frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Does America Have God On Its Side?

Debate Information

Whether or not America has God on its side is a question that has been debated for centuries. There is no easy answer, as it depends on one's interpretation of scripture and history.

Some people believe that God has blessed America because of its commitment to religious freedom and its role in spreading democracy around the world. They point to America's economic prosperity, military strength, and cultural influence as evidence of God's favor.

Others believe that America has fallen short of God's standards and is therefore no longer deserving of His blessing. They point to America's history of racism, sexism, and violence as evidence of God's judgment.

Ultimately, the question of whether or not America has God on its side is a matter of faith. There is no scientific evidence to prove or disprove either side of the argument.

Here are some biblical verses that are often cited in support of the view that America has God on its side:

• "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people whom He has chosen as His own inheritance." (Psalm 33:12)
  • "For Thou hast made us a kingdom of priests to serve our God, for Thou hast given to us the land of Thy heritage, a most beautiful land." (Exodus 19:5-6)
  • "And I will establish My covenant between Me and you, and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you." (Genesis 17:7)

Here are some biblical verses that are often cited in support of the view that America has fallen short of God's standards and is therefore no longer deserving of His blessing:

• "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!" (Isaiah 5:20)
  • "For the wicked will be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord will inherit the land." (Psalm 37:9)
  • "If My people who are called by My name humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:14)
God.jpg 229.8K

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold Well I have to say now that America doesn't have God on its side because I have come to the stark realty that God is just a load of made up baloney any way. Any way even if your religious even God doesn't come so easy and Godheads should realise that God just doesn't take sides and God just doesn't give his back automatically.

Remember what Bob Kennedy said when he said that dont ask what America can do for you ask what you can do for America. So if all the God heads just ask what they can do for God then may be they just might find that God might do some thing for them.
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold
    I think there needs to be a lot of nuisance brought to this discussion.  Is the America of today the same as when it was founded?  No.  I don't think the real question is God on America's side, but is America still on God's side.  The religious history of the US and its commitment to God and Christianity in particular are undeniable.

(See Library of Congress' Faith of Our Faither's Exhibit (follow all the links) for all references that follow)

1) All of the original 13 colonies constitutions and the Magna Carta say they were establish for the glory of God and most explicitly reference Christ or the Church in them.
    2) 2/3rds of all the signers of the Declaration of Independence were clergy.
    3) The first official act of congress was a 4 hour prayer meeting.

George Washington said:

“It is impossible to govern the universe, without the aid of a Supreme Being. It is impossible to reason, without arriving at a Supreme Being. Religion is as necessary to reason, as reason is to religion"

In his first year as president, Washington said, “It is the duty of all nations, to acknowledge the Providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor.”

He believed the US could only prosper if it followed God:

“The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained.”

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    In this gigantic 14+ billion year old Universe with trillions of galaxies, each possibly containing up to trillions of star systems, each possibly containing up to tens of planets, each planet throughout its existence possibly harboring trillions of trillions of living species - for allegedly an omnipotent being to be on the side of a bunch of mammalians that have lived on a patch of land of one planet for two and a half centuries, said being must have some debilitating mental illness... which makes one wonder how it managed to create this Universe without seriously screwing something up. Or maybe it did screw it up? Who knows!
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2763 Pts   -   edited September 2023
    @JulesKorngold

Okay, but how about you now emulating a human perspective on this topic as opposed to an AI-generated neutral perspective?  ;)

https://copyleaks.com/ai-content-detector

PS: This was just one of several AI-generated content detectors. FYI, if you are going to do this in higher-tier academic institutions you will likely get spotted very quickly. In addition to that if you regularly use AI like this you are depriving and cheating yourself of a learning process whereby you enhance academic rigor, critical reasoning skills, and debate mastery. AI is good for simple and quick tasks but is no substitute for improving one's learning and critical thinking abilities. Nor is it always correct, factual, updated, and forth.             
    MayCaesar

• BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -   edited September 2023
    @MayCaesar ;for allegedly an omnipotent being to be on the side of a bunch of mammalians that have lived on a patch of land of one planet for two and a half centuries, said being must have some debilitating mental illness..

I totally agree and the hole idea of God blessing America is well does he bless America and not other countries because they dont sucker up to the same God or what. Thats just the old argument of because I am Christian I am right and Im better than any one else. Its an arrogant and fruit less and unproductive argument to say that God favors one land and not others for what ever the reason.