frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Traditional Chessboard Vs. Robotic AI Chessboard?

Debate Information

Greetings!

In school days, chess was one of my favourite board games that I loved to play with friends. After academic life, due to a busy schedule, it became tough to enjoy such board games with friends. Later, video games and other sports ate my time and didn't play chess. Withal, recently one of my friends shared this robotic AI chessboard with me and honestly speaking, I am willing to purchase it. However, I am not much sure how it would work exactly. Like we can play it with AI technology.

Can I play it with friendly remotely? I found this article https://newatlas.com/games/square-off-neo-swap-robotic-chess-board/ worth reading in this regard which mentions it will move the chess pieces like a second player. I am just excited about this game.

Secondly, if we make a comparison of manual and AI chessboard then how you will rate them? Do you think chess should only be played on manual boards or AI chessboard would be a great experience? If you have played chess on these AI chessboards then I would love to listen to your experiences. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6097 Pts   -  
    I am still an avid player, and, honestly, I have not played on a physical chess board in over 15 years. A virtual computer 2D-board is more convenient for me, as moving pieces with a mouse is much faster than with hands, and also as pieces are not obscured by each other and you can see everything clearly.

Granted, I mostly play with short time controls nowadays: 1 minute per game or 3 minutes per game. With features such as pre-move, automatic queening and castling by just moving the king, you can play much faster online than in person.

I have always been curious about these robotic boards as well, but never tried one. I imagine there could be some issues, such as pawn promotion (I am not sure how such a board would handle it), but as long as there is a technical solution to them, this seems like a nice thing to have!
    JGXdebatePRO
  • maxxmaxx 1136 Pts   -  
    Well, first I would prefer playing face-to-face over a board.  However, and sadly, in my small town, I know very few anymore who play so I resorted to lay live players online. except I do not like the flat screen chess board. I like a real board, and if I my choice I would use the robotic if I am playing online opponents. @BonitaVanhooser
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    It looks great and it’s a nice idea , I see it though as a novelty one would have in the house. I play chess weekly on a marvelous app called Chess by Post  as I prefer playing actual people , still to each their own 
  • maxxmaxx 1136 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    I am sure that the board would give you the proper options in pawn promotion and will understand  normal rules, in castleing and en passant.  For some reason, I find it more difficult myself to play individuals on  a 2-d online simulation rather than a real board.  I guess it is what one gets used to. @MayCaesar
  • JGXdebatePROJGXdebatePRO 408 Pts   -  
    I believe the game of chess should be welcoming new technology into the game and new challenges for players to face. I believe chess should be evolving with tech just as other games have. Online chess also makes the game more accessible, and allows people to play a wide variety of players.
    TGMasterX
    “The best revenge is not to be like your enemy.” – Marcus Aurelius
  • maxxmaxx 1136 Pts   -  
    people play online chess with players all of the time; yet its always on a 2-d flat screen. I play online a lot and would really like to get such a system for I prefer a real board@JGXdebatePRO
    JGXdebatePRO
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    @BonitaVanhooser Chess is my favourite sport. I think an online chess board is less expensive but the normal size cheap chess board is only £6 more and is easier to move pieces because in the online one your mouse could slip.
    @BonitaVanhooser You also refer chess as a board game, why? Chess will be played in 2024 paris olympics. The definition of a sport: A game which requires skill and planning which does not require dice
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 143 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    MayCaesar said:
    I am still an avid player, and, honestly, I have not played on a physical chess board in over 15 years. A virtual computer 2D-board is more convenient for me, as moving pieces with a mouse is much faster than with hands, and also as pieces are not obscured by each other and you can see everything clearly.

Granted, I mostly play with short time controls nowadays: 1 minute per game or 3 minutes per game. With features such as pre-move, automatic queening and castling by just moving the king, you can play much faster online than in person.

I have always been curious about these robotic boards as well, but never tried one. I imagine there could be some issues, such as pawn promotion (I am not sure how such a board would handle it), but as long as there is a technical solution to them, this seems like a nice thing to have!
    Computer ones are common. Even I have played it but yes, AI ones increased my crousity where chess pieces will be moved with technology and maybe can play with friends remotely. 
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 143 Pts   -  
    maxx said:
    Well, first I would prefer playing face-to-face over a board.  However, and sadly, in my small town, I know very few anymore who play so I resorted to lay live players online. except I do not like the flat screen chess board. I like a real board, and if I my choice I would use the robotic if I am playing online opponents. 
    No doubt, there is no comparison of face to face board games. It is not only robotic but it is AI robotic. 
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 143 Pts   -  
    RS_master said:
    @BonitaVanhooser You also refer chess as a board game, why? Chess will be played in 2024 paris olympics. The definition of a sport: A game which requires skill and planning which does not require dice
    That's interesting information. Yes, for sure, from now, I will call it as a sport. Though I know it is being played in big events but I thought its board one. 
    @BonitaVanhooser Just that it is played on boards does not mean that it is a board game.
  • maxxmaxx 1136 Pts   -  
    First I can agree that it ‘can’ be a sport just like baseball can be a sport    . However, chess is also a board game. Look the definition up @RS_master
    Your grade is 189? @lj123
    @lj123 the next time you do an advert you will be .