frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Do the Resurrection Stories in the 4 Gospels Contradict Each Other?

Debate Information

As I dissected each gospel, I found lots of contradictions and I’m fascinated with the resurrection contradictions between these 4 Gospels ( Matthew, Mark, Luke and John).

Let’s start with Matthew, according to the Gospel of Matthew there were only 2 women who visited the tomb and they were Mary Magdalene and the other Mary (Not Jesus Mama lol) and when they reached the tomb they saw 1 angel  coming down from the sky and took away the stone and sat on it. The angel told the women about Jesus raising from the dead, then they ran away and along the way Jesus appeared in front of them and told them don’t be afraid and tell my brothers to go to Galilee and there they will see me. So in Matthew 1. There were 2 women, 2. 1 angel sitting on the stone and 3. they met Jesus along the way. 

What about in Mark? According to the Gospel of Mark, Mary Magdalene, Mary Mother of James and Salome went inside the tomb and saw a young man sitting on the right of the inside of the tomb, and the young man said don’t be alarmed and etc and he said Jesus is raised from the dead. He also told them to tell the disciples, but did they? No, they didn’t tell anybody because they were afraid. So in Mark 1. There are 3 women, 2. 1 angel inside the tomb 3. They didn’t see Jesus along the way 4. They didn’t tell anybody because they were scared. 

What about in Luke? Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, Joanna and the other women went to the tomb and they found that the tomb was empty and while they were perplexed about it two men appeared to them and told them Jesus was risen, so they ran and told the disciples. Because of this testimony, Peter went to the tomb and marvelled. So in Luke 1. There are more than 3 women, 2. 2 men inside tomb 3. They told the disciples 4. Jesus didn’t appear along the way to them. 

And then in the Gospel of John, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb alone and found that the stone was rolled away so she ran back to tell Peter and John about it. And then Peter and John (Most Christians believe it was John who was with Peter) went to the tomb and confirmed it. They didn’t find any body nor angels there only a linen cloth, so they went back home, but Mary Magdalene stayed there and was weeping, and then when she looked inside the tomb she saw 2 angels. The 2 angels talked to her and said “why are you weeping?” And then she turned around and saw Jesus but she didn’t recognise him at first she thought he was just a gardener so she asked him where the body of Jesus was, but Jesus said “Mary” and then finally Mary Magdalene recognised Jesus. After that she ran back again and told the disciples that she saw Jesus. 

So how many angels? How many women? How many disciples? Were the angels inside or outside the tomb? Did Jesus appear on the road or not? But one thing is for sure its kinda funny for me that Mary Magdalene mistaken Jesus as a gardener in the Gospel of John. 

Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfenDeeSkepticalOne

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments