frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Israeli Judicial Reform

Debate Information

Over the past several months, we have seen waves of protests sweep the tiny country of Israel over proposals to fundamentally change the Judiciary system of the country. The proposals, pushed by Benjamin Netanyahu of Likud have these three following premises:
The supreme court has no ability to challenge the basic laws of Israel. (The basic laws effectively serve as an unofficial constitution for Israel, and as such, the government wishes to stop the court from reviewing said laws. Akin to how in countries like the USA, their supreme courts cannot challenge the constitution).
The second most notable reform would be abolishing the term "unreasonableness" in Israeli judiciary discord. Wherein the Israeli supreme court is able to strike down essentially any law it deems to be unreasonable(akin to the British system of law).
And the third and final proposed reform would be to classify legal advisors from independent authorities to political counsels. And whose opinions lack any binding on the government. This would (in theory) low the risk of corruption through legal counsels influencing government action. But this piece of legislation appears to be the least important.

So, we are left with two questions:
Are the reforms good in principle? And what effect will it have on Israel in the coming weeks, months, years, and decades?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    I do not understand the Israeli system of government, so I have to be careful here.    But from what little I do know the Israelis High Court is not like what goes on in other western High courts.   I could be wrong on that, and I will stand corrected if called out.    But from what I understand, the Israeli High court can review EVERY law passed by the Knesset.  The Israeli High Court apparently full of lefties, and so the right wing government can not get any legislation passed, something which has frustrated the present right wing Israeli government.  

This is different to say, the USA, where the High Court adjudicates on whether a law passed by state or federal governments is constitutional.   The three recent cases which involved student loan forgiveness by the Biden administration, and the racial quota admission system in US ivy league universities, are examples of this.  
  • @Bogan
    But from what I understand, the Israeli High Court can review EVERY law passed by the Knesset.
    That is true. Due to the lack of a formal Israeli constitution, they can decide on virtually any law or regulation. Including the "basic laws" which effectively serve as the constitution of the country, uphold many protected liberties, and define the nature of the State of Israel.
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    So, you get an unelected body of pseudo aristocrats over riding the people's parliament?      Sounds a bit like what the Democrats, the Biden administration, and elitists in general, only dream about?  
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    I am intrinsically skeptical of reforms initiated by heads of one branch of power that would decrease another branch's power. Whether this reform is warranted or not, I cannot say, but I seriously doubt that Netanyahu is pushing it out of desire to balance the branches up, rather than out of desire to increase his own political power.

If these reforms were pushed by independent groups, they would warrant closer examination. As such, they constitute usual power struggles in my eyes.