frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What is blasphemy of the Holy Soirit, and how do I avoid it?

2»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• SandSand 307 Pts   -  

The video doesn't make enough scripture quotations to make the determinations he made.

Your determination about heaven on earth and unable to see it.
    The scriptures you quote do not have the word heaven in it.

No one is discarding your quotes, your conclusions do not match the scripture. Please place in bold how you know Jesus is referring to heaven in those scriptures.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6084 Pts   -  
    "Blasphemy" is an old concept, from the times when the concept of "free speech" did not exist, and the ruling doctrine was mandatory to follow and no dissent was allowed.

The Enlightenment movement has completely obliterated this concept with logical reasoning. It is not something to consider any more; you cannot partake in blasphemy in any meaningful way. You are absolutely free to question any religious dogmas, and you can be wrong in some of the things you say - nothing wrong with that, we all make mistakes and learn from them, but never fully get rid of them.

If your god is going to punish you for honest confusion, then this is not a god worth following. And if not, then you have nothing to worry about. Either way, you are good! :)
  • Sand said:

I don't believe you read the Bible.
    Nevertheless, I will quote the scripture you just requested.

This shows everyone goes to Sheol.
    The Hebrew word for Hell.

Wrong quote. 

Sheol is the grave and not hell.

Hell is a Christian invention according to intelligent thought and Bishop Spong, as one of many of the few exceptions to the perpetually lying preachers.

BTW, Jews are not literalists of their holy books and only fools will read myths literally.

Regards
    DL

• I believe Yahweh is a Trinity, and that the Holy Spirit is the third Person of that Trinity, but I don't know how to avoid blaspheming Him.
    The Trinity idiocy asside, any person who would not blaspheme against a genocidal and infanticidal god would not be a moral person.

A moral person would condemn Yahweh to hell, where he belongs.

Are you such a person?

Regards
    DL
  • Sand said:

The video doesn't make enough scripture quotations to make the determinations he made.

Your determination about heaven on earth and unable to see it.
    The scriptures you quote do not have the word heaven in it.

No one is discarding your quotes, your conclusions do not match the scripture. Please place in bold how you know Jesus is referring to heaven in those scriptures.

Use logos and not mythos.

Heaven is where god is. Right? 

Is god omnipresent? Christianity says yes.

If god is here, then this is heaven. 
    If he is not, then he is not omnipresent and the WORD is lying.

I say that the bible and Christian dogma are lies, or just myths, and only fools read it literally.

I have plenty of back up for that view.

I hope you can see how intelligent the ancients were as compared to the mental trash that modern preachers and theists are using with the literal reading of myths.

https://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Further.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about the literal reading of myths.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Matt 7;12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

This is how early Gnostic Christians view the transition from reading myths properly to destructive literal reading and idol worship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg&feature=BFa&list=PLCBF574D

Regards

DL

• RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @GnosticChristian ; Who is Jesus to you?
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  

1) When Jesus walked the Earth for 33.5-yrs, was the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth or is Heaven the realm of the Father's abode in the Spiritual World?

Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."  John 18:36 (NASB)

"You heard that I said to you, 'I go away, and I will come to you.' If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the Father, for the Father is greater than I."  John 14:28 (NASB)

"I came forth from the Father and have come into the world; I am leaving the world again and going to the Father."  John 16:28 (NASB)

"I and the Father are one."  John 10:30 (NASB)

Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father '?  John 14:9 (NASB)

God is omniscient but that has nothing to do with the Kingdom of Heaven, for Hell cannot be Heaven but God knows and sees the demons confined in Hell...simply because God knows and sees and controls and interacts does not suggest that the limitless aspects of His omniscience mandates that the Kingdom of God is without boundaries. This Earth is not the Kingdom of God, it has been temporarily been given over to Satan as Satan is being used to separate the Sheep from the Goats, the wheat from the chaff, the faithful from the atheist.

GnosticChristian
  • RickeyD said:
    @GnosticChristian ; Who is Jesus to you?
    Which Jesus are you referring to?

The Roman construct you know or the esoteric and mystical Jesus I know?

If mine. I see him as a mantra that he wants us to use to find our own spark of god within us. 

God is everywhere. Right? 

Should you not go within and find him?

Regards
    DL

• @RickeyD ;

Gospel of Thomas

Jesus said, The Kingdom is inside you, and outside you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will realize it is you who are the sons of the living Father.

Are you not a child of god?

Regards
    DL