frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

ddo migration

2»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AxonsAxons 8 Pts   -  
    @janesix

Hello fellow DDO refugees!
    someone234
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    @someone234

I for one will believe it when I see it. I've been on sites where the mod himself was racist or anti theist and had a threshold so high nothing short of an actual killing made them see an offence. I've already met one of DDO's old trolls here, and his behavior has not been challenged at all so far.
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    ethang5 said:
    @someone234

I for one will believe it when I see it. I've been on sites where the mod himself was racist or anti theist and had a threshold so high nothing short of an actual killing made them see an offence. I've already met one of DDO's old trolls here, and his behavior has not been challenged at all so far.
    it will be interesting to see how they are dealt with or if, it's mostly subjective but we shall see.
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    DDO actually was dying long ago from trolls. The first whiff I get of unleashed trolls and I will be gone.

There are way too many debate sites to have to tolerate trolls.
  • janesixjanesix 109 Pts   -  
    Hellooooo!!@Axons
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    ethang5 said:
    @someone234

ethang5 said:
    @someone234

it will be interesting to see how they are dealt with or if, it's mostly subjective but we shall see.
    Report the trolling to aarong via PM.
  • OutplayzOutplayz 88 Pts   -  
    @someone234

Hey! Why do i keep getting notifications for all these new posts which aren't directed at me? 
  • OutplayzOutplayz 88 Pts   -  
    @someone234

NM i think i figured it out... it was one of the noti's that was clicked. 
    someone234
    @Outplayz yeah it's the box about a thread you posted in etc
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited August 2018
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    They deleted my account for some reason. Debate.org is a inferior debate website, DebateIsland.com reigns superiority as the best debate website.
    someone234
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • OutplayzOutplayz 88 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    @George_Horse

Mine too. I like this site. I'll probably hang out on both here and there.  
    George_Horse
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    I've just recently migrated from DDO. There are certain aspects of DI that I love, and certain aspects that DDO had that I will miss. I'm so afraid to use character assassination on DI because I may get kicked off. DDO is like the old west of debate forums, I could personally attack my opponents view and try to convince them that they're pieces of sh&t because of their views and others would eat it up like cheetos. I do love the civilised manner on DI though. Persuasive argument without using personal attacks are an art. But there are some debates I would be squeamish about posting on this site because they are made to be purposely provocative. A couple weeks ago, I posted a debate on DDO where I claimed people who receive home loans are welfare babies. It was so satisfying to see my opponent hit the roof because I backed my claim up with logic. I'm not sure how that would go over on DI. I think people may consider my use of the term "welfare babies" as hate content and would flag me. But DDO has been taken over by spammers. Trolling doesn't bother me, I can deal with that. Sometimes the absolutely absurd debates were fun, but having to scroll through several pages of spam to find an actual debate got annoying. Then came the pedophile who was posting poetry about molestation over and over, I was just getting sick of it. I guess I'd say that if DDO somehow found a way to fix the problem of spammers, I'd go back, but I would still stay loyal to DI because it is actually geared toward civilised debate. 
    someone234
    @piloteer In your last debate you tried to 'assassinate me in round 3' and were annihilated by my pure logic. :)

That being said I agree, DI is better. Welcome to the club!
    piloteer
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    someone234

Ya, you got me on that one. I kinda didn't think that resolution all the way through. It sucks when I wake up to find I've posted a debate while I was drunk. It sucks even more when someone actually accepts the challenge before I can cancel it and I've got to try and argue a wicked resolution to try and save face. I'll try and do that less here. 

Good to see you here too Brotein shake.   :)
    someone234
    Except for willows flooding of the religion section, this like the similar debate sites are all but dead, they are dying a slow death, but it's obvious, time to find another hobby.  Most of the topics are a rehash of the same old thing, nothing new or inspiring.  It's not the fault of D.I. it's just a societal trend.  It's a shame to be sure, but even DDO was loosing it's base prior to the spam.  The decline was obvious and fairly consistent.  There's honestly to reason to believe D.I. will get "new blood" or that it will spark people's interest.  If you watch the news and those their interview, they aren't interested in meaningful discussion.  While they do cherry pick the most aggressive and ignorant, I still see this as a trend.  The attacks on people like Candice Owens is a reflection of what is acceptable now.  People are attacked not so much their ideas.  So to think the same wouldn't happen here is just silly.
    This started out fairly well, but now it's DDO level and even worse.  r.i.p. civil debate.
    The Animals
    @Applesauce Just because few humans are into debating doesn't mean this site is dying in the slightest. Even the spammer has helped it increase activity.
    @someone234
    how many new people are signing up per week?  How many individuals are visiting daily and how many individuals are posting daily?  Someone has those stats or can find out.  That should show the trend I would think.  There's no way I can think of to spark more interest or get more people involved.  IMO Facebook and twitter is were people do their debating/arguing, it's instant and with so many more users.  This format is very old technology which we still cling to, too afraid to let go.  We live in an age of instant gratification and demand for immediate responses.  Hence the memes, even the fake ones, number of likes, followers etc.  This format can't compete.  I'm not trying to downplay or minimize the effort put forth here, it's a valiant effort, however one in futility :(  Maybe the stats prove me wrong, I hope so, but i don't think so.
    The Animals
    @Applesauce The fact you can actually get stimulated by a FB/Twitter debate speaks for itself. You can enjoy arguing over who has the best set of emojis.
    @Applesauce What you think doesn't matter, if you got an issue get lost. If you don't, bring others here so it doesn't die if you think it's dying.
    @Applesauce The fact you can actually get stimulated by a FB/Twitter debate speaks for itself. You can enjoy arguing over who has the best set of emojis.
    typical liberal response, I talk about a societal issue and concern that I see, you attack me.
    The Animals
    @Applesauce What you think doesn't matter, if you got an issue get lost. If you don't, bring others here so it doesn't die if you think it's dying.
    typical liberal response, I talk about a societal issue and concern that I see, you attack me.
    The Animals
    @Applesauce You're the one saying DI should give up existing as it's hopeless.
    @Applesauce You're the one saying DI should give up existing as it's hopeless.
    do all liberals have reading comphrension difficulties or just you?
    I said "Maybe the stats prove me wrong, I hope so, but i don't think so."
    Where did I say DI should give up?
    you sure do like to tell me what I think, seems a bit fascist imo
    someone234
    The Animals
    @Applesauce I am a Social Democrat. If you're going to use labels, use them properly.

@someone234

I judge you by your words, I don't care how you label yourself.  In the U.S. we are not compelled to use preferred pronouns or labels.  If you don't wish to be thought of as an alt left or fascist then don't act like one.  Given your previous responses I believe my words were fitting and accurate.
    Barack Obama "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig," 
    The Animals
    @Applesauce nice lipstick there, Fascist.
    @Applesauce nice lipstick there, Fascist.
    Image result for you keep using that word meme
    you've attempted to try and tell me what to do, what I think and put words in my mouth, I pointed out I am going to do what I want.  UUGGe difference there bucko.

The Animals
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    There's actually some room for creativity here.  A few months ago, myself and a few other members got into a public discussion about how it would be great to have a way to keep people from ruining great debates and we all suggested similar ideas about how to do it.  Literally 5 days later the tag ability was implemented and the original "Agree Disagree" buttons became the now seven buttons that we have to appropriately mark people's posts.  I can say that as long as you can articulate the idea in a way that it makes perfect sense and it's actually something that would help...there's a good chance it'll get implemented to improve the site.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @janesix:
    I think that debate.org is in the process of cleaning the spam up? 
    debate island does seem slower, but some of the anti religious individuals, still carry on sadly on this website just as they do and did there.

Ask them for the evidence to support some of their anti religious rhetoric and they still can't provide it? 

Different website, same opinions and attitudes? 
    @TTKDB The admin here is dealing with wowsil as we speak.
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @someone234
    Wowsil might develop an issue with that?

@Wowsil

posts mysteriously disappear, some of mine have anyway.
    The Animals