frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is the Christian God evil? Or any God that is worshipped and is said to be all-powerful?

2»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    @Pogue in time you will see that nothing is omnipotent, infinity is an illusion.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue in time you will see that nothing is omnipotent, infinity is an illusion.
    I know that, But in Christianity, he is omnipotent. 
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    @Pogue But the omnipotence they refer to is...
    I am not going to recycle this. You obviously understand my case and have agreed.
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Pogue But the omnipotence they refer to is...
    I am not going to recycle this. You obviously understand my case and have agreed.
    What is your case? What have I agreed with? I agreed that there is no being that is omnipotent. That is all. 
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -  
    @someone234

Kharma is a herticial concept from the perspective of the Bible. Not only is it not true, but something every Christian should actively reject.
    Pogue
  • with_all_humilitywith_all_humility 222 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    Is God evil? Or any God that is worshipped and is said to be all-powerful? Why would he create evil? Does this make him evil?

In reference to the God of the Bible, it is a flawed question and because of a lack of knowledge of what the bible says about God and evil. I will show where evil comes from, how God views evil/sin and how God deals with evil.

Sometimes what we see as evil, is actually good. Example: Towards the end of Genesis Joseph is reunited with his brothers who years before conspired to get rid of him out of jealousy.  So, they kidnaped Joseph and sold him into Egyptian slavery.  As a result, Joseph goes through many ups and downs in his life, but he is a devoted a man God.  God watches over Joseph but allows bad things to happen to him.  In the end Joseph becomes the 2nd most powerful man in Egypt and get reunited with his family. Here are a few verses to show Joseph’s understanding of who God was and why allows bad things to happen.

•  Gen 50:18-21: Then his brothers also went and fell down before his face, and they said, "Behold, we are your servants." Joseph said to them, "Do not be afraid, for am I in the place of God? But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive. Now, therefore, do not be afraid; I will provide for you and your little ones." And he comforted them and spoke kindly to them...”[1]

The story of Job:  Job was a devout man of God, so much that was told Satan to notice of Job. Let’s look at the interaction between God and Satan concerning Job.

•  Job 1:6-12: Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.  And the LORD said to Satan, "From where do you come?" So, Satan answered the LORD and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it."  Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered My Servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?"  So, Satan answered the LORD and said, "Does Job fear God for nothing?  Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.  But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!" And the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person."  So, Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.[2]

So, what we see has Satan doubted the faithfulness of Job since he was richly blessed with a good life and riches. God, did not doubt Job loyalty and all Satan to do whatever he wanted, he could just not lay a hand on Job.  Needless to say, it’s a good read, if a man ever experienced evil it was Job, he became diseased, all his family was made to die, his friends turned on Job, he lost everything that he had. But he never cursed God, Job always praised God and knew there was a purpose for the things that happened to him.  In the end, Satan concedes to God that Job was the man God said he was and we see in at the end of the book of Job.

•  Job 42:10-12: And the LORD restored Job's losses when he prayed for his friends. Indeed, the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.  Then all his brothers, all his sisters, and all those who had been his acquaintances before came to him and ate food with him in his house; and they consoled him and comforted him for all the adversity that the LORD had brought upon him. Each one gave him a piece of silver and each a ring of gold.  Now the LORD blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning.[3]

Paul in his letter to the church in Rome identity’s man as being the creator of evil.  Paul states that people who practice such things as listed are deserving of death, this is a spiritual death, not a physical death.

•  Romans 1.28-29:  And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.[4]

In the book of James, we’re told that God does not tempt anyone with evil, let alone entice a person.  God can have not association with evil, nor cause anyone to do evil.  James concludes that it is through our own thoughts and minds that bring about temptation. So often when the desire for evil things, brings about sin and the one who sins becomes spiritually dead.

•  Jas 1:13-15:  Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.  Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.[5]

In John’s epistle to perhaps the church in Alexandria gives a little bit of wisdom, but also reinforces that God can have not association with evil. 

•  3Jn 1:11:  Beloved, do not imitate what is evil, but what is good. He who does good is of God, but he who does evil has not seen God.[6]  

In the Old Testament (OT) we can get an understanding of how God works and deals with evil, wickedness, and sin.  The three are the same.  In a vision, God had delivered a message to Ezekiel and he was to go and warn Israel, we find….

•  In Eze 18:4-6:  "Behold, all souls are Mine; The soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine; The soul who sins shall die. But if a man is just and does what is lawful and right; If he has not eaten on the mountains, nor lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, nor defiled his neighbor's wife, nor approached a woman during her impurity;[7]

Ezekiel list some evil things that the Israelites had been doing, worshipping false gods, sleeping with other men’s lives.  In verses 7-8 he starts contrasting wicked deeds with good deeds. Then he reveals why he is telling of these things.

Eze 18.8b-9: But has withdrawn his hand from iniquity and executed true judgment between man and man; If he has walked in My statutes—And kept My judgments faithfully—He is just; He shall surely live!" Says the Lord GOD.[7]

God has sent a message warning Israel to stop doing evil things and start doing that which was commanded in the Law of Moses that they would live. Then he continues in verse 10 to tell of men who have sons who do wicked deeds, even though the son's father never done such deeds.

•  Eze 18.10-11a:  "If he fathers a son who is violent, a shedder of blood, who does any of these things, (though he himself did none of these things) … v13:  lends at interest, and takes a profit; shall he then live? He shall not live. He has done all these abominations; he shall surely die; his blood shall be upon himself.[7]

Ezekiel now identifies why Israel was becoming wick. Although the fathers of the children knew what to do to keep God’s laws they did not disciple their children and their children departed from the law of God and began behaving like the wicked nations around them.  But notice God is going to hold the fathers responsible for their son’s actions.  Next, we see how God views when the father does evil and the son does not.

•  Eze 18.14:  "Now suppose this man fathers a son who sees all the sins that his father has done; he sees and does not do likewise: … v17 withholds his hand from iniquity, takes no interest or profit, obeys my rules, and walks in my statutes; he shall not die for his father's iniquity; he shall surely live.[7]

In verse 14-17 we find out that while a father will be held responsible for how he raises his son. But the son is not responsible for the wickedness of his parents and God will not punish him.  Now, during the time of the time of the OT, the punishment for disobedience was physical punishment.  This was done so that mankind would know that God was serious about keeping His law.  

•  In verses 21-23…The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffers for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself. "But if a wicked person turns away from all his sins that he has committed and keeps all my statutes and does what is just and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die.  None of the transgressions that he has committed shall be remembered against him; for the righteousness that he has done, he shall live. Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?[8]

In verse 21-23 we find out an important attribute of God. He only punishes those who commit the evil or wickedness. However, if a person stops being wicked and obeys God’s laws, God will forgive them, and they will not suffer punishment.  In v23 Ezekiel ask a rhetorical question, because he knows people will accuse God of being mean and wicked (Sound familiar, have any of you made such claims) but it is evident that God want’s mankind to live (spiritually) and for the people of the time as well God did not want to punish Israel by allowing them to be put into captivity.  At the end of the chapter, we find that God makes a final plea through Ezekiel, for Israel (mankind) to stop doing evil, sinful deeds and just turn to God. Because God does not want to see anyone die, there is no pleasure in it. However, God has standards/laws and He has to punish those who break them.   

• Eze 18.31-32:  Cast away from you all the transgressions that you have committed and make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! Why will you die, O house of Israel?  For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Lord GOD; so, turn, and live."[8]

I have shown that God is not evil, in fact, God can have not association with evil. Evil is brought about by mankind’s own desires and actions.  For the most part, the Bible does not, for the most part, say Satan is evil, Satan is the great tempter and has pleasure in seeing man commit evil.  However, even with all the evil that man commits. God will forgive man as long as man stops doing corrupt and wicked things and does what God ask of man.  Then man will not die but have everlasting life.

[1] The New King James Version. (1982). (Ge 50:18–21). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

[2]The New King James Version. (1982). (Job 1:6–12). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

[3] The New King James Version. (1982). (Job 42:10–12). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

[4] The New King James Version. (1982). (Rom 1.28-29). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

[5] The New King James Version. (1982). (Jas 1.13-15). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

[6] The New King James Version. (1982). (3Jn 1.11). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

[7] The New King James Version. (1982). (Eze 18.1-23). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

[8] The New King James Version. (1982). (Eze 18.21-32). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

EmeryPearson
    @with_all_humility

"If you're referring to the God of the Bible, you have a flawed question and you don't know what the bible says about God and evil. I will share with you where evil comes from, how God views evil/sin and how God deals with evil."

We do not define your deity, you do. You chose to define your deity through the Bible.

"Sometimes what we see as evil, is actually good. Example: Towards the end of Genesis Joseph is reunited with his brothers who years before conspired to get rid of him out of jealousy.  So, they kidnaped Joseph and sold him into Egyptian slavery.  As a result, Joseph goes through many ups and downs in his life, but he is a devoted a man God.  God watches over Joseph but allows bad things to happen to him.  In the end Joseph becomes the 2nd most powerful man in Egypt and get reunited with his family. Here are a few verses to show Joseph’s understanding of who God was and why allows bad things to happen."

This is fallacious. Even if true, you propose that good outcomes negate evil actions. 

"
     So, what we see has Satan doubted the faithfulness of Job since he was richly blessed with a good life and riches. God, did not doubt Job loyalty and all Satan to do whatever he wanted, he could just not lay a hand on Job.  Needless to say, it’s a good read, if a man ever experienced evil it was Job, he became diseased, all his family was made to die, his friends turned on Job, he lost everything that he had. But he never cursed God, Job always praised God and knew there was a purpose for the things that happened to him.  In the end, Satan concedes to God that Job was the man God said he was and we see in at the end of the book of Job."

This is an example of evil. God, if Omnipotent, would already know the outcome of said tests, making it unnecessary unless it was to convince Satan at Job's expense.

"
     In the book of James, we’re told that God does not tempt anyone with evil, let alone entice a person.  God can have not association with evil, nor cause anyone to do evil.  James concludes that it is through our own thoughts and minds that bring about temptation. So often when the desire for evil things, brings about sin and the one who sins becomes spiritually dead."

This conflicts with the story of Job. God was tempted by Satan into allowing him to commit evil against Job. 

" In John’s epistle to perhaps the church in Alexandria gives a little bit of wisdom, but also reinforces that God can have not association with evil. "

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things" - Isaiah 45:7

God created evil, he therefore is associated with it. This is only deniable through cherry-picking, forming your own personal view of the Christian Deity.
    with_all_humility
  • with_all_humilitywith_all_humility 222 Pts   -  
    We do not define your deity, you do. You chose to define your deity through the Bible.
    • Yes, I did, I was defining my terms. 
    This is fallacious. Even if true, you propose that good outcomes negate evil actions. 
    • It is not fallacious and can be proven without referencing God.  I also did not say it negated the evil, terror or whatever have you.  What I am stating is we learn through our experiences. Every situation you experience is defined based on how you perceive the experience, and that's how you determine if the experience was good or bad.  Because we all have a different perception what one sees as bad may be perceived by another as a good experience.  So, instead of blaming "God" for evil, what we might call "evil" may have been a vital learning experience which is good or positive.
    This is an example of evil. God, if Omnipotent, would already know the outcome of said tests, making it unnecessary unless it was to convince Satan at Job's expense.
    • You're making an assumption that an Omnipotent deity want's to know everything.  Just because God can know, does not mean He chooses to know.  Example: What is more exciting (to most people), knowing what is inside the box of a birthday present or being surprised by the anticipation of the unknown?  I believe most people like to receive gifts based on the unknown because it is more exciting thus more pleasing (release of dopamine and possibly endorphins). 
    • So one really can't assume/know what God is thinking
    This conflicts with the story of Job. God was tempted by Satan into allowing him to commit evil against Job.
    • No, it is not in conflict with Job. Go back and see how the conversation between Satan and God stated.  It was God who asked Satan what he thought of Job and Satan did not believe in Job's faithfulness as God claimed. Satan said it was because Job was protected by God and that Job was fearful of God.  But in fact, Job really did love God so much that he would not succumb to cursing God just because of misfortune.  As a lot of people like to do, proof of that is this debate we're having.
    • The story of Job is a story of perseverance and an illustration of no matter what happens to us; we can keep our trust in God because He does what He says.  It is also an illustration of Satan can only tempt a person from away from God, not snatch away. Only, way we can succumb is if the person allows it.
    • James, on the other hand, is telling us a parallel to Job's trials.  Look again at James 1.12: Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. Just like in Job who was doing the tempting, it was Satan.  James is warning us not to blame God if we come under temptation.  If you recall, Satan is the great tempter, the serpent of old (Rev 20.2).  In fact, James is encouraging us to be like Job although Job's name is not mentioned.  James also reveals why a man like Job never gave into temptation.  It's because he did not desire to do wrong.  Every sin comes from the birth of a desire in our brain. 
    • As far as being tempted Paul says this in 1Co 10:13:  No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation, he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
    • So, what the bible is teaching, is that we only succumb to temptation if we have a desire for what we are being tempted with.  With every temptation that comes our way, God does not allow us to be tempted beyond our means, and for every situation, He provides a way out.
    • We just have to look for the way out and not desire anything that is sinful/evil.
    "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things" - Isaiah 45:7
    • This is a fallacy, your cherry-picking a verse out of context and never validated what it was actually saying. You also used the KJV that translated back in 1611, and last updated in 1885. While a good translation for it's time and still has some uses today. It uses words that we really don't associate with today English. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version ;
    • Now, you have to be careful with Isaiah.  He was a messianic prophet, meaning he foretold the coming of Jesus. A lot of what is recorded in Isaiah is figurative language, just the book of Daniel.  The book of Revelation is very figurative as well, but it is considered apocalyptic language it is not meant to be taken literally.  So let's look at Isaiah 45.7
    • If you goto the beginning of the chapter and start reading, we find "to Cyrus, whose right hand I have grasped, to subdue nations before him and to lose the belts of kings" It's also good to know the time period we are in, which is about 150 years before the Babylonian empire comes in and conquers the nation of Israel, taking them into captivity.  What the reference here to Cyrus is that through God's providence King Cyrus was going to take out some evil kings.  It is not saying Cyrus is of piety or a demigod.  God is just going to allow Cyrus to win a few wars, in order to do some "corporal punishment" to a few evil kings.
    • Without boring you with an in-depth description of the rest of the verse, in short, God is warning Israel to get their act together, or the will be punished
    • v45.7: I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.(NKJV)
    • God is just reminding Israel here in prophetic language that He has control over everything. Notice the New King James Version uses the word calamity
    • Albert Barnes a 19th Century Scholar states this concerning the phrase; And create evil - The parallelism here shows that this is not to be understood in the sense of all evil, but of that which is the opposite of peace and prosperity. That is, God directs judgments, disappointments, trials, and calamities; he has the power to suffer the mad passions of people to rage, and to afflict nations with war; he presides over adverse as well as prosperous events. The passage does not prove that God is the author of moral evil or sin, and such a sentiment is abhorrent to the general strain of the Bible, and to all just views of the character of a holy God.[1]
    • So like I said at the begin, the original argument or example is a fallacy.  One has to be careful of taking a verse out of context.  A little saying goes like this "A verse out of context - is a pretext" Pretext being a reason given in justification of a course of action that is not the real reason.
    • I've also attached a photo of a bible sense lexicon, to help you see the translation from Hebrew. [2]
    • Here is the original Hebrew word & meaning.  7451.  רַע raʿ, rah; from 7489; bad or (as noun) evil (nat. or mor.):—adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, + displease (-ure), distress,[3]

God created evil, he, therefore, is associated with it. This is only deniable through cherry-picking, forming your own personal view of the Christian Deity.

• This is a straw-man argument based on a pretext, I have shown the context and provided supporting evidence to prove the verse does not say God created evil as in sin/immorality.  Mankind is the author of evil.

[1] https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/bnb/isaiah-45.html ;
    [2] Faithlife Corporation. (2018). calamity (event) (Version 7.13) [Computer software]. Logos Bible Software Bible Sense Lexicon. Bellingham, WA: Faithlife Corporation. Retrieved from https://ref.ly/logos4/Senses?KeyId=ws.calamity.n.01 ;
    [3] Strong, J. (2009). A Concise Dictionary of the Words in the Greek Testament and The Hebrew Bible (Vol. 2, p. 109). Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.

@EmeryPearson
    someone234EmeryPearson
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @with_all_humility

If you claim the God of Christianity is good and you use the standard responses from a Christians point of view as valid then the opposite is equally valid and to deny such is to embrace absurdity , let’s look at the standard position as put forward by Christians , 

Good God allows evil to exist only so that the greater good may be achieved 
    Good God likes good best when we freely choose it , but allowing us free will means that some people may choose evil 
    Good God works in mysterious ways 

Evil God allows good to exist only so that greater evil may be achieved
    Evil God likes evil best when we freely choose it, but allowing us free will means that some people may choose good
    Evil God works in mysterious ways
    EmeryPearsonwith_all_humility
  • with_all_humilitywith_all_humility 222 Pts   -  
    @Dee

I'm not familiar with those arguments you say Christians use to establish God as being good.  If that is true, then those statements are from Christians who do not understand or know much about the Bible.  Because the Bible does not establish such claims. I will admit probably the majority of people who claim to Christian do not know the Bible, they go out and regurgitate some false doctrine they heard someone preach, or if it sounds doctrine they still regurgitate it.  That's why most will tuck their tails and run away.  Back to your argument. 

You are trying to establish as "If this - then that" argument.  What you have failed to recognize is God sovereignty.  In the Old Testament, it does not say or claim that Satan is evil.  What is evil in the Bible are the actions of man.  It is through the sin of man that evil came about and exist.  Mankind is not mere robots but free moral agents. Now God does define what is a sin, but that does make Him a sinner.

If husband and wife have a child, and one day the child goes out and kills someone.  Have the parents committed murder?
    EmeryPearson
    @with_all_humility

"It is not fallacious and can be proven without referencing God. I also did not say it negated the evil, terror or whatever have you. What I am stating is we learn through our experiences. Every situation you experience is defined based on how you perceive the experience, and that's how you determine if the experience was good or bad. Because we all have a different perception what one sees as bad may be perceived by another as a good experience. So, instead of blaming "God" for evil, what we might call "evil" may have been a vital learning experience which is good or positive."

No, this is still fallacious. Evil intent nor actions is not negated by good outcomes. Not without prior knowledge of said outcomes.

"You're making an assumption that an Omnipotent deity want's to know everything. Just because God can know, does not mean He chooses to know. Example: What is more exciting (to most people), knowing what is inside the box of a birthday present or being surprised by the anticipation of the unknown? I believe most people like to receive gifts based on the unknown because it is more exciting thus more pleasing (release of dopamine and possibly endorphins)."

This is irrelevant, if you are Omnipotent, you do know everything. If you do not know everything, you are not Omnipotent.

"So one really can't assume/know what God is thinking"

But you can assume to know what God knows, which is everything. The known, unknown, and unknowable.

"No, it is not in conflict with Job. Go back and see how the conversation between Satan and God stated. It was God who asked Satan what he thought of Job and Satan did not believe in Job's faithfulness as God claimed. Satan said it was because Job was protected by God and that Job was fearful of God. But in fact, Job really did love God so much that he would not succumb to cursing God just because of misfortune. As a lot of people like to do, proof of that is this debate we're having."

This is irrelevant, as God knows the outcome of the test. There is no need for it to take place.

"The story of Job is a story of perseverance and an illustration of no matter what happens to us; we can keep our trust in God because He does what He says. It is also an illustration of Satan can only tempt a person from away from God, not snatch away. Only, way we can succumb is if the person allows it."

This is irrelevant, as God knew the outcome of the test prior to it occuring.

"James, on the other hand, is telling us a parallel to Job's trials. Look again at James 1.12: Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. Just like in Job who was doing the tempting, it was Satan. James is warning us not to blame God if we come under temptation. If you recall, Satan is the great tempter, the serpent of old (Rev 20.2). In fact, James is encouraging us to be like Job although Job's name is not mentioned. James also reveals why a man like Job never gave into temptation. It's because he did not desire to do wrong. Every sin comes from the birth of a desire in our brain."

It was Satan doing the tempting, he tempted God into allowing him to commit evil upon Job. Even though God already knew the outcome of the test. As Satan did not know the outcome of the test, it was committed to prove to another. (Satan)

"As far as being tempted Paul says this in 1Co 10:13: No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation, he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

Irrelevant. 

"So, what the bible is teaching, is that we only succumb to temptation if we have a desire for what we are being tempted with. With every temptation that comes our way, God does not allow us to be tempted beyond our means, and for every situation, He provides a way out."

This is your interpretation of said Bible. As far as I can see, it's not logical congruent if your Deity is Omnipotent.

"We just have to look for the way out and not desire anything that is sinful/evil."

Irrelevant. 

"This is a fallacy, your cherry-picking a verse out of context and never validated what it was actually saying. You also used the KJV that translated back in 1611, and last updated in 1885. While a good translation for it's time and still has some uses today. It uses words that we really don't associate with today English. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version ;"

This is irrelevant, as you define your deity by the Bible, not I. If you define it by a specific version or translation, you need to specify. The Bible directly states God created evil. Unless you use an alternate version, this still stands.

"Now, you have to be careful with Isaiah. He was a messianic prophet, meaning he foretold the coming of Jesus. A lot of what is recorded in Isaiah is figurative language, just the book of Daniel. The book of Revelation is very figurative as well, but it is considered apocalyptic language it is not meant to be taken literally. So let's look at Isaiah 45.7"

This is personal interpretation. This would render the bible fallible, as direct statements such as "God Created Evil" can be interpreted as other than their direct meaning.

"If you goto the beginning of the chapter and start reading, we find "to Cyrus, whose right hand I have grasped, to subdue nations before him and to lose the belts of kings" It's also good to know the time period we are in, which is about 150 years before the Babylonian empire comes in and conquers the nation of Israel, taking them into captivity. What the reference here to Cyrus is that through God's providence King Cyrus was going to take out some evil kings. It is not saying Cyrus is of piety or a demigod. God is just going to allow Cyrus to win a few wars, in order to do some "corporal punishment" to a few evil kings."

Then this is also an example of evil, as war results in the pain, suffering, and injustice of either innocent or guilty. At best, this is allowing lesser evil, for greater good. Which is not the same.

"Without boring you with an in-depth description of the rest of the verse, in short, God is warning Israel to get their act together, or the will be punished"

God was already aware of the outcome pre, and post warning. Making it unnecessary. 

"v45.7: I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.(NKJV)"
    "God is just reminding Israel here in prophetic language that He has control over everything. Notice the New King James Version uses the word calamity"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/calamity

This does not imply he does not commit evil.

"Albert Barnes a 19th Century Scholar states this concerning the phrase; And create evil - The parallelism here shows that this is not to be understood in the sense of all evil, but of that which is the opposite of peace and prosperity. That is, God directs judgments, disappointments, trials, and calamities; he has the power to suffer the mad passions of people to rage, and to afflict nations with war; he presides over adverse as well as prosperous events. The passage does not prove that God is the author of moral evil or sin, and such a sentiment is abhorrent to the general strain of the Bible, and to all just views of the character of a holy God.[1]"

All evil, or some evil. Even a little would make you deity at least partially evil.

"So like I said at the begin, the original argument or example is a fallacy. One has to be careful of taking a verse out of context. A little saying goes like this "A verse out of context - is a pretext" Pretext being a reason given in justification of a course of action that is not the real reason."

Incorrect. Calamity by definition, is not an act of good.

"This is a straw-man argument based on a pretext, I have shown the context and provided supporting evidence to prove the verse does not say God created evil as in sin/immorality.  Mankind is the author of evil."

Context still supports an act of evil. 
    with_all_humility
  • with_all_humilitywith_all_humility 222 Pts   -   edited April 2018
    @EmeryPearson

No, this is still fallacious. Evil intent nor actions is not negated by good outcomes. Not without prior knowledge of said outcomes.
    • I never said it negated Evil, this is the 3rd time I've said it. I did say that out of trails good can come, because you learn. Prime example; ask anyone who has gone into the military if bad experience at first, most will say is was bad, however, by the time you graduate you have learned and feel good about yourself because you persevered and overcame the man obstacles. (Not without prior knowledge of said outcomes) How are you to have knowledge of any future event? The statement makes no sense to me. 
    This is irrelevant, if you are Omnipotent, you do know everything. If you do not know everything, you are not Omnipotent.
    • The burden of proof is on you, how do you know what an Omnipotent being is thinking?  Look at the baptism of Jesus
    • Mat 3:15-17:  But Jesus answered and said to him, "Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he allowed Him. When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.  And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased," [1] (How is an Omnipotent who chooses to know everything, pleased or happy)?
    This is irrelevant, as God knew the outcome of the test prior to it occurring. (Prove it, so mankind is just robots?)

It was Satan doing the tempting, he tempted God into allowing him to commit evil upon Job. Even though God already knew the outcome of the test. As Satan did not know the outcome of the test, it was committed to prove to another. (Satan) (Do you actually read the bible?)
    • Job 1:6  Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them. And the LORD said to Satan, "From where do you come?" So Satan answered the LORD and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it." Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?" So Satan answered the LORD and said, "Does Job fear God for nothing? Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!"  And the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person." So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.
    • Now, its pretty clear as to who started the conversation, and as to who knew Job best.  God allowed Satan to tempt Job, but it was not God doing the tempting.  Satan is a free will agent just like mankind its.  God wanted to prove or show Satan that he did not have dominion of man. And that is exactly what Jesus says over in John chapter 10, Jesus is telling parable, sheep are disciples no one can snatch them away; for His Father is greater than all. This is right in parallel with Job, only way to become a lost sheep is to willfully stop following the Shepard.
    • John 10.27-30:  My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are one.[2]
    This is your interpretation of said Bible. As far as I can see, it's not logical congruent if your Deity is Omnipotent.
    • I did not interpret, James is the easiest book to understand in the Bible, he speaks very clearly. I also, show you where Paul taught the same thing.  Now is the apostles wrong or are you?  The burden of proof is on you. You made a claim, I dismissed it with not my opinion but with what the Bible clearly tells us and you say it's incorrect. Don't say it, prove it.
    This is irrelevant, as you define your deity by the Bible, not I. If you define it by a specific version or translation, you need to specify. The Bible directly states God created evil. Unless you use an alternate version, this still stands.
    • This is a fallacy because you are cherry picking a word, pulling out of context and claiming it to be something it is not.  I gave you a bible sense lexicon (word tree) that show you want the Hebrew word meant. You just being suborn and ignoring the evidence.  You can't change meanings of words to fit your argument.  That would be another fallacy.
    God was already aware of the outcome pre, and post warning. Making it unnecessary. 
    • No, it is a warning, just like warning a child not to do something. Israel could have chosen to obey God, but they did not. However, there was a faithful remnant that carried on.  God did not commit evil, hold someone accountable is not evil.
    All evil, or some evil. Even a little would make you deity at least partially evil.
    • So you even ignore a scholar on what the definition of the word is...classic

Incorrect. Calamity by definition, is not an act of good.
    • Never said it was good, it means a disaster. I was correct and still, however, it is not evil, in this context is corporal punishment.  
    Context still supports an act of evil. 
    • No, It does not, I provided multiple sources proving it was not.  How are they wrong, but you are right?
    • Romans 1.28-30  And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.[3]

Romans clearly shows where evil comes from and who is the author of evil.  It is man!

The New King James Version. (1982). (Mat 3:15–17). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

The New King James Version. (1982). (Jn 10:27–30). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2016). (Ro 1:28–31). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

EmeryPearson