frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Democrats refused to stand up for Rush Limbaugh even when he has stage four cancer!

Debate Information

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-friends-bash-democrats-for-not-applauding-rush-limbaugh-at-sotu-hes-in-the-fight-of-his-life/

How unforgiving and spiteful can Democrats be when they can't even stand for a man possibly dying from cancer?
This truly shows how petty and childish Democrats have become towards Conservatives. According to Progressive Democrats, Rush is deplorable and irredeemable, and can't even bring themselves to set differences aside when a person is battling for his life!

I would be ashamed of this type of behavior and would love to hear one Progressive on this site tell us how they feel about it.
PlaffelvohfenDeeAlofRI

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    @We_are_accountable Why do you care so much about people applauding somebody? I thought people had a right to their views. Do you intend to force people to applaud because it fits your views?

If Pelosi or Obama got stage four cancer would you applaud everything they say?
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRI
    why so serious?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    Would you applaud someone you strongly dislike out of compassion for their health condition? Say, in 1952 Stalin was making a speech, in the poor condition he was by then, and people would applaud him... Would you be comfortable applauding a man responsible for dozens millions deaths?

I mean, you probably would, as not applauding back then meant adding to those deaths - but that is beside the point.
    AlofRIBlastcat
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    That’s terrible news I’m dreadfully sorry for cancer no one deserves Limbaugh 
    PlaffelvohfenpiloteerAlofRIBlastcat
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    @Dee

I was going to try and come up with a witty spiteful thing to say about him, but I can't top your comment.
    DeeAlofRIPlaffelvohfen
  • Mint_TeaMint_Tea 21 Pts   -  
    Why should they stand up for him?  They aren't applauding it and they certainly don't have to immediately agree with everything he says or does just because he has cancer.  It's unfortunate and sad for him and his family but that will never mean that people are going to applaud him.
    smoothieAlofRIWe_are_accountable
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @piloteer ;

Thanks , I probably just got in before you as you come out some beauties  yourself and long may it continue 
    Blastcat
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    @Dee

Well thank you my friend. But you just set the bar a tad bit higher. Cheers 
    Dee
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    NO one deserves it more than Limbaugh. Good people die of cancer every day, My daughter has had it for several years. It's a terrible thing. I just wish it would take more terrible people than good ones!
     The Nations highest award USUALLY goes to our nations highest people. ;-)
    We_are_accountable
    I disagree with the opposite side of the coin as well. Mocking someone over them having stage four cancer is truly despicable.

I think this exchange shows how little humanity some of us have, converting someone's personal tragedy of unspeakable degree into political currency. I have long said that politics corrupts individuals and turns them into ghouls, which is one of the reasons I have not been watching/reading news for many months. You cannot preserve sanity and humanity if you constantly let the sensationalist media have their way with you; you have to be outside its field to keep your core intact.
    We_are_accountableBlastcat
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar

Could you define what it means to have humanity? Is it just another way to say "decency" or do you imply something deeper? 
    Dee
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • That is as sick as it gets. Rush is not a terrible person, he is a Conservative and you just showed the truth once again of how Democrats look at Conservatives. Truly depraved to wish someone to have cancer for being a Conservative.@AlofRI
    AmericanFurryBoyPlaffelvohfen
  • That is as sick as it gets. Rush is not a terrible person, he is a Conservative and you just showed the truth once again of how Democrats look at Conservatives. Truly depraved to wish someone to have cancer for being a Conservative.@AlofRI @MayCaesar @AlofRI
  • That is as sick as it gets. Rush is not a terrible person, he is a Conservative and you just showed the truth once again of how Democrats look at Conservatives. Truly depraved to wish someone to have cancer for being a Conservative.@AlofRI @MayCaesar @AlofRI
  • I agree with you! Thanks for sharing some compassion and humanity for a Conservative. There are so many Democrats who treat Rush like he's a Hitler. He's a Conservative with good Conservative ideals. He cares for all people. He cares for smaller Government because he understands that most politicians are corrupt.@MayCaesar
    Plaffelvohfen
  • Is there no end to your arrogant hatred for Conservatives. You can't even give a person some respect for his heart felt beliefs when dying from cancer?

It's truly sick the hatred from the Left towards Conservatives. They can't even let go of their hate when a man is dying! SICK!@Mint_Tea
  • Yeah because giving a Medal of Honor to a racist who jus sits at a desk and says stuff into a microphone is really something to give a standing ovation for
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRI
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    That is as sick as it gets. Rush is not a terrible person, he is a Conservative and you just showed the truth once again of how Democrats look at Conservatives. Truly depraved to wish someone to have cancer for being a Conservative.@AlofRI @MayCaesar @AlofRI
    What did I say?? I said the highest award usually goes to the nations finest people. I never said anything about wishing anyone cancer. I certainly wouldn't wish our finest people cancer. :smirk:
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    You complain that Democrats portray Limbaugh as irredeemable, but what exactly has he done to seek redemption. Has he apologised for racist misogynist conspiracy theorist? No.

I'm glad the Democrats didn't stand up for him and I'd view it as typical that a Trump supporter would white-knight a racist multi-millionaire rather than care about any of the actual problems in society.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    Limbaugh on smoking ....

“I’m just saying there ought to be a little appreciation shown for them, instead of having them hated and reviled,” Limbaugh said. “I would like a medal for smoking cigars, is what I’m saying.”

Fast forward to Monday, when Limbaugh, 69, went on his radio show to announce that he had been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer.

Let’s reflect on what this despicable little toad had to say on race and remember the untold damage he did with his spiteful petty jabs ......

1. “I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.”

2. “You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed.”

3. “Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”

4. “Right. So you go into Darfur and you go into South Africa, you get rid of the white government there. You put sanctions on them. You stand behind Nelson Mandela — who was bankrolled by communists for a time, had the support of certain communist leaders. You go to Ethiopia. You do the same thing.”

5. “Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.”

6. “The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.”

7. “They’re 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?”

8. “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back (to an African American female caller).”

We_are_accountablesmoothieBlastcat
    @Plaffelvohfen

In this context, I meant "humanity" as in "humane", that is having compassion towards other human beings. I find that politics and several other fields tend to destroy that in people, pushing them towards tribalism instead, where they show compassion to the members of their tribe and are hostile towards everyone else.

Rush'es commentary is definitely heavily biased and agenda-driven, and he has said some pretty despicable things about other human beings - but that does not make mocking him over having a stage four cancer appropriate. He is not Stalin or Hitler, after all; he just has a weird set of opinions, but he has not employed violence against anyone and has just been making money by saying things that some people resonate with. It is okay to criticise his position and his words, but laughing at cancer is absolutely horrid.
    Cancer is no joke. No matter how vile of a human being one may be (and Rush certainly is not vile), nobody deserves this.
    We_are_accountableBlastcat
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    ***** In this context, I meant "humanity" as in "humane", that is having compassion towards other human beings

How does one have compassion for those they genuinely detest with good reason , they may feign it but isn’t honesty preferable?

You say he has not incited violence against anyone and that’s right but do you not think his despicable racist comments may have incited others to do so? He asked a black woman once to ring him back when she took “the bone out of her nose “, to me that’s a vile person full stop.

Limbaugh showed absolutely no compassion for those less well off or of different colour or class to himself and you’re right in a way in the sense most us would not wish cancer on anyone no matter how vile they are but these are the initial reactions of most (including myself ) on hearing the news and not unexpected given the man.

One thing May what does that mean “no one deserves “ I never really understood that statement 

Blastcat
  • Mint_TeaMint_Tea 21 Pts   -  
    @We_are_accountable
    Who said anything about hate?  Disagreeing with someone's stance isn't the same as hating.   The man has consistently made spiteful petty remarks against people, in fact he's made good money off it so yeah, it's sad he has a disease but no one HAS to give him a pass on all the crap his done in the past.
    PlaffelvohfenDee
    @MayCaesar

Libertarian compassion, is that a new thing? How do you work that out?

I disagree with you on this though, Limbaugh is indeed a vile individual, in my opinion, barely better than Alex Jones... 
    Dee
  • I'n not saying all Democrats hate Trump, but the words you use against him foster that word to any open minded reader.

I have never heard Rush using vile hateful words towards anyone other than Leftist who hate his guts. He is fighting back against all those on the Left who every day demonize him for his conservative beliefs.@Mint_Tea
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @We_are_accountable

***** I have never heard Rush using vile hateful words towards anyone other than Leftist who hate his guts

Stop lying at least show a bit of spine and stick by what your hero actually said .....

1. “I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.”

2. “You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed.”

3. “Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”

4. “Right. So you go into Darfur and you go into South Africa, you get rid of the white government there. You put sanctions on them. You stand behind Nelson Mandela — who was bankrolled by communists for a time, had the support of certain communist leaders. You go to Ethiopia. You do the same thing.”

5. “Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.”

6. “The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.”

7. “They’re 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?”

8. “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back (to an African American female caller).”

Blastcat
    @Plaffelvohfen

Your post is a perfect demonstration of what I am talking about. "New thing"? What makes you think that, just because libertarians have a different political opinion than you, their propensity for having compassion is somehow different? Is someone's political opinion everything you need to know about them to cast your judgement?

No one I have interacted with in real life will ever accuse me of lack of compassion. One of the reasons is, I connect with people on a deeper level, discarding all the superficial differences and focusing instead on how our personalities combine together, forming unique interaction dynamics. I have helped out people on all parts of the political spectrum, from extreme communists to extreme nationalists, and never regretted it.
    Yet some people think that, just because I am not a part of their political tribe, I somehow must be a self-centered egoistic maniac. Really, guys?

It is all the tribalist nature of politics and media surrounding it: it twists the way people think. Now, there are many different (and valid) ways to think, and there is, in principle, nothing wrong with not caring about someone having a four-stage cancer, or even having a joy over it. But that is not what people think in general, is it? Most of the time they will, in everyday conversations, express strong compassion towards such people; it is the political field that makes them look at it differently, and this is precisely what I am talking about.
    Blastcat
    @MayCaesar

--Is someone's political opinion everything you need to know about them to cast your judgement?

No, I've got very good conservative friends, as well as liberal ones... In Limbaugh's, Hannity's or Alex Jones' cases, I don't see this as political at all, I think that saying it's political is an excuse to rationalize their spiteful behavior... 
    @Plaffelvohfen

Well, some of the people I knew back in Russia condemned me for deciding to move to the US, calling me a traitor and telling me that I will forever miss my homeland and deserve it. Seems to be the same thing here: people know nothing about private lives of these folks, and their political personas is all they need to be okay with them having a four stage cancer.

It is perfectly fine to harshly criticise political positions and activities of those people, but why bring other things into that? People like the OP try to shield them from criticism by appealing to their health issues, while others try do the opposite and express their glee over them. The way I see it, criticism should be surgical and on point, yet people like to make it about something bigger than its contents would suggest.
    Blastcat