frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Machine Learning in Python or R?

Debate Information

Greetings!

First of all, I want to clear, I don't major in computer sciences but learn HTML and C++ from online courses and after doing some projects for different clients. Now, I am looking to learn machine learning but it is challenging to decide either Python or R? I just read this article https://courses.ajaytech.co/p/r-vs-python to increase my understanding. 

When I talk with experts most of them suggested me to go with Python and try to get enrollment for any of online course like the followings even the free ones like Audacity, Udemy etc. 
However, I want to willing to go with R because of great interest in statistics. What's your suggestion? Please come with feasible suggestions.

On the other hand, do you think an online course would be the right choice? What about the institutes? 

I am waiting for your responses. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
67%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6058 Pts   -  
    Python is arguably a much more universal language, and quite a bit more popular. With R, you are more or less stuck doing data science, while knowing Python allows for a much wider array of applications. Python also has absolutely unparalleled visualisation libraries.

Bear in mind that I do not have much experience with R, while Python is my primary language, so I may be biased. But as someone who has been doing data science for the last few years, let me assure you that Python is more than adequate for virtually any data science application. And machine learning in Python is very powerful, with dozens libraries available. I personally have delved in TensorFlow and Keras, and the latter is absolutely amazing.
    BonitaVanhooser
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 143 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    Python is arguably a much more universal language, and quite a bit more popular. With R, you are more or less stuck doing data science, while knowing Python allows for a much wider array of applications. Python also has absolutely unparalleled visualisation libraries.

Bear in mind that I do not have much experience with R, while Python is my primary language, so I may be biased. But as someone who has been doing data science for the last few years, let me assure you that Python is more than adequate for virtually any data science application. And machine learning in Python is very powerful, with dozens libraries available. I personally have delved in TensorFlow and Keras, and the latter is absolutely amazing.
    I also preferring Python because it's more general if you talk about its use. However, after Python, maybe it could be an idea to try for R. Need one more suggestion, do you think online courses like free ones at coursea or udemy and other places are enough good? Or should I go with paid ones? I was willing to start with free online courses because I am just a beginner. What're your views?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6058 Pts   -  
    @BonitaVanhooser

It is hard for me to give suggestions as far as courses go, since I have never taken one myself: I switched from C++ to Python when I started my PhD program and learned the language on the fly. I have used mostly random online guides and source code to learn the language. In my opinion, you learn the language much better when you are working on something, than when you just study it in the abstract manner.

If you want to learn the language in depth, I would buy a solid comprehensive book on it, such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Python-Data-Analysis-Wrangling-IPython-ebook/dp/B075X4LT6K And, of course, taking a solid online course would not hurt. I am not sure what benefits paid ones have over free ones; I would try out a couple of free ones and see if they work for you.

As far as real world problems to serve as exercises go, this is the primary website: https://www.kaggle.com/ Bear in mind that it is a very serious commitment, and most problems take a while to finish. But it is probably the most practical way to learn, as you will be solving the same problems as data scientists in real companies do. Practice on Kaggle can easily be converted into a strong resume, and employers highly value it.
    ZeusAres42