frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is it OK that Justice Clarence Thomas' best friend is an avid collector of Nazi paraphernalia?

Debate Information

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    Well if your outraged and your inconsolable and teary eyed maybe you could sue him, collector's could approach you and ask what can they collect that won't make you cry 
    Galvanise
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -  
    Dee said:

Well if your outraged
    Hello hater:

I'm outraged AND a proper English speaker.  Your fellow hater would admonish you for not speaking the kings English..

Du*de!

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha.

excon
  • anarchist100anarchist100 782 Pts   -  
    That doesn't mean that he likes Hitler, lots of people collect weird things, maybe they just find evil things fascinating, the vast majority of them don't actually support it though. Do people who collect serial killer memorabilia all support serial killers? Generally not. There are plenty of other reason why he might be drawn to Nazi memorabilia, it's really dishonest to just go with the really unlikely scenario in which he does it because he's a Nazi, which is actually quite uncommon of a reason among collectors.
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -  

That doesn't mean that he likes Hitler, lots of people collect weird things,

Hello a:

My problem isn't with the collector.  He's free to collect anything he wants..  My problem is with Clarence Thomas, who PICKED a friend who HAS a collection like that - being is though he IS a Supreme Court Justice and all.  It just isn't a good look.

excon
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited April 2023
    @jack

Never had you down as a supporter of the " Queens english" , never once heard the Queen say " wow ! That's awesome " ....you yanks are funny 

The King's English goes out the door when i have a few on board , my oh my you're quiet the little pedant , aren't you?
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @jack

Good ole Jack decides what a " good look " is .... we got us a right ole bully boy .

Hey ! I'm still waiting for you to prove you're a Jew .....knew you couldn't 
  • anarchist100anarchist100 782 Pts   -  
    jack said:

That doesn't mean that he likes Hitler, lots of people collect weird things,

Hello a:

My problem isn't with the collector.  He's free to collect anything he wants..  My problem is with Clarence Thomas, who PICKED a friend who HAS a collection like that - being is though he IS a Supreme Court Justice and all.  It just isn't a good look.

excon
    Sure it's not a good look, but should he be expected to give up a personal friend because some people might find his hobby offensive? The fact that there's obviously  nothing actually wrong with collecting Nazi memorabilia or being friends with someone who does should make it so that this issue doesn't actually cause that much trouble.

However there is an issue none the less, and maybe they both should have done more to prevent it from getting out, after all, we can't be causing controversy. among the masses, but you can't expect him to give up a friend over something this miner. Everyone will have stopped caring in a month, nothing to give up a good friend over.
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -  

Sure it's not a good look, but should he be expected to give up a personal friend because some people might find his hobby offensive?
    Hello again, a: 

I had to ask myself whether I'd give up a friendship for my career..  I wouldn't..  But, I ain't got much of a career.  If I were a Justice of the Supreme Court, I still wouldn't have given up a friendship.  But, it's easy for me to say.

excon
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1126 Pts   -  
    @jack

As others have pointed out owning Nazi memorabilia and agreeing with a nazi mindset are two entirely different things.  The article also pointed out other historical objects this person owns so how do you know this person doesnt just collect history.

Many soldiers who fought in WWII looked to obtain the German luger.  Does that make them Nazi sympathizers?

Have you ever heard of museums?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    Having a friend who has a weird hobby is a problem now? With your tribal warfare going out of hand, you guys might find yourselves entirely alone in this world fairly soon.

Among my friends are communists, Christians, Muslims, Jewish... I even have a friend who likes stabbing plush animals with needles: helps her relieve stress. You must think that I am the most shady individual in the world... which, to be fair, I am. ;) But for different reasons.
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -   edited April 2023
    Hello ex:

Loos like Thomas has more to worry about than his friends Nazi memorabilia...  Seems like he took actual MONEY from him and didn't disclose it.  He can't do that..

Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas had to resign for taking much less money than Thomas took.  Thomas is toast.

excon

• just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -   edited April 2023
    Guilty by association type arguments are weak arguments.  They aren't even ad hominem level, they are "homini stantem" level (to or against the man standing by the man).  Just because Obama went personally to Louis Farrakhan and asked for his help doesn't mean that Obama is a Black supremacist and Antisemite.  And just because half of the Democrat party have attendied one of Farrakhan's "kill the Jews" meetings doesn't necessarily mean all Democrats are Black supremacists and Antisemites.  Just because Illhan Omar "allegedly" married her brother to get into the country, doesn't mean every Democrat would marry their sibling.  And Just because members of the Squad have made numerous Antisemitic comments doesn't mean that every Democrat is a Jew hater.  And just because several Democrat congress persons support CRT doesn't mean all Democrats are racists.