional level, with small populations; in a more direct democracy like, say, in Switzerland one vote is meaningless, as it is thrown in the pool of millions other votes indiscriminately.

Second, it is very uncommon for electoral college members to vote against their state's popular vote results; in fact, many states have regulations heavily penalizing them for doing so. I do not think it right, as it defeats the entire purpose of having it there, but that is how the system works.

The system is not very confusing; it is clearer than most other Western democratic systems, where the whole party coalition play is a thing, and the election results can effectively be bypassed by clever political games in the aftermath. At least, here in the US the winner is the winner.
    It is another thing that we could use more viable parties. Having two giants divide everything between themselves, with two tiny quasi-competitors puling away tiny fractions of votes from them, is no bueno. Then, again, coalitions could undermine the purpose.

Democracy was called by someone "a terrible system, unfortunately being better than all other systems" for a reason. It never works as intended, and common people quickly become pawns in games of large power groups. It is better than having a completely untamed authoritarianism, sure, but it is still a far cry from the beauty so many people want it to be.
    Blastcat
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    In principle it is a good thing, but I wonder, in the US is voting a constitutional right or a privilege?

Well, the electoral college has its pro & cons, wouldn't call it confusing. Primaries and caucuses are a mess though... Open, closed, primary vs caucuses, delegates, supers delegates, over 5 months... I mean, ??

My question remains, and it's a very important one regarding the question of voter ID, is voting a right or a privilege in the US?
    ZeusAres42
  • We_are_accountableWe_are_accountable 1147 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen

Your question makes no sense since all legal citizens have the right to vote. It matters not how much money you have or your status in life. We Americans can all vote. What person would not have an ID if he is a legal citizen?
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    @We_are_accountable

My question was indeed regarding only legal US citizens, so for those legal citizens, you're saying it's a right and not a privilege, correct? Because the constitutional status of the vote (right or privilege) will be a determining factor in what I could say next regarding your original question...

If voting is indeed a constitutional, fundamental and unalienable right for every legal american citizen, and not just a privilege, then it falls on the government to provide the means and access to vote and insure that they can freely exercise that right... It's not the case in many states (looking at you Texas... https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

If a legal citizen can provide any form of identification, say a driver license, or his/her social security number or US passport, regardless of which state you live in it should be enough... The fact that different states have different laws regarding which ID is valid, would tend to show that voting is a state privilege and not a constitutional right in the US... A federally issued ID like social security number, should be the only ID required everywhere in the US... The process of provisional ballot should be fast and easy in case you can't provide ID (If you were robbed that morning for exemple) it should not impede your right to vote at all, the process in those instances should be hassle free, it's often not the case...

In principle, it should fall on the government to prove you do not have the right to vote or are not eligible, not the other way around... Right to life, right to free speech, etc, are all assumed a priori, because they are rights not privileges, the same should be said of the right to vote, if it is indeed a right...
    AlofRIZeusAres42
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I, as a former Independent, now a Democrat because there is no longer another party I wish to choose from, have never voted without having to show my ID. I would not want to vote anywhere that one didn't HAVE to show one because voting would be meaningless. ANYONE could vote several times. Only a very person would even think about wanting to vote WITHOUT an ID. Only a person would think anyone would be against a voting ID. This is one of the stupidest posts imaginable! It is only intended to make one side LOOK to people enough to believe the person that posted it for reasons! Don't be . :angry:
    I, as a former Independent, now a Democrat because there is no longer another party I wish to choose from, have never voted without having to show my ID. I would not want to vote anywhere that one didn't HAVE to show one because voting would be meaningless. ANYONE could vote several times. Only a very person would even think about wanting to vote WITHOUT an ID. Only a person would think anyone would be against a voting ID. This is one of the stupidest posts imaginable! It is only intended to make one side LOOK to people enough to believe the person that posted it for reasons! Don't be . :angry:
    @Plaffelvohfen

Your question makes no sense since all legal citizens have the right to vote. It matters not how much money you have or your status in life. We Americans can all vote. What person would not have an ID if he is a legal citizen?

There are "citizens" whose records have been destroyed by fire, by tornado, by flood, etc. That have been citizens for YEARS. Certain of these people have been "allowed" to vote, certain others have not been allowed the same courtesy ... conveniently, by the same party. Phony restrictions have been put on them. A Democratic country would do some reasonable checks and allow them to vote. A bananna "Republic", on the other hand, would NOT! WE are fast becoming (under Trumpism), a bannana republic! :rage:
    PlaffelvohfenWe_are_accountablexlJ_dolphin_473
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    I think there should be a new vote-specific system called a ‘Vote ID’ which you must present when you want to vote for anything. A vote ID is a nine-digit code, which you enter on a voting tablet upon arrival. Then, your name will show up on the screen, and you will be asked to confirm it is you. To do this, you touch your fingerprint to the Home button. If it matches, the different political candidates will show up on the screen, and you press the one you want. If you want to change your mind, then you can come back later in the day and repeat the process again.
    Non-citizens can apply for a Vote ID. Their application will be reviewed by the Government. If it is accepted, they will be emailed their Vote ID code.
    It sounds like a good system to me. Any objections?
    P.S. The penalty for using someone else’s Vote ID is 10 years in prison, by which point the vote will no longer count.
    Plaffelvohfen