frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Which Time Is Closer To Midnight?

Debate Information

1. Live Poll

4 votes
    1. 11:55am
        0.00%
    2. 12:06am
        0.00%
    3. 11:03am
        0.00%
    4. 12:03am
      100.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Can the world spin backward in your question?
    Are you using an atomic clock?
    Metaphorical or figurative?
  • jackjack 461 Pts   -  

Hello J:

12:03 AM - but I had to think about it.

excon
  • John_C_87John_C_87 Emerald Premium Member 867 Pts   -   edited July 2023
    @jack
    Happyy 4th of July...........

It is only closer if the Earth can spin backward, As fact it can't.
    It doesn't matter with an atomic clock as Midnight is a figurative or metaphorical statement. We lose the guidelines of a Natural or Artificial horizon and circle and it is replaced with the idea of a metronome.

• JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 834 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Hint

Time moves forward.
  • jackjack 461 Pts   -   edited July 2023
    John_C_87 said:
    @jack
    Happyy 4th of July...........
    Hello again, John:

Back at you.

The question has nothing to do with the direction time is moving, or is moving at all..  It's about a static point in time.  And, 12:03 AM is 3 minutes closer to midnight than 12:06 AM is. 

excon

• jackjack 461 Pts   -  
    Time moves forward.
    Hello Jules:

You didn't ask about the direction time moves.  You asked about a particular point in time. 

excon

@jack
    The question has nothing to do with the direction time is moving, or is moving at all..  It's about a static point in time.  And, 12:03 AM is 3 minutes closer to midnight than 12:06 AM is. 

Got it!

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6095 Pts   -  
    Time moves forward.
    This reminds me of an old math joke: "Every smoked cigarette gets one one cigarette closer to quitting smoking - therefore, the more one smokes, the sooner he will give up smoking".
  • A pilot takes off at an airport at precisely 12:00 noon, flies for three minutes and turns the plane 180 degrees, returning directly to the airport and lands in three minutes on the same runway. At what time does the pilot’s plane land at the airport?

11:55 am?

11:03 am?

12:00 am?

12:06 am?

12:03 am?

• exconexcon 569 Pts   -  
    At what time does the pilot’s plane land at the airport?
    Hello John,

At 12:06 PM. 

excon
    Argument Topic: Big Hint

12:03am is 23 hours 57 minutes away from midnight. 

Again,  time moves FORWARD. 
  • Happy 4th Excon..........

Yeah, that's what I got.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 542 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold ;Again,  time moves FORWARD. 

Well that may be so but so but that has nothing to do with what is closer and there are many cultures like the eskimoes who think time moves back woods so what your trying to suggest just doesn't jell does it.

• jackjack 461 Pts   -  

Hello J:

Let's say you're in a car on a one way street headed AWAY from your house.  Let's also say your mom is in another car that's exactly the same distance from your house, but she's on a one way street headed TOWARDS your house.    

Now, you can say, because of the one way streets, your mom will get to your house before you do.  But, that's the answer to the question you DIDN'T ask.  You wondered which one is CLOSER, not which one will get there first.. 

excon

You did not ask how much away it was from midnight. You asked how close it was to midnight, and the answer is 3 minutes, not 23 hours 57 minutes. Daytime is a periodic function which you can visualize as a circle (a clock), and the length of the minimum arc connecting the points 12:00 am and 12:03 am is 3 minutes.

Sorry, Jules, but you are objectively mistaken here.
    Argument Topic: Nope

@MayCaesar
    12:03am will become 12:04am and become midnight 23 hours 57 minutes later.

Reality.
    @JulesKorngold ;12:03am will become 12:04am and become midnight 23 hours 57 minutes later. Reality.

So what. Your not saying what the relevance of that is and what the earth time moving forward has to do with what time is closer. I think that youll find that trying to fob off such un intelligent conespts isn't very smart.
  • You are all right...
    @MayCaesar

Reality.
    The reality is, you did not even attempt to understand my comment. What you just wrote is not false, but it has nothing to do with the question you asked the community.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 542 Pts   -   edited July 2023
    @MayCaesar @JulesKorngold ;The reality is, you did not even attempt to understand my comment. What you just wrote is not false, but it has nothing to do with the question you asked the community.

The realty is that Kornholed invents his own realty and wants every one to respond with stuff down the alley way that he dicktates. tell him that his concetps are dummer than a 3 year old tard with terminal brain cancer and he just ignores you because he just doesn't know what to do. You cant tell him that going to those dum night school classes on philosophy dont work and the pre school brain teezers any one could Google any way. He just thinks that people should use there brains figuring out dum stuff that bots can do and doesnt face the realty that we use our brains for better things nower days any way.

MayCaesar said:
    @MayCaesar

Reality.
    The reality is, you did not even attempt to understand my comment. What you just wrote is not false, but it has nothing to do with the question you asked the community.
    Who here really does understand time? You?
    What time once was when it was found and what it has been changed into by education process and computer science is not the same thing. Have a question ask?
    I might describe time like a sextant might be described a time is to measure angles between astronomical objects and the horizon for the purpose of celestial navigation. The exploration of space by NASA has shaped time to accommodate radio directional location basically through multiple satellites. We can say that 12:00 pm is one location Greenwich England which is compared to constantly as reference. 12:00 am and 12:03 are is still Greenwich England.

Edited 5:46am 07/08/2023
    @John_C_87 @MayCaeser ;Who here does? You?

I dont know any single topic where he hasn't told evry one here that they didn't read or under stand what he said. The point is that some people get there head court up so far up them selves they start thinking that every one else should under stand the illogical dog mess that there pushing out of there own mouths. Just saying.

@Barnardot

I apologize to MayCaesar it is not what I was trying to say and will correct my post. What I meant to write was who here really understands time. As time has developed in many ways to have a human type of persona over the years to suit many needs and hide flaws in mathematics. I would go as far as to call the process of alluring time a conspiracy.

• just_sayinjust_sayin 996 Pts   -  
    @John_C_87
    A pilot takes off at an airport at precisely 12:00 noon, flies for three minutes and turns the plane 180 degrees, returning directly to the airport and lands in three minutes on the same runway. At what time does the pilot’s plane land at the airport?
    11:55 am?
    11:03 am?
    12:00 am?
    12:06 am?
    12:03 am?

Since time is measured based off of the airport location the plane leaves and lands at itself, then its is 12:03 am.  

@just_sayin

Three minutes out, three minutes return, is six minutes of travel. In what was based as Greenwich mean time. Located in Greenwich London. The funny thing is that time is measured in what can be described as two ways. First, we have atomic decay. The second way is gravitational decay by rotation. However, the whole truth is both are just forms of gravitational decay at opposite ends of a scale. Atomic decay just takes place over a longer period of duration and is scaled down to give an illusion of precision, the idea of a much smaller scale is to act as a synchronization precision. The argument is mathematically different though as geometrically one form of time is using a tangent the other uses multiple mathematic chords.

Best link I could find

Chords, Secants, and Tangents - Expii

• just_sayinjust_sayin 996 Pts   -  
    @John_C_87
    You are right.  6 minutes total flight time.