frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Devil's advocate: Are Christians morally obligated to care about the suffering of others?

Debate Information

Okay, so I don't really care what anyone thinks about me, on this. Jesus said to do unto others, yet so many Christians, are too ****ing stubborn, to obey Him on this. I don't think it is a sin to be angry with God at all, because anger is a human emotion. However, if the person being angry with god, does their best to love Him and search Him, who are I, or fellow Christians, to hate them? I don't have perfect faith, and I will be the first to admit, that I'm angry with Jesus right now, but Jesus is the Love of my life, and true love should never be conditional.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    I believe "caring about others" was a mechanism invented by the church. It's a pretty good tactic for followers to spread their religion around as much as possible when it's practically ingrained in the religion

Development of the christian "morals" > Caring about the possible suffering of others > Spreading religion to others > Forcing religion on others > Religious state

Currently, most American christians are on level 3. With the separation of church and state, it's more difficult to press beyond that, but many churches have succeeded in reaching level 5 in history

Just my personal take...
    why so serious?
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    smoothie said:
    I believe "caring about others" was a mechanism invented by the church. It's a pretty good tactic for followers to spread their religion around as much as possible when it's practically ingrained in the religion

Development of the christian "morals" > Caring about the possible suffering of others > Spreading religion to others > Forcing religion on others > Religious state

Currently, most American christians are on level 3. With the separation of church and state, it's more difficult to press beyond that, but many churches have succeeded in reaching level 5 in history

Just my personal take...
    You have the right to your opinion, but empathy is a basic human right. No one has the right to disrespect the suffering of other people, Christian, or not.
    smoothie said:

Just my personal take...
    You have the right to your opinion, but empathy is a basic human right. No one has the right to disrespect the suffering of other people, Christian, or not.
    I didn't say it wasn't? Empathy can be invented and used for other purposes as well...
    why so serious?
    smoothie said:
    smoothie said:

Just my personal take...
    I didn't say it wasn't? Empathy can be invented and used for other purposes as well...
    Prove it.
    smoothie said:
    smoothie said:

Just my personal take...
    Prove it.
    You can't force me to prove anything, nor does anybody here truly know the answer as they were not there in the ancient times of religion, but I will give you an interesting video:

why so serious?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    One cannot be obligated to something that is outside their control. You cannot force yourself to care about something; caring for something comes as a response of your psychology to the external stimuli. You can fake caring for others, I suppose, or maybe you can teach yourself to care about something through psychological conditioning - but at a given moment you cannot just decide, "Okay, I am starting to care about others from this point in time", and do so.
    MayCaesar said:
    One cannot be obligated to something that is outside their control. You cannot force yourself to care about something; caring for something comes as a response of your psychology to the external stimuli. You can fake caring for others, I suppose, or maybe you can teach yourself to care about something through psychological conditioning - but at a given moment you cannot just decide, "Okay, I am starting to care about others from this point in time", and do so.
    People don't have the right, to not care about the suffering of others. Empathy is a right.
    People don't have the right, to not care about the suffering of others.
    Where is this stated in the law?
    GnosticChristian
    why so serious?
    smoothie said:
    People don't have the right, to not care about the suffering of others.
    Where is this stated in the law?
    I don't have to quote the law, in reference to morality. Where does the law say abuse is okay?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    @YeshuaBought

Uh, in dozens different articles, depending on the type of abuse.

There is also a difference between something not being "okay", and something not being a right. Cursing at people is not okay from most moral viewpoints, but it is your right - which I hope you choose to not exercise too often.
    smoothie
  • @YeshuaBought ;

"and search Him"

You do not seek god as Jesus asked you to do. You have found a god called Yahweh and go against scriptures that tell you find a moral god.

You settled for a genocidal god. You are calling evil good.

Regards
    DL
  • @YeshuaBought ;
    "but empathy is a basic human right"

Who enforces that right?

Regards
    DL
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

***** People don't have the right, to not care about the suffering of others

Who says?    If I don’t care that members of ISIS are dying of starvation I don’t have this “right” 

. *****Empathy is a right.

No it’s not, who tells you this B S 
    smoothie
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

****  No one has the right to disrespect the suffering of other people, Christian, or not.

Right , so I couldn’t care less about child killers sufferings while in high security prisons and I don’t have that “right”?

Yet another example of a “Christian “ lecturing others but yet believing her own words  and doing the total opposite to what she says 
    AlofRI
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought ***** I don't have to quote the law, in reference to morality

No  one asked you to do so regards morality, which is why you’re  introducing the word “morality into your piece , you keep talking about rights as in . ...

.***** People don't have the right, to not care about the suffering of others. 

Right ,so I legally cannot walk by a homelesss guy living on the street because I do not have “the right “ to not care? 

Who decided this right I’m unaware off? Where’s it written down in law?

****Empathy is a right.

Its still not 
    Dee said:
    @YeshuaBought

****  No one has the right to disrespect the suffering of other people, Christian, or not.

Right , so I couldn’t care less about child killers sufferings while in high security prisons and I don’t have that “right”?

Yet another example of a “Christian “ lecturing others but yet believing her own words  and doing the total opposite to what she says 
    You are a . I never said anything about child killers. I do love your strawmans.
    Dee said:
    @YeshuaBought ***** I don't have to quote the law, in reference to morality

No  one asked you to do so regards morality, which is why you’re  introducing the word “morality into your piece , you keep talking about rights as in . ...

.***** People don't have the right, to not care about the suffering of others. 

Right ,so I legally cannot walk by a homelesss guy living on the street because I do not have “the right “ to not care? 

Who decided this right I’m unaware off? Where’s it written down in law?

****Empathy is a right.

Its still not 
    I don't care about your feelings, and i don't have to quote a legal textbook, because it does not matter. We get our rights from God, not government. If God does not give you a right, you don't have that right.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    Dee said:
    What may I help you with?
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

I’m not and I copy and pasted your piece when reporting you.

You said ......   No one has the right to disrespect the suffering of other people

Are child killers not other people?  A simple yes or no will suffice 
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

**** I don't care about your feelings,

Obviously , just as Jesus recommended and you were taught 

**** and i don't have to quote a legal textbook, because it does not matter. 

If it doesn’t matter why are you so upset?

***We get our rights from God, not government

What god? How will did he inform the American government that abortion was “just”?

****. If God does not give you a right, you don't have that right.

Right so Atheists have no rights in the U S because god didn’t give them .....Oooooooookay 
    Dee said:
    @YeshuaBought

I’m not and I copy and pasted your piece when reporting you.

You said ......   No one has the right to disrespect the suffering of other people

Are child killers not other people?  A simple yes or no will suffice 
    I am a death penalty supporter, because I know what it is like, to survive a violent crime. You are free to not care, but I just wanted to tell you why I don't care about the feelings of a child killer. That said, I do believe the death penalty should not exceed the bounds of what is reasonable punishment. Another point I want to make, is that justice, or redress of grievances, is a basic human right, and that we as a society, cannot allow justice to go unchecked.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

****** I am a death penalty supporter, because I know what it is like, to survive a violent crime. You are free to not care,

Why do you assume I don’t care? Why do you get so emotional when asked a simple question?

***/but I just wanted to tell you why I don't care about the feelings of a child killer. 

But you “no one had the right to disrespect the suffering of other people “ .....unless they’re child killers , right?

****That said, I do believe the death penalty should not exceed the bounds of what is reasonable punishment. 

I’m against it 

****Another point I want to make, is that justice, or redress of grievances, is a basic
    human right,

Yes 

***/and that we as a society, cannot allow justice to go unchecked.

Yet we do and government allow it as corrupt politicians and business men women on the top tier of society get away with blue murder do you deny this ?

Dee said:
    @YeshuaBought

****** I am a death penalty supporter, because I know what it is like, to survive a violent crime. You are free to not care,

Why do you assume I don’t care? Why do you get so emotional when asked a simple question?

***/but I just wanted to tell you why I don't care about the feelings of a child killer. 

But you “no one had the right to disrespect the suffering of other people “ .....unless they’re child killers , right?

****That said, I do believe the death penalty should not exceed the bounds of what is reasonable punishment. 

I’m against it 

****Another point I want to make, is that justice, or redress of grievances, is a basic
    human right,

Yes 

***/and that we as a society, cannot allow justice to go unchecked.

Yet we do and government allow it as corrupt politicians and business men women on the top tier of society get away with blue murder do you deny this ?

I am not emotional, nor do i feel defensive. I am sorry you think that I am. If you are willing to have an honest debate, let me know, but so far, it seems that you don't.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

**** I am not emotional, nor do i feel defensive. 
    Ok 

***I am sorry you think that I am. 

Are you? Why would you even care what others think?

***If you are willing to have an honest debate, let me know,

I keep trying but every question you’re asked you go on attack mode , why you do so is beyond me is your faith that shaky?

****but so far, it seems that you don't.

Still trying but you refuse to answer questions
  • GnosticChristianGnosticChristian 285 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    Dee

You have to remember the immaturity and lack of thinking ability of your young interlocutor.

Regards
    DL
    Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @GnosticChristian

Indeed , she’s always angry apparently this species does not like being questioned ( a bit like god) she gets very emotional and believe it or not only a month ago told all “ I hate god I’m now an atheist” and now she’s not ......
    GnosticChristian
    Dee said:
    @GnosticChristian

Indeed , she’s always angry apparently this species does not like being questioned ( a bit like god) she gets very emotional and believe it or not only a month ago told all “ I hate god I’m now an atheist” and now she’s not ......
    That is a lie. i have conversations on here, with people of any viewpoint, that presents their views in an honest and respectful ways, but if you are going to lie or be rude, i will call you out, then ignore you. You are also a known , who called that other person a child molester, so how dare yoy expect to be taken seriously?
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

You said you’re a feminist which I think is “cute” , you seem very emotional here is a link to site that might help with emotional issues and of course you’re welcome https://lonerwolf.com/emotional-suffering/
    GnosticChristian
    Dee said:
    @YeshuaBought

You said you’re a feminist which I think is “cute” , you seem very emotional here is a link to site that might help with emotional issues and of course you’re welcome https://lonerwolf.com/emotional-suffering/
    If you can't handle being called a , don't lie. Anyone who calls someone a child molester when they are not, is a .
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

If you can't handle being called a , don't lie. Anyone who calls someone a child thief , li-r or plagariser  when they are not, is a .
  • @YeshuaBought ;

You lie quite easily, or are delusional and seem like an atheist in disguise more than a theist.

Keep working for my side.

Regards
    DL
    @YeshuaBought ;

You lie quite easily, or are delusional and seem like an atheist in disguise more than a theist.

Keep working for my side.

Regards
    DL
    You are not a Christian, but a . i know who i am, and I don't care about your feelings. if you continue to lie about me, i will report you. End of story.
    Dee said:
    @YeshuaBought

If you can't handle being called a , don't lie. Anyone who calls someone a child thief , li-r or plagariser  when they are not, is a .
    Reported for trolling.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

Just reported you for constantly calling me a without proof 
    @Dee I have the right to call you a , because you are. You lied and said that person is a child molester, when they are not, therefore, you are a . 
  • Y B

Do as you will.

You are useless to me in any case. 

Regards
    DL
    Y B

Do as you will.

You are useless to me in any case. 

Regards
    DL
    Leave me alone. You are not a Christian anyway.
  • Correct, I am one of the good Christians who has rejected your genocidal god.

Regards
    DL
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

You’re reported again for fabricating stories and consistently lying 
    GnosticChristian
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    YeshuaBought said:

You are not a Christian, but a . i know who i am, and I don't care about your feelings. if you continue to lie about me, i will report you. End of story.
    Did you not say earlier that Christians are morally obligated to care about the suffering of others? If so, then you should care about him/her feelings.

I think this just demonstrates a more general trend I hinted at earlier: people who see caring for others as a high virtue tend to be hypocrites, where they claim to be caring about everyone, but in practice only care about those who they like. Which is fine - caring about absolutely everyone is impractical and unfeasible anyway - but they should just admit it. Instead, they tend to pick on those who do not care about someone, while themselves doing the exact same thing.
    DeeGnosticChristiansmoothie
  • If Debra was just a bit brighter, we would ask her to blank out lies and pointless posts and Y B would basically disappear from these pages.

Such atheists should not exist and are not required.

Regards
    DL
    MayCaesar said:
    YeshuaBought said:

Did you not say earlier that Christians are morally obligated to care about the suffering of others? If so, then you should care about him/her feelings.

I think this just demonstrates a more general trend I hinted at earlier: people who see caring for others as a high virtue tend to be hypocrites, where they claim to be caring about everyone, but in practice only care about those who they like. Which is fine - caring about absolutely everyone is impractical and unfeasible anyway - but they should just admit it. Instead, they tend to pick on those who do not care about someone, while themselves doing the exact same thing.
    Yep, you're trolling. What do you have to say, that is on topic?
    smoothie
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    Christians are NOT "morally" obligated to care for others but Christian's are obligated by edict from our Lord to love our neighbor as our self. Moral obligation is not at issue as much as obedience to God's will is mandated.

• RickeyD said:
    Christians are NOT "morally" obligated to care for others but Christian's are obligated by edict from our Lord to love our neighbor as our self. Moral obligation is not at issue as much as obedience to God's will is mandated.

Wow.

So if you would have been living in the older days, like the Jews were ordered to and did, you would smash babies heads on stone would you?

Would you also stone your own unruly child as scriptures dictate?

Regards
    DL
    RickeyD said:

Yes Christians are morally obligated, to care about the suffering of others, because Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself, and to do unto others. if you don't care about the suffering of other people, you don't have the right, to call yourself a Christian.
    RickeyD said:

Wow.

So if you would have been living in the older days, like the Jews were ordered to and did, you would smash babies heads on stone would you?

Would you also stone your own unruly child as scriptures dictate?

Regards
    DL
    W agree on something? I am shocked!
  • @YeshuaBought ;

What a poor communicator. It must be your age or lack of education.

What are we agreeing on?

Regards
    DL
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    @YeshuaBought ; Morality is not essential to caring for one's neighbor but obedience is. Care and concern are not necessarily "moral" attributes but they are attributes of the compassionate and perhaps the ethical and in Christianity, the obedient. One can be immoral and still care for his neighbor but if one lacks obedience to God's edicts or compassion, their neighbor is of no concern. Compassion is not essentially synonymous with morality.
    RickeyD said:
    @YeshuaBought ; Morality is not essential to caring for one's neighbor but obedience is. Care and concern are not necessarily "moral" attributes but they are attributes of the compassionate and perhaps the ethical and in Christianity, the obedient. One can be immoral and still care for his neighbor but if one lacks obedience to God's edicts or compassion, their neighbor is of no concern. Compassion - ethical behavior are not essentially synonymous with morality.
    If you are a true Christian, you will care about other people, end of story. I will not change my mind.