frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

are you better?

Debate Information

do Christians in general have better morals and values than atheists have?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    Atheists can appeal to the Euthypro dilemma to demonstrate how and why there morals may be more genuine. Christians may believe killing is wrong because God says it's wrong, so they need a divine being to tell them that. Atheists may believe killing is wrong because they actually respect others have value for their own lives and atheists will respect that. Just some food for thought though, not an argument for either side here.   
    Plaffelvohfen
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    True Christians? - definitely YES if you're speaking of Biblical values, morals, ethics, not humanistic-atheistic morally relativistic values, morals, ethics.
    PlaffelvohfenBlastcat
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD Bible morals... like genocide, slavery, misogyny, and suppression of free thought?

Those are some real nice ethics, fresh out of that one book with all the stories.
    Plaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    I believe people feel they know what is right and wrong, but need a moral compass.
    I think it is easy to feel you know what you are doing.
    I believe morality is like money.
    Everyone claims to be an expert, but relatively few are truly wealthy.
    I think this is true of religious people as well as atheists.
    I do not see an advantage of one over the other.
    maxx
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @maxx

I guess it depends on what the individual Atheists, and Religious parents teach their kids?

"do Christians in general have better morals and values than atheists have?"

When you look at how both teach morals and values, through their individual mindful lenses. 
    maxx
  • Normal_1Normal_1 54 Pts   -  
    I think it impossible for Christians to have better standards and morals than atheists.
    The reason is that Christians are still basing many of their moral values on Biblical standards that are hundreds, even thousands of years old when society was far less civilised and barbaric compared with nowadays.
    For example, the bigotry and incitement of hatred towards minority groups is deeply entrenched in Christian doctrines. Such views were the norm centuries ago but are not tolerated by decent, civilised, modern society. In fact, there are laws set in place to protect people from the low standard of morals displayed by Christians.
    @maxx
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    No. What ideology you follow in itself says absolutely nothing about your deep moral values; in fact, a lot of people follow ideologies contradicting their moral values and find various quasi-logical ways to reconcile them with each other.

People in general tend to read too much into the limited information they have of other humans. Sometimes just knowing one piece of information, such as "He is Black", or "He is a Muslim", is enough for them to cast judgement on the person as a whole - but that is a purely emotional reaction. A short amount of independent thinking will tell you that you need to know a lot of things about a given person to even remotely read their thoughts, and you need to spend many-many hours in that person's company to start figuring out who they are as a person - a process that is never complete. There are couples living together for 50 years that still do not understand each other perfectly.

Let us not pretend that we are oracles able to use a few seconds of interacting with someone to know everything about them. We are not and can never be.
    Blastcat
    MayCaesar said:
    No. What ideology you follow in itself says absolutely nothing about your deep moral values; in fact, a lot of people follow ideologies contradicting their moral values and find various quasi-logical ways to reconcile them with each other.

I think that theists in particular use this defence as an excuse to hide their own lack of morals. For example a Christian by means of "guilt by association" is a bigot and inciter of hate towards minority groups. He or she, will use religion to deceptively hide their distasteful views by saying..."oh, look I belong to that church but I don't go along with all their views". 

Similarly: "I'm a member of KKK but I don't share their views about extreme racism, I just go along for the friendship and the cheap beer"

Yeah, sure, pull the other one.
    @MayCaesar
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    @Normal_1

Funny, as I actually frequented a couple of Baptist churches when being broke in Virginia, where I would get free food, drinks and Internet. I am an atheist through and through, yet had no trouble going there.

The world becomes full of opportunities and amazing people to meet, once you discard your ideological prejudices and decide to give every person a chance.
    Blastcat
    "The world becomes full of opportunities and amazing people to meet, once you discard your ideological prejudices and decide to give every person a chance."

I certainly agree with you there and it is a pity that Christians, for the most part, do not discard their ideological prejudices for fear of compromising their faith. For example: their prejudice and bigotry towards minority groups and their incitement of hatred towards opposing beliefs such as abortion, unmarried couples and right to assisted death. 
    @MayCaesar